What in the name of skilfully poised ****?

Walsingham

I think the reason the US has such high stats of mental illness is because every other thing is classified as an illness. I mean, a kid that can't pay attention or sit still is mentally ill? That would put half my primary school on meds.

Shrinks invent illnesses, the industry supplies the meds and everyone is happily doped up, social peace 100% guaranteed.

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

Way to go Gifted, now you've made him angry, heh.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I think the reason the US has such high stats of mental illness is because every other thing is classified as an illness. I mean, a kid that can't pay attention or sit still is mentally ill? That would put half my primary school on meds.

Shrinks invent illnesses, the industry supplies the meds and everyone is happily doped up, social peace 100% guaranteed.

Plus there's a cultural bias against responsibility and effort.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Just gonna say, as a mentally ill person myself (had 2 trips to state-run mental institutions for various reasons) I must ask:

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I think the reason the US has such high stats of mental illness is because every other thing is classified as an illness. I mean, a kid that can't pay attention or sit still is mentally ill? That would put half my primary school on meds. Shrinks invent illnesses, the industry supplies the meds and everyone is happily doped up, social peace 100% guaranteed.
Just gonna say, as a mentally ill person myself (had 2 trips to state-run mental institutions for various reasons)

I think he has a point though, when 'American Psychiatric Association' has declared "grief" a mental illness and open up a new market for treatment with drugs, it sounds like insanity to outsiders.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

You always need 2 to tango. The US truly has become a playground for Corp. experimentations.

meh.. It's not just the US. Look at the WHO advisors, whoring for big pharma, creating imaginary pandemics and whatnot.

US military improperly disposes of a large number of Islamic religious materials which includes Qurans.

Oh, the incompetence... I wouldn't even trust these nitwits with guarding my bathroom.

Well, if those reports are true. Afghans don't necessarily seem like really discerning folk.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

US military improperly disposes of a large number of Islamic religious materials which includes Qurans.

Oh, the incompetence... I wouldn't even trust these nitwits with guarding my bathroom.

So they can burn our flags but get angry if we do the same to their Holy book.

You know what let's just bomb these mothers out already.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

village_idiot.gif

Looks bad in the news carpet bombing the cities with FAEs, though.

Burn our flags and you barely hear a sigh, burn the Quaran and the whole muslim world go nuts..

(Signatures: disabled) 

Quick search shows burial in areas with little or no foot traffic, or placing it in flowing water.

A better comparison here in terms of burning is the bible, rather than flags. I doubt burning an Afghani flag would get this type of attention, actually.

Probably so, but intent has to be taken into account since Afghan willfully try to incite and offend the West and we only have to exist to offend them. I don't think that this was a deliberate attempt to cause injury to the Muslim community.

But quite frankly I'm tired of waiting for them to come around, the only sure fire way to educate savages is through cultural integration, so just conquer the **** out of them already.

village_idiot.gif

Remember, we are talking about people who have lived their entire lives surrounded by religious propaganda. I'm sure we would have seen the same ruckus if this had happened, with reversed roles, in medieval Europe or in very Christian parts of the US. The whole idea of us being able to be there and trying to make Afghanistan a better place is built on actually having the moral high ground, and not being the same as the religious extremists who live there. That would inevitably only lead to more war(s).

What do I care if somebody burns my flag (can't relate directly to someone burning the bible since I'm not part of any religious group...)? I don't know about you, but most of the Western world left behind the religious ignorance during the Age of Enlightenment and nationalist bigotry after the two great wars of the 20th century. This has allowed us to make scientific progress and to live in peace and harmony. If we want to spread these ideas to other countries the LAST thing we should do is to throw away everything we've learned and behave like barbarians ourselves!

Sadly, in the current state we are sending the worst scum imaginable - people desecrating corpses, killing innocents and posing with SS flags. It's like a situation from "1984". We sent soldiers with the (dubious) mission to protect us from terror - yet their very presence, because of incidents such as these, is the single greatest reason for terrorists to fight in the first place! It's a vicious circle. And the only way ever out of it is through compassion and understanding.

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"

Remember, we are talking about people who have lived their entire lives surrounded by religious propaganda. I'm sure we would have seen the same ruckus if this had happened, with reversed roles, in medieval Europe or in very Christian parts of the US. The whole idea of us being able to be there and trying to make Afghanistan a better place is built on actually having the moral high ground, and not being the same as the religious extremists who live there. That would inevitably only lead to more war(s).

I am not talking about ethics here since it's a lose-lose situation (like every other ethical problem) It's just a practical matter of them not being able to evolve since their status quo actively works against it. The only way to put an end to this it's through winning their hearts and minds; we already are relative and sympathetic to their view, it's time to shove ours down their throats until they see our way and can at the very least respect it without any flaring animosity. Heck I would be okay if they only stopped from pursuing their own Christians and women.

What do I care if somebody burns my flag (can't relate directly to someone burning the bible since I'm not part of any religious group...)? I don't know about you, but most of the Western world left behind the religious ignorance during the Age of Enlightenment and nationalist bigotry after the two great wars of the 20th century. This has allowed us to make scientific progress and to live in peace and harmony. If we want to spread these ideas to other countries the LAST thing we should do is to throw away everything we've learned and behave like barbarians ourselves!

It's precisely because we are not rioting when they burn our flags that the differences in our culture are evident, even the post 9/11 incidents of anti Muslim sentiment can't really compare to theirs. If we were able to actually converse and acknowledge when others are right despite any fundamental differences or how shattering it may be to our mental frames, then there would be no need for war. But as they will not; by their own volition, change then it is up to us to educate them. Throughout history the only way to do this was for the weaker culture to be absorbed into the greater one, because of American culture has spread through globalization it is a half won war. The only thing remaining is sending the right message and repress any unrest it may cause.

Sadly, in the current state we are sending the worst scum imaginable - people desecrating corpses, killing innocents and posing with SS flags. It's like a situation from "1984". We sent soldiers with the (dubious) mission to protect us from terror - yet their very presence, because of incidents such as these, is the single greatest reason for terrorists to fight in the first place! It's a vicious circle. And the only way ever out of it is through compassion and understanding.

You know from listening to you I get the feeling that you haven't seen this side of war too much. All wars go through this and this one is no exception, the mental exhaustion coupled with the stress and lack of leadership (or the wrong kind) will ultimately result in insubordination. Which when the flight or fight response its an all time high translates to the usual events.

What they actually teach you to cope with taking a human life is to dehumanize them, what they don't teach you it's how to remain human.

village_idiot.gif

It's precisely because we are not rioting when they burn our flags that the differences in our culture are evident

Flags used to be pretty important in European culture though. Wars waged and uncountable numbers of people killed over the use of (and desecration of) symbols. Heck, the Danish flag was given to the Danes by God during a military campaing in Estonia, liberating Estonia from the Estonians, complete with rays of sunlight, booming voice and the sounding of horns. It was used ever since, replacing the Raven banner.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein