Mass Effect 3

Gorth

my understanding: smart companies like blizzard have figured out that a great game can be a best seller for YEARS, and so don't worry as much about "opening weekend", but for most "ok" video games, the first few weeks will decide whether or not the game was financially successful or not.

also, console gamers tend to only want what's new. if your game doesn't splash, they don't buy it ever.

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

I don't get exactly what they lose buy getting paid few months later. It's a game. Box office openings are not a concern.

They lose because they get paid significantly less money.

"The universe is a yawning chasm, filled with emptiness and the puerile meanderings of sentience..." - Ulyaoth

"It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built." - Kreia

"I thought this forum was for Speculation & Discussion, not Speculation & Calling People Trolls." - lord of flies

I'm going further than that. I'm not going to boycott the game, but I am *not* going to buy it until they release the inevitable lowered-price bundle with all the nonsense that they charge for on day 1 included.

Sound plan with one problem, I don't believe they ever released a bundle edition of ME2, unless you count the PS3 version.

cylon_basestar_eye.gif

Sound plan with one problem, I don't believe they ever released a bundle edition of ME2, unless you count the PS3 version.

If they don't, I won't buy it - but they did this with DA2, so I'm fairly certain they'll do with with ME3, as well.

"The universe is a yawning chasm, filled with emptiness and the puerile meanderings of sentience..." - Ulyaoth

"I thought this forum was for Speculation & Discussion, not Speculation & Calling People Trolls." - lord of flies

There's no DA2 bundle. There's a DAO bundle.

Oh, right. DA2 was so crap that I doubt it'd have been particularly profitable.

I'm going further than that. I'm not going to boycott the game, but I am *not* going to buy it until they release the inevitable lowered-price bundle with all the nonsense that they charge for on day 1 included.

Something I wish they would have done. I would have been happy if they had released a version of ME2 with everything, and wonder why they didn't.

There's no DA2 bundle. There's a DAO bundle.

Oh, right. DA2 was so crap that I doubt it'd have been particularly profitable.

Well, it sold more than DAO and was developed in a fraction of the time. I think it was very profitable, I just suspect they're not yet done with it. :p

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Investment companies (e.g. publishers) wants as much return of investment as fast as possible. Otherwise they won't have that return to reinvest asap in the next project. The faster you get your money back, the faster it can get reinvested, the higher the profitability. Not much different from a financial institution or a movie company.

With the difference that a movie company makes an additional buck after the movies has left the theaters with DVD/BluRay sales, and then there's selling the movie rights to TV channels.

Maybe if Video Game publisher's became more savvy like that there would be alternate sources to finance a game other than direct revenue and they would charge 60 freaking bucks.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

A union of gamers would be nice to put some pressure on game developers and publishers, especially the rich ones, that could easily do better, but let's make an exception here.

The sooner you all buy it, the sooner Bioware will have satisfied their profit margins and the sooner I can get it with a discount. Don't stall it ffs.. :p

(Signatures: disabled) 

A union of gamers would be nice to put some pressure on game developers and publishers, especially the rich ones, that could easily do better, but let's make an exception here.

The sooner you all buy it, the sooner Bioware will have satisfied their profit margins and the sooner I can get it with a discount. Don't stall it ffs.. :p

I have said this before in conversations but that's probably going to be harder than it seems. So far this industry is under tight control by publishers and with literally thousands of people waiting to get a job within, they can afford to fire and blacklist a few troublemakers. It may be a bit cynical to assume that their intentions are selfish but I've never seen them crying over the working conditions or even try to oversee that their workers are being treated fairly.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Easier alternative is just to wait for the bundle to go on sale.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Easier alternative is just to wait for the bundle to go on sale.

It's easy because it's unlikely to happen.

The only bundle of a Bioware game from this generation was for DAO. 1 game out of 4.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Well, wait for Steam to put the DLCs and game on sale ? I thought they had done that with ME2.

And Bioware's response-ish http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/02/23/bioware-defend-mass-effect-3-from-ashes-day-one-dlc/

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Well, wait for Steam to put the DLCs and game on sale ? I thought they had done that with ME2.

And Bioware's response-ish http://www.pcgamer.c...es-day-one-dlc/

Making a Prothean DLC is just a cynical money grab. Once ME3 is done Bioware don't have anything else but the damaged DA brand or something new. All this bad PR could well come back and bite them.

And Bioware's response-ish http://www.pcgamer.c...es-day-one-dlc/

Steam has never sold Bioware DLC. Except with the DAO bundle.
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."