RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS THREAD!

Gorth

It can get a reasonably sized yacht though, no ? I wonder if anyone will throw in $150 K to get one of those DoTT boxes still in the shrink wrap :)

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

You do realize that it's unlikely to go up a lot more than this, right? Never mind that that money also includes 20k sales they would have got from these people. The game is unlikely to sell more than 200k units total, given it is what it is, so that's 10% of total sales.

It's still a great achievement, but it doesn't exactly mean it's rainin' dollars.

Never underestimate novelty. Don't expect to define a trend off a single instance.

It's good. I'm going to send some money their way tonight. I hope a bandwagon starts. But I fully anticipate reality to set in and the bandwagon to crash fast or stabilize on far more moderate results with lots of seemingly good games still failing to get funding. There is room for this to be something great. Cutting out the middle man and all that. And I'd like to see it be used.

I'm still surprised by the current indie bundle craze. So I'm not exactly an expert analyst.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

The game is effectively pre-payed and pre-sold. Sure, it won't make a developer super rich, but gets the funds for something, which means work, money to feed the employees, and potentially a small scale dream project come true.

I'd donate maybe for an oldschool RPG, but for an adventure game? More than sixty adventure games alone are slated for release this year so far, not bad for a supposedly dead niche genre.

Edited by virumor

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Im not sure I understand. They wanted 400k, are currently at 800k, and everyone is falling all over themselves to donate more? For what end?

It counts as a pre-purchase and they'll use the money to improve the game, improve the documentary, and go for other platforms.

It seems to be a good time to be on Kickstarter. Before the Double Fine project, a friend linked me to the Order of the Stick Reprint, which made it to the 5th largest Kickstarter project a day or so ago, before Double Fine knocked them back to 6th. Though that still leaves OotS over 1000% funded. I'm curious what we'll find out when we look at the final statistics. Something like OotS is pulling off about $580,000 right now, but with just 7,800 backers, versus Double Fine's $822,000 but over 20,000 backers. Different rewards, and different mediums, but it does bring to mind the stories about people paying a dollar, or whatever the bare minimum is for the pay what you want Humble Bundles. Makes me wonder what it would take to improve the average per backer.

I'm going to need better directions than "the secret lair."

-==(UDIC)==-

Im not sure I understand. They wanted 400k, are currently at 800k, and everyone is falling all over themselves to donate more? For what end?

Q: What happens if you go over the goal?

A: The extra money will be put back into the game and documentary. This could result in anything from increased VO and music budgets to additional release platforms for the game.

Also anyone paying $15 is basically pre-ordering the game at this point.

I know all you guys love this kind of stuff but I find it a bit distastefull. They went to the public to beg financing for their game (which doesnt buy the donators a copy), go wildly over what they needed, but then still keep the lines open for more money. Bad form.

I wonder why a studio never financed them.

Rocksteady about Batman's success

Rocksteady's team didn't succumb to "sycophantic design" that pandered to game reviewers or to what they thought some theoretical audience wanted. Hill said such methods result in "creative paralysis," and lead to generic experiences as a developer becomes obsessed with trying to guess what people want.

"The person who knows best what your gamers want is you," Hill told the developer audience. ... We're our own target audience ... we know what games we want."

"I don't think we need market research to achieve that," he added. "We need to ask 'what excites me?''" You need to make a game you want to play, a game that you're passionate about, Hill said.

"Once you make a game that you're passionate about, your team will be passionate about it. ... That passion and pride will translate directly to the game."

That's what I like to hear!

You hear that too, BioWare?

(which doesnt buy the donators a copy)
If you donate $15, you get a copy. Me and C2B said as much already.

I know all you guys love this kind of stuff but I find it a bit distastefull. They went to the public to beg financing for their game (which doesnt buy the donators a copy), go wildly over what they needed, but then still keep the lines open for more money. Bad form.

I wonder why a studio never financed them.

The money still goes into the games production. Not to mention 400'000 isn't exactly big at all for a game budget nowadays.

Also yes, it does buy the donatoers a copy from donations 15$+.

I'd donate maybe for an oldschool RPG, but for an adventure game? More than sixty adventure games alone are slated for release this year so far, not bad for a supposedly dead niche genre.

It's an adventure game from dudes who made some of the best and funniest adventure games out there - Tim Schafer and Ron Gilbert.

Double Fine is a legitimate developer too. They have a real office with real employees and a real track record for releasing products. So investing in them like this is great, it cuts out the middleman publisher and gives the developer more freedom, which is oftentimes good for the hardcore fans.

I guess it just irks me because I percieve it as a cash grab that takes advantage of the end users emotions. I know you guys dont honestly believe the game will be TWICE as good because now they have 800k, so this extra money goes directly to their pockets.

I know, I know, its not my money. Why do I care? It just smells of poo to me is all. They have doubled their investment without lifting a finger.

I wonder what would happen if the whole project tanked, would they issue refunds?

*goes back to tilting at windmills*

I guess it just irks me because I percieve it as a cash grab that takes advantage of the end users emotions. I know you guys dont honestly believe the game will be TWICE as good because now they have 800k, so this extra money goes directly to their pockets.

Is a game that sells 2 million copies TWICE as good as the one that sells 1 million copies?

This just shifts the sales from after to before. So that they money can help fund this project instead of only funding the next one.

G1fted, are you acually reading what we're saying? The extra money goes into documentary, extra music and voices, additional localization etc.

And how would the project tank? They've set the 400k as a goal because that's the budget they planned for, and every donation is a "sale" already.

Plus, since the preorders fund the project, they can't shoot themselves in the foot by spending 5 times as much as the sales bring back.

I donated 15 bucks but my account had only 1 dollar subtracted. What.

Edited by Oner

I donated 15 bucks but my account had only 1 dollar subtracted. What.
That's just a test transaction. Making sure it's a legitimate account. It'll either be refunded or they'll take the other 14 later.

They don't do the transactions until the funded date, I believe. In March here.

I don't mind if they make more money out of it, if the game is good. Let's call it additional reward for the devs, for making a fancy game. Plus, it makes their future brighter / more secure, which is good for everyone.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Gfted1, Do you know anything about Tim Schafer? He's as far from a cash grabbing cow as they come. He's been trying to make living on small projects and community funded initiatives for a while and I trust him completely. He has taken money from fans to develop games before and never screwed anyone over. ON top of that, giving a small independent company that much funding gaming community proves feasibility of skipping publishers and, hopefully, solidifies indie trend.

Once again, this is not some unknown dude milking dumb gamers, this is a legendary developer that has consistently given us some of the most unique and interesting games there are. He deserves every bit of support he is currently receiving.