Neverwinter Nights 2 first timer, anything I should know?

WDeranged

I've almost finished the City Watch quests and difficulty is starting to ramp up, I got wiped out a couple of times recovering the weapons shipment, I feel like I'm getting to grips with the rules though, the AI is also performing reasonably now I have it tuned.

I have been wondering if there are any Dragon Age style combos, also, if someone could explain how to taunt it'd be a big help, as soon as my ranged characters start firing it all falls apart and I spend half the round running away from aggro'd guards.

as soon as my ranged characters start firing it all falls apart and I spend half the round running away from aggro'd guards.

that's called 'kiting' and is a perfectly viable strategy ;)

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

I'm not above kiting but this isn't really intentional, it's just me running away :lol:

*edit*

I should add that the problem is mainly that I can't keep these guys occupied with my heavy fighters, I fire off a few crossbow shots or spells and they start homing in on my ranged characters, I'm guessing that I need to look into traps and spells a bit more, find a way of slowing them down.

Edited by WDeranged

Finish the game quickly so you can start playing Mask of the Betrayer.

I tried to start a game of MotB around Christmas last year, but I just couldn't get into it. I would love to play through with One-of-Many, but I just can't stomach the "highlevel" play :(

I don't understand that, the combat system is on the same level of sophistication as the first game. Click and it dies. You're never really overpowered by your enemies to the point that you have to pay actual attention to the combat, much like in all NWN titles.

The ultimate mage spells made mince of everything that my frenzied berserker couldn't massacre in under 3 seconds.

Edited by Drowsy Emperor

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

I recall dying. A lot.

My two points to keep in mind: wisdom and charisma. Because they make the story ten times more interesting, and help control your hunger. Which makes perfect bloody sense.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

It feels reasonably tactical to me, I certainly can't just drag click and send the boys in or everyone dies within a minute, potion spamming isn't really possible either thanks to those damn attacks of opportunity.

Possibly I'm just not an efficient leveller, I'm a DnD noob really.

I recall dying. A lot.

My two points to keep in mind: wisdom and charisma. Because they make the story ten times more interesting, and help control your hunger. Which makes perfect bloody sense.

As soon as I noticed the dialogue skill checks I started putting points into them :thumbsup:

DnD as a system is too easy to abuse, and too tempting to avoid abusing.

That's why I stick to rules lighter systems now.

I have an odd relationship with NWN2 probably inverse to most people - MoTB I couldn't get out of the starting dungeon because I got sick of resting after each encounter (admittedly with probably an over-exotic character build), while SoZ I played almost to the end (where you open the chokepoint allowing access to the endgame area). The original campaign I only got as far as initially entering Neverwinter.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

I have an odd relationship with NWN2 probably inverse to most people - MoTB I couldn't get out of the starting dungeon because I got sick of resting after each encounter (admittedly with probably an over-exotic character build), while SoZ I played almost to the end (where you open the chokepoint allowing access to the endgame area). The original campaign I only got as far as initially entering Neverwinter.

We might be a minority, but I liked SoZ best of the bunch. Only major detractor was some really, really bad voice acting. A case of less is more. Heck, much less would have been much better ;)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I actually screamed at the screen tonight, AI and pathfinding must burn in hell...still I learnt a few lessons about how the game works, AI is now disabled for most of the time and I've found traps and paralyse spells to be very helpful.

Puppet mode (I think that's what its called) is mandatory. The AI is too stupid to rely on.

I have played through the vanilla campaign, and I can tell you it's a wonderful experience if you appreciate the type of game it is. Yes, the AI is pretty bad at times, but all things considered NWN 2 vanilla is better than NWN vanilla any day.

What makes a man worthy? Is it his lust for life, his passion for power, or his wisdom for withstanding the deeds of others?

what I couldn't stomach in MotB was the Hunger meter. god I wish there had been a way to disable it

There is a couple ways actually. The easiest is a console command. google it. I never played MotB and had to deal with the meter due to said command.

World of Darkness News

http://www.wodnews.net

---

"I cannot profess to be a theologian; but it seems to me that Christians who believe in a super human Satan have got themselves into a logical impasse with regard to their own religion. For either God can not prevent the mischief of Satan, in which case he is not omnipotent; or else He could do so if he wished, but will not, in which case He is not benevolent. Fortunately, being a pagan witch, I am not called upon to solve this problem."

- Doreen Valiente

http://www.gamersgate.com/games?prio=relevance&q=neverwinternightweekend&aff=ggnews

looks like it's time for me to try SoZ and see for myself how good it really is

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

That reminds me, that I still have Mysteries of Westgate floating around somewhere on my games partition, waiting for me to have a serious go at it.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

i've recently been giving nwn2 another shot

finally got around to getting SoZ, and it's been interesting trying out new races/classes in the OC, and it's nice to see skills being used in the overland map

when your mind works against you - fight back with substance abuse!