Baldur's Gate and Baldur's Gate II Enhanced Editions Announced

Lorfean

Do you think the IP holders would sign off on a BG3 that uses 2E or would they be forced to use 4E?

Depends on the time frame, 4e is getting replaced with a new edition in the very near future (this year, I think?), so the most likely choices are either the 2.5e with sorcerer n' stuff or 5e.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

I didn't even get the chance to learn anything about 4E. :o I assume it's like D&D Vista then? Were there even any electronic format games based on it?

Though I have to say personally that I don't care all that much for the number crunching these days, preplanning levels, making a properly balanced party covering key abilties, that kind of thing. Would have been inconceivable for me to say a decade ago but yeah.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

3e ended up being my favorite, but even then my group uses a lot of houserules.

i have high, but cautious hopes for 5e, i think they realized what a misstep 4e was. im glad there were no games based on 4e, they would have been terrible

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

"Its time for this new generation of QTE gamers to learn what a real RPG is."

BG1 is a HORRIBLE example of what a RPG is. LMAO Unless you believe 'REAL' rpgs ar ejust dungeon crawlers with stats.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

"Its time for this new generation of QTE gamers to learn what a real RPG is."

BG1 is a HORRIBLE example of what a RPG is. LMAO Unless you believe 'REAL' rpgs ar ejust dungeon crawlers with stats.

NWN fans don't get a vote in the issue.

Due to lack of taste.

Edited by Drowsy Emperor

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

I look forward to BG1 using the ToB version of the game engine.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

@ Boo: Says the guy whom claims a reodent is the best npc of all time. NWN has more RPG in its pinky finmger than the Bg franchice has in its entirety.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I still feel sad that the Icewind Gate project never finished. Would have loved to play them on the Icewind Dale II engine.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I still feel sad that the Icewind Gate project never finished. Would have loved to play them on the Icewind Dale II engine.

The quote was "using the latest version of the engine", which was extrapolated into ToB. Based on the system they are using, ToB is more likely, but let's see what we get, first. ;)

The quote was "using the latest version of the engine", which was extrapolated into ToB. Based on the system they are using, ToB is more likely, but let's see what we get, first. ;)

No, the quote mentions the Throne of Bhaal codebase specifically: https://twitter.com/#!/TrentOster/status/180387224926429184 (I'm too lazy to use the new idiotic linking interface)

No, the quote mentions the Throne of Bhaal codebase specifically: https://twitter.com/...387224926429184 (I'm too lazy to use the new idiotic linking interface)

Oh, my bad then, thanks for clearing that up.

And yes, linking took a major step back with the forum upgrades. That "link to a twitter account" function seems pretty useless, isn't there an alternative that would allow to embed a specific tweet?

You point, I punch. Taken too literally.

I'm more interested in the proposed improvements to the "rendering" whatever the hell that means.

I'm hoping for the ability to play the game at higher resolution without making everything tiny. Maybe redrawn sprites - they're the most dated aspect of the graphics.

I have a 22" screen and while BGII looks phenomenal on it with a widescreen mod, the characters are about 1.5 cm tall, and I can see most of any map I'm on. Reducing the resolution under native 1680*1050 is out of the question, on LCD's it makes everything look like crap.

The font is also too tiny to be practical.

Edited by Drowsy Emperor

It does look pretty on the iPad but I don't see how its going to be practical to play for longer than 20 minutes.

Is that the enhanced version? Looks pretty vanilla BG 1998 to me..

Hopefully there will be some screenshots soon.

The character sprites are BG2- style...

Though, tbh, I can't recognise the area, so I guess it could be BG2 with a fully-created party.

I think that's the opening combat tutorial.