Avellone asks for your kickstarter ideas

C2B

Sawyer should just remake Darklands... but give it a different name since I doubt the could get the rights to that game.

Who was it that was wanting to do a setting described as Lord of the Rings if Sauron won? Was that Sawyer?

Feargus was the one who described the defiance pitch that way. No idea who came up with it though.

Sawyer should just remake Darklands... but give it a different name since I doubt the could get the rights to that game.

I think Atari owns the Darklands property, but the "IP" is essentially the 15th century HRE.

Tease me, tease me, tease me baby, I'm about to lose control. :banana:

I sometimes wonder whether there is a place for surreal romaticism in fantasy games. Luxurious and sumptuous epics that wallow in idle contemplation and dream like monotony, before soaring into the heady thrill of action and rushing sensation. Beautiful and illogical mindscapes that defy all physics and twist Escher like through limitless skies, an impressionistic foray into beauty unbound by reality.

Yes album covers brought into being, Michael Moor****s prose given interactivity and progressive rock given a graphical medium. Something truly fantastic and otherworldly in our fantasy, startling and at times disturbing imagery that hints of metaphor and philosophy while maintaining itself as a viable experience with its atmosphere and gameplay.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Who was it that was wanting to do a setting described as Lord of the Rings if Sauron won? Was that Sawyer?

I'm burnt out on elves but I could definitely go for some post-apocalypse fantasy, industrialisation could play a part too, similar to what happens in The Shire at the end of the novels.

^ Echoing the demihuman fatigue, and I'll toss in alien species in the same breath - which just makes a Darklands-esque take on fantasy, or indeed a similar approach applied instead to sci-fi, very attractive to me.

So in the end, I don't care whether they want to throw classical era fantasy, medieval fantasy, Victorian fantasy, contemporary urban, steampunk, cyberpunk or far-future sci-fi at me - just make it a humans-only affair. After all, humans can be as vile, mysterious, deceptive and downright ugly as any monster or alien. Give me a human adversary instead of some ancient god, orcs, dragons, demons, insectoid aliens or indeed reapers.

Edited by Humanoid

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

I think Atari owns the Darklands property, but the "IP" is essentially the 15th century HRE.

That's actually one of the possible reasons why old PnP RPG settings are based on real world, historical or not. The settings such as Sherlock Holmes and Lovecraft were quite popular, too. In any case, considering how cool the PS:T design document was, I'd rather like yous to go for original IP/any flexible setting which can be expanded with interesting ideas. So, guess I'm with Humanoid, here. Content-wise, I can be optimistic. I prefer original IP but it's just that original IP would let the designers free from some legal restrictions.

Rather, I guess I have a peculiar taste considering the game-play sector - I cannot get myself into point'n click adventure games even when it comes to some my favourite settings. I cannot put my finger on what's exactly wrong with me but I hate it when I'm stopped simply because I overlooked a dot in the given picture.

Been busy enough to miss Double Fine project but managed to put some money on Wasteland 2, although I found it is not quite fun to deal with radiation in daily basis, especially while forced to hear stupid "politically correct" info. Hope this Kickstarter thingy will work well for both of us.

Tease me, tease me, tease me baby, I'm about to lose control. :banana:

Well, should be cautious. Kickstater may have its potential but, when a game development doesn't go well, it won't go anywhere - we should know the risk, too, after all, it's just a kind of investment. Personally, I think it worth a try, though.

It's defenitely worth a try. The question is, when will they try?

We have The Banner Saga, Wasteland 2 and Shadowrun Returns as successful examples. Take advantage of that and announce something. I think an Obsidian announced kickstarter Rpg would do very well. Maybe I'm crazy, but I do think they could pull off Wasteland 2 numbers, or maybe I'm being naive.

It's defenitely worth a try. The question is, when will they try?

We have The Banner Saga, Wasteland 2 and Shadowrun Returns as successful examples. Take advantage of that and announce something. I think an Obsidian announced kickstarter Rpg would do very well. Maybe I'm crazy, but I do think they could pull off Wasteland 2 numbers, or maybe I'm being naive.

I think they'd want to wait at least a month or two, a lot of people are paying off their contributions to the games you mentioned (and some others...) Gonna be interesting to see what the Two Guys from Andromeda do...

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

I'm burnt out on elves but I could definitely go for some post-apocalypse fantasy, industrialisation could play a part too, similar to what happens in The Shire at the end of the novels.

I am also SO so so burned out on Fantasy (granted I still like D&D but that's about it). A PA Fantasy setting would be UTTERLY AWESOME. There are so many possibilities........

• 3 weeks later...

This country has a severe shortage of Gruy

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Australia in general has an odd relationship with cheese - raw (read: unpasteurised) milk and products derived thereof are generally banned from production and sale because of perceived health risks. It is one case where it's hard to argue the overused "nanny state" cries aren't accurate.

That said, there is a loophole for milk at least, that permits its sale for external use, e.g. for milk baths - and obviously there's nothing preventing the internal use of said "cosmetics" product.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

As long as Chris is working for Brian "Kicking Forward" Fargo, you better forget it for the moment

Since the writing is something that is done ahead of the coding, maybe we'll have news after this summer.

You should tweet the man himself for something more precise.

As long as Chris is working for Brian "Kicking Forward" Fargo, you better forget it for the moment

Since the writing is something that is done ahead of the coding, maybe we'll have news after this summer.

You should tweet the man himself for something more precise.

Well, Chris said that the Wasteland Kickstarter didn't influence work on their own kickstarters. So, I'd think someone's working on it.

Though, it has been a long time. And as I ranted before ^^ I still see it as a mistake that Obsidian didn't chime in at the beginning of the whole process. Projects still get funded (and I have no doubt in my mind Obsidian's will get as well) but the enthusiasm has died down and with it massivly overfunded projects.

• 5 weeks later...

http://www.gamelab.e...rence/speakers/

Chris Avellone

Creative Director of Obsidian Entertainment, Chris started his career at Interplay's Black Isle Studios division. Titles include Planescape: Torment, Fallout 2, the Icewind Dale series, Dark Alliance, Knights of the Old Republic II, Neverwinter Nights 2, Mask of the Betrayer, Alpha Protocol, Fallout: New Vegas, FNV DLC: Dead Money, Old World Blues, Lonesome Road, South Park, and now, Wasteland 2.

CONFERENCE

Kicking the Publishers Out: Kickstarter and Wasteland 2

Edited by funcroc

A bunch of cancelled RPGs

:(

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."