RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS THREAD!

Gorth

It's not charity, nobody is just giving away money for free.

What charity? You're getting something for your investment. A game and a documentary. That's no more charity than the current model.

Crowd-sourcing is a more direct democratization of the funding process. You fund things that you want to see. It puts the public closer to the corporation's role. Except the excess profits don't go to the financiers in this instance. But the extra profits can potentially go towards a better product instead.

I couldn't say it better. So I won't try.

Here, let me approach this from a different angle. As of right now 35000 people have contributed 1.3 million dollars.

19000 paid $15 for a $15 game bundle

12600 paid $30 for the same $15 game bundle (thus donating $15 in charity)

2600 paid $100 for the same $15 game bundle (thus donating $85 in charity)

763 paid $250 for the same $15 game bundle (thus donating $235 in charity)

81 paid $1000 for the same $15 game bundle (thus donating $985 in charity)

10 paid $5000 for the same $15 game bundle (thus donating $4985 in charity)

1 paid $10000 for the same $15 game bundle (thus donating $9985 in charity)

Preorders werent just invented yesterday. Anyone could have gone to the website prior to this and ordered a $15 game. If all 35000 "investors" had simply preordered the game it would have only totaled $525,000 (35k x 15). Instead, through charitible donations, the total haul is a whopping 1.3 mil and climbing. Of course, Im sure the extra $900,000 will be poured back into the game. ;)

And just fyi guys, an investment is something that you put into hoping to get equal or more back. Not something you wildly overpay for to get the same base product. They should give everyone that donated more than $15 free games for life.

I hope Avellone does a kickstarter.

However, given how much creative control cutting out the publisher would give him - it would have to have the same level of inspiration as PST. So if he's going to go ahead with such a project, it better be very well thought out idea.

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

I hope Avellone does a kickstarter.

However, given how much creative control cutting out the publisher would give him - it would have to have the same level of inspiration as PST. So if he's going to go ahead with such a project, it better be very well thought out idea.

Obsidian making a new PST game would be way more tricksy than Double Fine knocking out a generic point and clicker, Tim Schafer could literally throw darts at a drawing board and come up with something workable, PST would be a very delicate project.

They should give everyone that donated more than $15 free games for life.

no they shouldn't, because the page clearly states what people will get for giving more than $15. one guy donated 10 grand to his favorite game designer, why is it so hard to live with?

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

Some people will have only donated one dollar, it's certainly an ideological investment if not your traditional financial one.

*edit*

I should add that when it comes to traditional pre orders I've felt royally shafted just lately, $40-50 gone and a six month wait for games that either suck or plain don't work on release day, I'll feel quite at ease having lost $15 if it turns out to be a failed flight of fancy.

Edited by WDeranged

no they shouldn't, because the page clearly states what people will get for giving more than $15.

Yeah, that was a mistake, I forgot about the $30 tier. Everyone who donated $100 or more should get $15 games free for the rest of their lives. You know, as investers should be rewarded.

one guy donated 10 grand to his favorite game designer, why is it so hard to live with?

I dont care in the least but lets call a spade a spade. I was simply using the publicly available information to dispute that nobody was giving money as charity.

That's probably why it wouldn't have worked with you, you're nobody. But Schafer and Gilbert can ride their reputation, and I'm sure someone would track them down and kill them in their sleep if they absconded with the cash. Is a bit of a gamble though, agree there, I guess some are just gauging $40 or whatever to be worth the risk.

There are some legal issues with Kickstarter providing "investors" with returns, if I recall correctly, that's something that probably should change in the future ?

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Oh great, now Negative Nancy found this thread too.

First, no-one is forcing you to donate. If you're so poor that 15$ is making you panic, don't worry! YOU DON'T HAVE TO DONATE.

Second, they don't charge the money unless the project receives proper funding, which in this case is a moot point since it only took 8 hours to reach that limit..

Third, this is a site for people who are interested in trying to help their favourite game developers make the games they want. If you're not interested, move on. It's not for you.

Easy, isn't it?

• Like 1

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

"Probably"

How reassuring.

Well, not my obligation to do so, I didn't spawn the idea.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Kickstarter's a damn good idea, if you ask me.

Speaking which, whatever happened to that film about the moon nazis?

Edited by Walsingham

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Iron Sky ? It's due out in April or some such.

Kickstarter's a damn good idea, if you ask me.

Speaking which, whatever happened to that film about the moon nazis?

It will open/premiere in Finland on 4th of April. I think some movie festivals will show it earlier. The trailer was released 2 days ago.

Hate the living, love the dead.