What in the name of skilfully poised ****?

Walsingham

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/afghanistan/9073459/US-Marines-posed-with-banner-of-Nazi-SS.html

ssFLAG_2134019b.jpg

Where the **** does that begin to be sensible?

A huge part of me wants to reject it as a photoshop, but it's altogether too crazy.

• Like 2

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Western pro Wehrmacht propaganda is at fault. Nazis, while formally reviled are also treated as some sort of super soldiers that were only defeated because the Soviets had more men than they had bullets.

You just need to look at the history channel. There are more documentaries regarding the Nazis than all other topics combined. And those documentaries alternate between Hitler hate and Wehrmacht circle jerk.

Its no wonder many members of armed forces have the quiet adoration thing going.

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

And in other recent news, pissing on corpses is also in vogue with the marines:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2085378/US-troops-urinating-dead-Afghan-bodies-video-used-Taliban-recruitment-tool.html

And in other recent news, pissing on corpses is also in vogue with the marines:

http://www.dailymail...tment-tool.html

That's old news. Amd quite honestly while I can see it's a publicity own goal, if I'd just shot a bunch of ****ers whose stated intention is to enslave a nation and systematically rape its intellectual and social life then I'd probably vomit on them.

But posing with SS flashes?

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

There's other possibilities. Maybe nobody told them what it meant.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Scout Snipers. SS. Blame it on Hitler that scary, cool and menacing rune S's is forever tainted. I think maybe some people have moved on and others are still stuck in history.. I wonder when if ever these symbols can be used again without that historic taint or ambigiouty.

What the hell, why is this text so small.. Hm.. Ah switching editing mode.. Sub?! Delete done.

Edited by Janmanden
  • Like 1

(Signatures: disabled) 

Having thought about it more I think perhaps the weirdest thing is why a marine would imitate any other military outfit. I thought the POINT of being a jarhead was refusing to kowtow to anyone. Let alone a bunch of ubermensch wannabes who got soundly thrashed.

-Elwood Blues

Maybe they just like the band Kiss?

Kiss_Army_form.jpg

-Elwood Blues

There's that mixture of things about the Wehrmacht that tends to be easily confused. At the time, one of the praiseworthy aspects about it as a group was that it promoted by ability, rather then by class and family connections. One of the few armies of the day that really did that. A son of a baker could become an officer if he had the skills and ability.

On the other hand, they had a lot of political bias and the unconditional "following orders" that has a rather bad schtick from the historical viewpoint..

Either way, with all of the political connotations, it was a rather stupid thing for the Sniper Scouts to do..

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

They should probably stop letting soldiers have cameras, I think. I am pretty curious as to what the heck they were thinking by trying to identify themselves with the SS.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Long wars without any goals turn soldiers into ****ed up animals. What's the news?

If those guys come home and they don't get their AD's 'cause the Pharmamedical Industrial Complex wants more moniez, expect some "Fun" lethal accidents, while President Romney is gonna sing "America f-yeah!" to re-patriotinize his sheeple.

Move on, citizen.

The problem is that today's armies are effectively no more than mercenaries, a profession done more for the money than anything else. As such, they by default attract the stupid, poor, psychotic and criminals. And ignorance makes for a poor excuse.

@Wals: justifying pissing on corpses puts you just below Papua New Guinea's cannibals on the civilization scale.

Any soldier of a twentieth century european nation state, back when people had an idea just what they were fighting for, even if they were going the wrong way about it would consider these men no better than dogs.

If they can't stomach the fight, they shouldn't be in it.

Nah, he's right. Disrespecting corpses is something people of all nationalities do, if they're sufficiently angry/ hyped/ scared/ conditioned/ stupid. They should be run out of the military on a rail, but that's mainly because they are clearly just too stupid (hey guys, let's pose as we pee on corpses/ build nude prisoner pyramids/ stand in front of SS flags, it'll be a sweet memento!) to be away from mummy and daddy, let alone put in charge of weaponry. That's not just a US problem, it just tends to be more newsworthy when it is their problem.

If you want something to get grumpy about Hadaitha being worthy of a 3 month suspended sentence would be a better target, because that required extended malice rather than being potentially a one off nervous reaction or some hick ignorami posing in front of 'cool' symbols.

I still remember the outrage when Belgian paratroopers (the elite of the elite) pissed on Somalis in '90 or '91. That was before the military was pussified, and Belgian UN soldiers just let themselves be macheted by those nice Hutus in '94.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I still remember the outrage when Belgian paratroopers (the elite of the elite) pissed on Somalis in '90 or '91. That was before the military was pussified, and Belgian UN soldiers just let themselves be macheted by those nice Hutus in '94.

The UN had no mandate to use force in Rwanda IIRC. Some of them weren't even armed. That whole crisis was a disaster, but it Belgian involvement that led to it in the first place, with the classic colonial policy of supporting an ethnic minority rule over an ethnic majority. That led to a lot of bad blood and the outcome was predictable.

Strictly speaking they aren't even separate ethincities - from what I was taught in my peace studies course they were basically one ethnicity but two separate lifestyles (cattle grazing and agriculture.) . I don't know how correct that is however.

Regardless, Morgoth is right. Barbaric acts in war shouldn't be tolerated with a systematic slap on the wrist policy the US has.

Those people will one day come back home and they might be pissing on corpses after a killing spree in an american city next.

Even if they don't its simply unethical.

I can't believe how much you guys are trying to rationalise this. I've seen outrage in threads about video game reviews but in here these is mild distaste coupled with understanding? Frankly, I'm almost equally disturbed and appalled by the subject of the thread and the contents of the replies in it.

• Like 1

According to Shake Hands with the Devil (from memory), the Belgians merely succeeded in breaking discipline by acting like hired goons, and ****ing what llittle credibility the UN had with the various parties. Their CO was furious.

-Elwood Blues