DS3:My thoughts.

Personally I found the game totally enjoyable. Loved the characters, the story was very "human" almost wasted on an action RPG. On the down side , the view felt very outdated and while I liked the book format, I can't help but see my friends side of things when he called it cheap.

If you take FF XIII and its shinyness , but having one button gameplay. DS3 is the opposite end of the scale, the gameplay is absorbing, but the game is lacking in production values.

Never underestimate just how much shinyness can have people overlooking any number of faults. Especially once you step into the more general market.

I think it was the same with FO3 and FO:NV. FO:NV had a much more involving and complex story , but built on the same engine as FO3 and not having the same wow factor. Bugs never help either, but I never actually came across any in DS3 (maybe I was lucky I don't know). Unlike Alpha Protocol and FO:NV.

As an action RPG DS3 pushed all the right buttons (maybe a tad too hard for the ultra casual though) but as a game in todays market I think if you want big numbers then you need to push the production values as well. That way even if your "game" sucks people will still be captivated by the cinematics and overlook it.

Of course I have no idea of the cost vs profit of the game so it could have done well in that respect.

I recently discovered I can no longer play any pure action RPGs where one spends 95% of one's time in linear corridors or small to big maps just killing things or fetch various items for villagers. I tried replaying Loki: Age of Mythology and Titan Quest and got bored after ten minutes (strangely enough, though, I was able to replay Space Siege a few months back, it must've been the sci-fi setting plus the fact that the game can be beaten in less than 3 hours).

I still appreciate an action RPG like Divine Divinity and Divinity 2 where the mold of endless grinding is broking by a large world to explore, lots of interesting NPCs to talk to, humour and sidequests that go beyond "kill X/fetch Y". Even Dungeon Siege 2 kinda had this, plus it had the advantage over other action RPGs that it was party based (while Dungeon Siege 1 had the advantage of a seamless world and fairly cutting edge graphics for the time).

So, my question: does Dungeon Siege 3 have any of these aforementioned elements or is it just endless killing and looting?

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

I recently discovered I can no longer play any pure action RPGs where one spends 95% of one's time in linear corridors or small to big maps just killing things or fetch various items for villagers. I tried replaying Loki: Age of Mythology and Titan Quest and got bored after ten minutes (strangely enough, though, I was able to replay Space Siege a few months back, it must've been the sci-fi setting plus the fact that the game can be beaten in less than 3 hours).

I still appreciate an action RPG like Divine Divinity and Divinity 2 where the mold of endless grinding is broking by a large world to explore, lots of interesting NPCs to talk to, humour and sidequests that go beyond "kill X/fetch Y". Even Dungeon Siege 2 kinda had this, plus it had the advantage over other action RPGs that it was party based (while Dungeon Siege 1 had the advantage of a seamless world and fairly cutting edge graphics for the time).

So, my question: does Dungeon Siege 3 have any of these aforementioned elements or is it just endless killing and looting?

No (On large world. It's really corridory) Yes (On interesting NPC's, though you should also carefully read the lore/dialouge that you get across since it fleshes them out quite a bit), Yes (Though the more "special" sidequests/humor appear in the latter half of the game)

That's also why I suggest not playing the demo as its a really poor representation of the last two aspects (As its the beginning+you're locked out of several sidequests).

The game's only ~15 hours though and is quite fast paced. So, the "grinding" aspect isn't really there. Make a decision based on this. But my personal recommedation is "do it" theres really not much to lose.

Edited by C2B

There is a lot more dialogue and interaction but it's essentially travel down corridors and collect loot. There are some population hubs but nothing major. The story is quite decent and it branches dependent on your actions, but the game is essentially about how you kill things and collect loot. This changes quite dramatically depending on your build and companion selection.

There are a lot of different builds and sub builds to try out (on normal most things work) but if that is not your idea of fun , then you probably won't like the game that much.

I have not finished DS3 yet, but I enjoy what I've seen so far. I think Obsidian is the popular whipping toy lately because it's known for having bugs in most of its new releases (sorry but you know it's true) - however I did not have any bugs in the time I've spent on DS3 so far.

What makes a man worthy? Is it his lust for life, his passion for power, or his wisdom for withstanding the deeds of others?

• 2 weeks later...

I can get a DS3 Limited edition on eBay. What's the difference between this and the normal edition?

Pretty sure it's just some cosmetic items like rings and amulets. They may have even been made free to all by now.

Have you checked Amazon last time I looked it was around

Edited by BobSmith101