RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS THREAD!

Gorth

I'd pay only for Full Throttle 2, Loom 2 and The Longest Journey 2.

Full Throttle without Ben ? Heresy! (Well ok, not really). Agree about TLJ 2

A Grim Fandango related game would be cool, as well.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Gfted1, Do you know anything about Tim Schafer? He's as far from a cash grabbing cow as they come. He's been trying to make living on small projects and community funded initiatives for a while and I trust him completely. He has taken money from fans to develop games before and never screwed anyone over. ON top of that, giving a small independent company that much funding gaming community proves feasibility of skipping publishers and, hopefully, solidifies indie trend.

Once again, this is not some unknown dude milking dumb gamers, this is a legendary developer that has consistently given us some of the most unique and interesting games there are. He deserves every bit of support he is currently receiving.

No, I do not know anything about Tim Schafer. Im sure hes a helluva guy, loves mom and apple pie and regularly helps the tards. Like I said, its my perception thats rubbing me the wrong way. They obviously couldnt get the game funded through conventional methods so they did what any red blooded American company would do, mussed up their hair, turned their pockets inside out and held open a loot bag for everyone else to fill. Then, even after doubling their needs, still keep the gravy train rolling. You know, for future projects. ;)

I think that last point is what bothers me the most. Just one mans opinon, nothing to see here.

I think it is a valid concern to raise in general, about continuing to take money after the goal has been met. I personally donated because I'm interested in the experiment and the documentary stuff from an academic point of view, but if I was a regular investor, I would expect to see some clear breakdowns of what the original 400k budget would have consisted of, and where the extra budget will now go into. It doesn't have to say "x, y, z new features in a game" because that makes zero sense, but more of hiring two more people, going from no VA to possible VA, able to do some marketing, etc.

The biggest problem with Kickstarter, of course, is you never know who'll just never finish the project or have insufficient ability to do what they promised. So this kind of pitch alleviates the two biggest concerns.

Double Fine has some fairly notorious troubles when dealing with publishers. Basically Schafer refuses to compromise his vision on projects, and it has led to some pretty interesting blowouts. He's also been fairly public about it, in fact he is pretty public about everything he does, which makes this kickstarter thing a perfect match for him.

Double Fine has some fairly notorious troubles when dealing with publishers. Basically Schafer refuses to compromise his vision on projects, and it has led to some pretty interesting blowouts. He's also been fairly public about it, in fact he is pretty public about everything he does, which makes this kickstarter thing a perfect match for him.

He called Kotick a prick.
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Gfted1, Do you know anything about Tim Schafer? He's as far from a cash grabbing cow as they come. He's been trying to make living on small projects and community funded initiatives for a while and I trust him completely. He has taken money from fans to develop games before and never screwed anyone over. ON top of that, giving a small independent company that much funding gaming community proves feasibility of skipping publishers and, hopefully, solidifies indie trend.

Once again, this is not some unknown dude milking dumb gamers, this is a legendary developer that has consistently given us some of the most unique and interesting games there are. He deserves every bit of support he is currently receiving.

No, I do not know anything about Tim Schafer. Im sure hes a helluva guy, loves mom and apple pie and regularly helps the tards. Like I said, its my perception thats rubbing me the wrong way. They obviously couldnt get the game funded through conventional methods so they did what any red blooded American company would do, mussed up their hair, turned their pockets inside out and held open a loot bag for everyone else to fill. Then, even after doubling their needs, still keep the gravy train rolling. You know, for future projects. ;)

I think that last point is what bothers me the most. Just one mans opinon, nothing to see here.

At the same time, they've stated from the beginning that if they raise more money, they will put it into very specific improvements - Better VA, more platforms, better documentary. Also, of course publishers won't fund it, they think point and click adventure games are dead.

He called Kotick a prick.

And that deserves a few dollars.

• Like 1

here comes the mil. If big publishers aren't thinking about this long and hard, they're wrong.

Granted, far from everyone will be able to make that kind of a fundraiser, but it still proves that people want more than what big names are feeding us

Sadly I think they are still pretty far from numbers that would make a publisher notice. A million in sales is about 20k of product, right? Given that most publishers expect a game to sell well over 100k in product (really I think 500k is today's minimum goal for a AAA title.) But it's an awesome deal for Double Fine.

Wow, you're really thinking about it backwards.

It's not charity, nobody is just giving away money for free. How do you think developers fund their games otherwise? They go to the publishers and get funding from them, while publishers end up with some level of creative control. This is exactly same thing. Only instead of publishers, they're getting funding from customers and customers are getting the game they paid for. That's all.

Thinking about what, a business model that can only succeed when financed through charity?

What charity? You're getting something for your investment. A game and a documentary. That's no more charity than the current model.

Crowd-sourcing is a more direct democratization of the funding process. You fund things that you want to see. It puts the public closer to the corporation's role. Except the excess profits don't go to the financiers in this instance. But the extra profits can potentially go towards a better product instead.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Thinking about what, a business model that can only succeed when financed through charity?

What charity? You're getting something for your investment. A game and a documentary. That's no more charity than the current model.

Crowd-sourcing is a more direct democratization of the funding process. You fund things that you want to see. It puts the public closer to the corporation's role. Except the excess profits don't go to the financiers in this instance. But the extra profits can potentially go towards a better product instead.

I couldn't say it better. So I won't try.

Damn, that was fast, though it's not like any startup could pull it off, Tim and Ron have got 20 years worth of fan obsession to rely on...somewhat like a certain RPG developer, I've liked the idea of crowd funding for a while now, I genuinely want to see it work as a model.

i would put up some serious cash if MCA and JE Sawyer said they wanted to make a turn based fallout game...

EDIT: Actually if the turn based xcom project turns out well, maybe a new fallout rpg is not such a far-fetched idea...

Edited by entrerix

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

I guess it just irks me because I percieve it as a cash grab that takes advantage of the end users emotions. I know you guys dont honestly believe the game will be TWICE as good because now they have 800k, so this extra money goes directly to their pockets.

I know, I know, its not my money. Why do I care? It just smells of poo to me is all. They have doubled their investment without lifting a finger.

I wonder what would happen if the whole project tanked, would they issue refunds?

*goes back to tilting at windmills*

The other way the extra money goes to the publishers who are the worst sort of money grabbing, soulless business.

I'd rather Double Fine get the cash.

Of course, if the game ends up like a budget title considering the cash they have now (after all adventure games are cheap aren't they?) I have my rotten tomatoes ready.

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

I guess it just irks me because I percieve it as a cash grab that takes advantage of the end users emotions. I know you guys dont honestly believe the game will be TWICE as good because now they have 800k, so this extra money goes directly to their pockets.

I know, I know, its not my money. Why do I care? It just smells of poo to me is all. They have doubled their investment without lifting a finger.

I wonder what would happen if the whole project tanked, would they issue refunds?

*goes back to tilting at windmills*

The other way the extra money goes to the publishers who are the worst sort of money grabbing, soulless business.

I'd rather Double Fine get the cash.

Of course, if the game ends up like a budget title considering the cash they have now (after all adventure games are cheap aren't they?) I have my rotten tomatoes ready.

Yeah I'll be first in line to gorge on Tim Schafer's quivering corpse if it turns out half arsed, still, I've had disappointments that cost me way more than $15, I just hope they stick to their promise of a "point and click" adventure.

Mostly it's just an interesting idea that happens to sit comfortably with how I wish the world could work, screw the middlemen :dancing:

• Like 1

Can we donate separately for QA ?

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra