Avellone asks for your kickstarter ideas

C2B

Did Avellone look at the blog yet? Would be interesting to get some OE feedback on the kickstarter ideas.

Lots of wishes for a Plancescape followup.

Personally I'd like to see some Jefferson engine D&D stuff. :)

D.

Yes, quite a while ago.

• 2 weeks later...

But why ask for opinions then?

It was pretty obvious that the 2 things fans will want is Planescape/Icewind Dale setting-wise and decade old mechanics.

What's (if anything) is wrong with decade old mechanics? (Especially when the recent mechanics are often thought to be over simplified.)

I suggested they consider a 'Die By The Sword' successor, or a Blood & Magic successor. :w00t:

(I'd pay the same as I did for Skyrim for either of those done on a modern engine ~direct sequel or not.)

Edited by Gizmo

What's (if anything) is wrong with decade old mechanics? (Especially when the recent mechanics are often thought to be over simplified.)

The problem is that those mechanics either evolved or died off - and it happened for a reason.

I see no good reason to scorn modern game design or avoid wider audiences available today.

If anything it should be preferable to update the mechanics and keep the best parts of older games intact - then they can appeal to both groups.

Old mechanics become unpopular for a reason, yes. And they also come back for a reason. Those reasons are very complex and have nothing to do with any sort of evolution. Which, of course, is exactly what you mean when you say 'update & keep the best part of'.

The games industry took some clear forks in the road over its history - at the 1983 Atari crash, the mid-90s 'multimedia' boom, the 3DO/Playstation fork, etc., etc. Every time game design ends up 'evolving' in a particular direction. What's happening in the current years it that we're potentially getting the chance to explore a greater variety of directions, and this Kickstarter stuff is a part of that.

The problem is that those mechanics either evolved or died off - and it happened for a reason.

I see no good reason to scorn modern game design or avoid wider audiences available today.

If anything it should be preferable to update the mechanics and keep the best parts of older games intact - then they can appeal to both groups.

Try the BIoware or Bethesda forums if that's how you look at the industry and it's progression.

I request demand a game that blends the setting/atmosphere of Arcanum (Steampunk I guess the kids call it), complete with schematics and progression, with the amazing story, an amazing soundtrack, and the novel-like dialogue sequences that came with Planescape: Torment.

Have a nice day. :yes:

I request demand a game that blends the setting/atmosphere of Arcanum (Steampunk I guess the kids call it), complete with schematics and progression, with the amazing story, an amazing soundtrack, and the novel-like dialogue sequences that came with Planescape: Torment.

Have a nice day. :yes:

That'd be good... I wonder who has the Arcanum license? (Blizzard?)

A full blown Arcanum 2 would be great ~so long as it was not a first person hack-n-slash with a few multiple choice questions.

I wonder who has the Arcanum license? (Blizzard?)

Explain plx? :skeptical:

Activision owns the Arcanum copyright.

Ah... And Activision owns Blizzard right? (I mistakenly thought they had merged when I typed that.)

**Edit: Wait, looking on Wikipedia, they did merge sort of (at least it says so; it says that Activision runs the company but left Blizzard autonomous; but does that not mean that Blizzard effectively has the license ~could actually do an Arcanum 2 if they chose to?) It's interesting because of Leonard Boyarsky working at Blizzard, and having worked on Arcanum.

It looks like they also have had (owned) Treyarch for quite some time ~I had suggested a "Die by the Sword" sequel... but that too seems to be owned by ActiBlizzard.

Edited by Gizmo

If Blizzardtivision ever does an Arcanum 2 it will not be the kind of sequel you're hoping for. Even if Boyarsky is working on it.

Agreed. Publishers do not fund cRPG's anymore. Just Action games. It would be a horrible action game abomination based on a great cRPG.

If Blizzardtivision ever does an Arcanum 2 it will not be the kind of sequel you're hoping for. Even if Boyarsky is working on it.

I would think that would be obvious, which is why I'm not asking for Arcanum 2 from Obsidian crowd funder, merely a different yet similar Steampunk setting.

Yea, I personally couldn't put in another 250$ right now for a different title. So if they really want to start something, it should wait till the Wasteland 2 kickstarter stuff is done.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Waiting is good, but the problem is if they wait too long there might be a Wing Commander kickstarter, or a Master of Magic one or whatever now dead game genre people still desperately want (give me Quest for Glory now!). Obsidian would want to move sooner rather than later before it gets to the point where old game fans have 'preordered' $300 worth of games and don't have room for more.

Edited by Baeus

yeah, just send it my way. :)

I'm tempted to fill an envelope with pennies.
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Kickstart these rich developers? I thought they all owned huge mansions in Orange County.

I'll kickstart their Porsches by peeing in their gas tanks..

I own a 102 year-old farmhouse in Wisconsin and an 8 year-old Volkswagen. VW was founded by Ferdinand Porsche so maybe that counts.

• Like 2

"Avellone asks for your kickstarter ideas" and that was that. no word on if this will be a go or not.

"if everyone is dead then why don't i remember dying?"

—a clueless sod to a dustman

"if we're all alive then why don't i remember being born?"

—the dustman's response