Nathaniel Chapman leaving Obsidian

C2B

:(

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Thanks for the good wishes. Don't be sad, Obsidian's got a lot of really exciting things coming down the pipe, and they'll knock it out of the park on their own. They've got a ton of great people and South Park et al are going to be really, really awesome. I had a blast, learned a huge amount and made some games I am very proud of in my almost 7 years there, and I know Obsidz's going to keep on being awesome in perpetuity.

:(

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

Enjoyed your work immensely sir, good fortune at Blizzard.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Meh, same story every week. Obsidian employee leaves, says Obsidian is/was great, but had to leave to chase his dream.

So much for Obsidian being a dream company to work for.

Dude it's Blizzard. Bellyache all you want about their product, whatever, but they made some deeply seminal games in the 90's and were I someone interested in going into the field, they'd be on the top of my list for dream employers.

You can also take it as an indication of the respect Obs gets within the industry, that this Giant selected him to be on their team. Remember that Gonzales also jumped ship shortly after adding a AAA game to his list of writing / design credits - it's a huge, huge merit badge in the job market.

We have our core guys who seem (knock on wood) like they've chosen Obsidian because it <i>is</i> their dream company. Certainly Avellone and Sawyer seems to be in it for the long haul, and not just because they get the big fancy titles. Then you have Matt McLean, who's leading a project (hopefully not a springboard to Activision! Fingers crossed!) and seems like he's committed. Turnover means open positions, and any open position could turn into a great, great asset to the company. A new Tim Caine or MCA could walk in the door.

Turnover happens all the time, we've dealt with really cool people coming and going, but more than perhaps any other, this departure has a certain, bright future and is to be celebrated (some, like Mistoda, left to pursue personal passions at great risk, others like Alex Brandon can't make ends meet in Orange County). Thanks for everything Nat! Godspeed to you.

Edited by Pop
  • Like 1

Oh and good luck Nathan. I just hope it isn't WoW you are going to work on. And please spank your ex-coworkers to spend more time on these boards. The fact you replied to so many posts on DS3 was quite refreshing.

Hate the living, love the dead.

I appreciate the (mostly!) warm regards. And I know to ignore Morgoth as he's trollin' much of the time ;)

The reality is if working for Obsidian wasn't great I wouldn't have stayed for almost 7 years. That's quite a while in game industry dog years. And, since I personally know that OEI has kick-butt projects coming out and awesome people to make them, I'm not exactly worried about the future for them.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

There anyone left at Obsidian anymore?

Come one funcroc, some good news for a change will ya.

Edited by Undecaf

Perkele, tiädäksää tuanoini!

"It's easier to tolerate idiots if you do not consider them as stupid people, but exceptionally gifted monkeys."

Well, the new job is good news for the people leaving.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra