Baldur's Gate and Baldur's Gate II Enhanced Editions Announced

Lorfean

I'm fairly sure R. Scott Campbell mentioned something about that critter and it's "origin" in a recent interview.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I was 10! I was still learning Engrish!

... I was already in university when I played BG1 (a bit late, in 2000, though).

I now feel ancient. Thanks. :p

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

I played BG after BG2 came out, so I don't think I know about that. Enlighten me!

I don't remember the particular furor Gromnir is referring to, but The Vampire's Revenge easter egg in Tales of the Sword Coast might have something to do with it.

In the Firewine Ruins the player encounters an undead knight who drops an item called "Ancient Armor". The armor is meant to be given to the knight's ghostly comrades, who were betrayed by him and can be found elsewhere in the dungeon, but if the player keeps the item and also has the Stone Idol from the quest in the area with the archeaological digsite (area 4100), they can talk to Ulcaster's Ghost at the ruins of Ulcaster, give him both items, and receive a sword called The Vampire's Revenge in return. The sword is a Longsword +1 with the following extra stats:

Special: Inflicts damage upon the wielder and heals the target.

Special: Affects intelligence in a negative manner.... I think.... duhhhhhh

So it's cursed and quite useless. Interestingly enough, I believe it is also one of the very few items that will import into BG2 along with your character, and can be found hidden behind the painting in Irenicus' dungeon, together with the Golden Pantaloons (if the imported character had them too). I don't think anything can be done with it in BG2 though.

Edited by Lorfean

Shadow Thief of the Obsidian Order

My Backloggery

I was 10! I was still learning Engrish!

... I was already in university when I played BG1 (a bit late, in 2000, though).

I now feel ancient. Thanks. :p

If it helps, the people in university make me feel ancient now.

Oh, wait...

• Like 1

What was actually the point of that small location in ToB? I can't remember what it was called but it was on the map, it was tiny patch of desert or oasis or something where nothing at all happens.

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

What was actually the point of that small location in ToB? I can't remember what it was called but it was on the map, it was tiny patch of desert or oasis or something where nothing at all happens.

You kill a metric ass ton of people and get a couple of decent weapons. Probably just a cut area they repurposed into a minor encounter, also shows that you've become rather impressively powerful when you can just kill an army. :p

Also shows general reactions to Bhaalspawn, I guess.

...munchkins 'round the world, rejoice... :getlost:

...WHO LUVS YA, BABY!!...

A long, long time ago, but I can still remember,
How the Trolling used to make me smile.
And I knew if I had my chance, I could egg on a few Trolls to "dance",
And maybe we'd be happy for a while.
But then Krackhead left and so did Klown;
Volo and Turnip were banned, Mystake got run out o' town.
Bad news on the Front Page,
BIOweenia said goodbye in a heated rage.
I can't remember if I cried
When I heard that TORN was recently fried,
But sadness touched me deep inside,
The day...Black Isle died.

For tarna, Visc, an' the rest o' the ol' Islanders that fell along the way

They seem to be zooming in the graphics with open GL (keeping larger sprites on widescreen and other big resolutions) and post processing the original background art.

Also, if time allows BG1 will have BG2's interface done in its original greyish palette.

Additional difficulty settings might be included. New areas, new NPC and new quests.

BG2 ToB behaviour for all classes and kits in BG1 and 2.

(did I mention how much I hate twitter?)

They seem to be zooming in the graphics with open GL (keeping larger sprites on widescreen and other big resolutions) and post processing the original background art.

Also, if time allows BG1 will have BG2's interface done in its original greyish palette.

Additional difficulty settings might be included. New areas, new NPC and new quests.

BG2 ToB behaviour for all classes and kits in BG1 and 2.

(did I mention how much I hate twitter?)

You missed the one where he said they have 2 of the original BG background artists on the team. ;)

I REALLY hope they do the old grey+gold palette for BG1, personally.

They're implementing a zoom function usable via the mouse wheel. Pretty cool if you ask me.

I wish someone would give Fallout 1&2 that treatment so I might actually enjoy playing them instead of constantly reminding myself to ignore the ugly graphics and slow, uninteresting combat.

Edited by Drowsy Emperor

I'm guessing Sam Hulick's the new composer, btw. but this is just a hunch based on some tweets I saw a while back.

There was an interesting tweet today also about how threading was broken in ToB and by fixing that, they sorted a lot of the issues it had.

is this going to be on steam or gog?

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Beamdog exclusive.
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

:lol::teehee::huh::blink::facepalm:

a summary of my emotions in response to "beamdog exclusive"

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Beamdog exclusive.

From what I understand steam is being considered. Or at least it was mentioned some time ago.