Baldur's Gate and Baldur's Gate II Enhanced Editions Announced

Lorfean

Considering that an ios remake represents probably the only possible way for the genre to make a return, it would be wonderful news.

http://forums.gibber...ic=22624&st=405

I'm kinda skeptical that an iOS port/remake is what this is about, considering you can already get that, for free. I've been known to be wrong, though.

Yeah, you can play it "for free" if you hack your phone/tablet and void the warranty etc. Definitely no call for a real port. *eyeroll*

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Yeah, you can play it "for free" if you hack your phone/tablet and void the warranty etc. Definitely no call for a real port. *eyeroll*

You can roll your eyes until you get dizzy and fall flat on your ass, but my point was rather that the IP holder would want to shut down a project that may cut into their profits, and apparently that hasn't happened. Yet, anyway.

And seriously, "hacking" your device? Jailbreaking the thing -and reversing the jailbreak- is something even grandma could do. Yeah, yeah. Apple will hate you and Jobs' ghost will haunt your dreams with endless, plumbeous tales of how he became a really cool dude. Whatever...

Edited by 213374U

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, first time I've heard of this.

A remake would be cool, but I'd rather have something new based on the Infinity Engine.

Who owns the rights to the old Infinity Engine games? Do they need approval from the DnD company to remake this stuff?

Does Bioware still own the rights to the Infinty Engine?

Edited by Azure79

I can't remember all the rights hoopla, but I strongly, strongly doubt this is anything truly exciting.

IE games have held up very well, especially with the widescreen mod, and look quite good already; fans with hundreds of mods have kept the game fresh as well. A HD remake that pulls the trilogy together would be nice, but isn't a big thing, especially not if it breaks mod compatibility. It could be some form of BG3, in that case, who are these guys? Can they make a good game? Sure we know Trent Oster but it's a wait-and-see thing.

What would really be so much better is a new IE-style game, but that doesn't quite match with the promo style.

That would be my main concern as well. I couldn't imagine playing vanilla BG with all the cool mods out there. Not to mention I still think the games look very good.

All I would like are some unique character images for each class and better combat animations really.

"a new infinity engine game made with love and care by someone who "gets it" "

BIO (and therefore ES0 owns the IE so they'll be deciding who uses the IE for a game.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Eleven hours to go. The one thing that still makes me very curious about this is the mention of "resurrecting" the infinity engine. I just hope it means an HD remake instead of something cringe-worthy like an iPad port or a browser game, or sth... Though I doubt they'd make such a fuss if it wasn't something they believed would excite fans of the series.

Shadow Thief of the Obsidian Order

My Backloggery

Eleven hours to go. The one thing that still makes me very curious about this is the mention of "resurrecting" the infinity engine. I just hope it means an HD remake instead of something cringe-worthy like an iPad port or a browser game, or sth... Though I doubt they'd make such a fuss if it wasn't something they believed would excite fans of the series.

With the new ipad resolutions, having a combined hd/ipad etc.version isn't exactly unfathomable. You guys are so high on your elitism, you fail to see the opportunities.

It's not elitism, I just don't have any interest in an iPad version. I don't own an iPad and I'm not interested in the iPad as a gaming platform, or in playing games like BG on *any* portable gaming device for that matter... And because of my preferences I think it would be a shame if that's what this project turns out to be.

Shadow Thief of the Obsidian Order

My Backloggery

They can make as many tablet versions as they like as long as I don't feel like I'm playing an iPad port on my PC...

"Tap the screen to continue" :biggrin:

It's not elitism, I just don't have any interest in an iPad version. I don't own an iPad and I'm not interested in the iPad as a gaming platform, or in playing games like BG on *any* portable gaming device for that matter... And because of my preferences I think it would be a shame if that's what this project turns out to be.

Well now, your opinion is noted. :)

But I'd play the heck out of an iPad version, provided they successfully implement a usable touch-based interface. In fact, I'd love to see first-class ports of more old isometric games (e.g. JA2).

Edited by Diamond

At this point it would also be a tad too much hype for an iOS port, imo. But who knows.

Always expect to be disappointed. And ios isn't exactly a small platform these days.

And the Mac versions of Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 haven't worked for years! ;)

You people and your crappy thread titles. :(

YAAAAAY

• Like 1
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I don't know whether to be happy or scared. Gaider's patches to Baldur's Gate 2 were good. But will he be able to put his nostalgia glasses on? Or maybe Gaider's not himself involved and he's just drawing attention to it.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I don't know whether to be happy or scared. Gaider's patches to Baldur's Gate 2 were good. But will he be able to put his nostalgia glasses on? Or maybe Gaider's not himself involved and he's just drawing attention to it.

Ascension fully rolled in. Boom. :p