Baldur's Gate and Baldur's Gate II Enhanced Editions Announced

Lorfean

http://www.baldursga...s-art-director/

Some new art. Me likey.

Yeah. What exactly is going to be the art director's role in a project that basically has all the art already done? Just for the new areas then?

Seriously though. Since you are apparently following this quite closely, have they mentioned any changes to common hardcoded annoyances? I'm thinking stuff like <CHARNAME> petrification/imprisonment = game over, fully charmed party = game over, etc. That's the kind of thing that should be a piece of cake for pro developers to fix, but has been known to cause no end of grief to players.

Bah, even I, the pussiest of **** gamers have no problem with those. Wasted resources, working as intended.

True...

Must be pretty cool to never fail a save. And no, that sort of thing is deffo not WAD. I guess all this longtime fan "support the bestest game evar" talk comes apart when you start discussing the actual game.

Of course, I understand how zoom is way more important than silly, peripheral stuff like bugfixing.

Ah, why do I bother.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Oooh, I like his Friendly Arm Inn pic.

I don't. This art looks like something people were making back in 2001. Even though this means looking like actual original art.

Like that Da Vinci guy - wow that Renaissance art sucked.

• Like 1

sonsofgygax.JPG

http://www.baldursga...s-art-director/

Some new art. Me likey.

Yeah. What exactly is going to be the art director's role in a project that basically has all the art already done? Just for the new areas then?

I assume it is because of the new resolutions, the loading screens and backgrounds are being reworked, mainly because the originals are a fixed size and probably look horrible when scaled. Similar to what the PST Widescreen mod did. Which is AWESOME.

• Like 1

Must be pretty cool to never fail a save. And no, that sort of thing is deffo not WAD. I guess all this longtime fan "support the bestest game evar" talk comes apart when you start discussing the actual game.

I don't mean to say I've never lost due to one or several of these circumstances, just that I think it's fair that you do lose the game when they occur.

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.baldursga...hanced-edition/

Sam Hulick composing music for new areas in BGEE.

Was the Mass Effect music any good?

J.

If you don't remember it, is that a good sign?

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

J.

Apart from the main and vigil themes, he wrote everything that was good in the three games. I haven't heard his non-ME work, but I've heard a lot of people rave about his Red Orchestra 2 score. I'm fairly confident that it will be true to the BG feel and of high quality. I understand he's a pretty major fan of the original game and score.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

• 2 months later...

New BGEE features introduced; areas, adventures and characters..

Looks like Gromnir's kid brother will play a significant role in the new BG adventures. Dorn Il-Khan!

I'll take great pleasure in sending him nekkid against the first pack of gibberlings I run into. :cat:

J.

Heh... was under the impression that Grom (the boardie) was actually a little perturbed at the scope/prominence of his cameo in ToB. Can only chuckle to think how much he'll enjoy the fact that Beamdog is evidently expanding on that and using his character's supposed family as a tie-in for a potential BG3 (unverified rumour, that one, so far as I know -- can't be bothered to check right now). Is not more Gromnir, but it's the next closest thing: Gromnir by proxy.

Some cameos will never die.

Ever.

I'll be buying this, I've dabbled with a modded Baldur's Gate before but I never played more than a few hours so this will be a whole new experience for me, can't wait.

J.

If you don't remember it, is that a good sign?

I tend to think that film/game music you can't remember is at least competent, it's better than music that obviously grates but I'd prefer music that affects my emotions and sticks in my mind.

Edited by WDeranged

Might sound slightly entitled and well outright spoiled but since this is an enhanced edition, do those who already own the game recieve this as a free download, like with the Witcher games or is it a paid for mod? I'm not advocating either possibility mind you, just wondering.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Might sound slightly entitled and well outright spoiled but since this is an enhanced edition, do those who already own the game recieve this as a free download, like with the Witcher games or is it a paid for mod? I'm not advocating either possibility mind you, just wondering.

Nope.

• Like 1

Oooh, I like his Friendly Arm Inn pic.

I don't. This art looks like something people were making back in 2001. Even though this means looking like actual original art.

Like that Da Vinci guy - wow that Renaissance art sucked.

Well he 'cheated', fine for a comuter game I suppose, but the sky and the geometry are curtesy of a 3d program. I prefer one or the other. Give me a tarted up engine render of the or a 100% line drawing. Traces of editing software and the process in the final result bother me for some reason.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

Thankyou Mr Ever.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

I'm now completely torn. I downloaded the mod that converts BG1 into BG2 etc. I've got loads of other mods loaded into it. I've got a great game on the go.

But I'd really like the extra stuff the enhanced edition is offering, but not for that price. Maybe I should support it out of principle, I love BG.

sonsofgygax.JPG

I'm now completely torn. I downloaded the mod that converts BG1 into BG2 etc. I've got loads of other mods loaded into it. I've got a great game on the go.

But I'd really like the extra stuff the enhanced edition is offering, but not for that price. Maybe I should support it out of principle, I love BG.

Do it for the water. The blue water, not the green one. Remember, these are people who left Bioware to work on better games. ;)

An acquaintance of mine who's still heavily involved with the hobby posits that a part of the essence of Bhaal is still bound to the waters rushing under the Boarskeyr bridge in Cormyr, do you think this could be used as a springboard from which to resurrect the franchise while still maintaining a certain level of creative continuity? Seems a little hackneyed to me.

Tea for the teapot!

It (the corruption of the Winding Water from Boaresky Bridge onwards) was a story hook left to DMs during the 3e Dungeons & Dragons period, after which they basically nuked the whole setting. It's actually really close to Baldur's Gate, so it would allow the series to touch on the location that gave it it's name, as well.

• Like 1