What are you playing now?

Gorth

Deus Ex: HR.

Fun so far. Although it is far better looking and sounding than the original, it is also clear that AI tech has made only the most marginal of advances. (Although, playing this immediately after The Witcher 2, the visuals do look rather weak-- especially the lip synching.)

Question: Is there any way to deal with placed mines, apart from throwing something at them to set them off?

Question: Is there any way to deal with placed mines, apart from throwing something at them to set them off?

Walk up to them, don't run. And deactivate when you get close.

I also crouched, but I don't recall if that part was necessary.

• Like 1
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Deus Ex: HR.

Fun so far. Although it is far better looking and sounding than the original, it is also clear that AI tech has made only the most marginal of advances. (Although, playing this immediately after The Witcher 2, the visuals do look rather weak-- especially the lip synching.)

If you can get close enough you can disable them. You can avoid setting them off by moving when they aren't blinking or by crouching and sneaking.

EDIT: Dammit Tale!

Edited by Deraldin
  • Like 1

It's probably a cheap way to beat them, but I've used the rocket launcher every opportunity I've gotten against the bosses and tougher enemies in Resident Evil 4. The only ones I didn't use it against was the swamp monster when you're on a boat and can't use it, and against the village chief when I tried to but missed and had to kill him instead with my shotgun.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Ah, thank you, gentlemen.

I had forgotten that there was an option to walk slower, in addition to the 'crouch' toggle. I thought I was already going as slow as I possibly could, and I kept setting them off!

Edited by Enoch

I had forgotten that there was an option to walk slower, in addition to the 'crouch' toggle. I thought I was already going as slow as I possibly could, and I kept setting them off!

I forgot that as well when I was playing which led to some confusion. Its because you're only going to use it once or twice during the game total and that's for mines only.

Really, the whole sneaking business in DXHR gets ridiculous when you buy cloaking. With a single battery you can always get to cover. Since the guards are blind as bats to anything in cover even when you should plainly be in their sight, you can play the game on autopilot.

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

I forgot that as well when I was playing which led to some confusion. Its because you're only going to use it once or twice during the game total and that's for mines only.

It makes more sense as a "feature" when you think of the game as primarily designed for gamepads. Walking slowly is just what you get when you push the thumbstick part-way forward, rather than a separate mode or keybinding.

Edit: Actually, I thought of another HR question: Is there a way to regain charge apart from inventory consumables? (I still remember the first time I played the original game and got all the way past the Hong Kong hub before I realized that I could use those orange repair bots.) Do the recharging upgrades let you regenerate more than your minimum 1-"battery", or do they just make the recovery of that minimum go faster?

Edited by Enoch

From what I recall, you only regen the first bar.

Trying to set up a nice mission in ArmA 2 again, without going overboard and having it turn into a raging battle. Right now, spending oodles of time just placing sandbags in a village to make it look fortified. Will have to investigate how to make the buildings wrecked as well.

A lot of effort for naught really, as it'll just be for me to play, heh. :)

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

It makes more sense as a "feature" when you think of the game as primarily designed for gamepads. Walking slowly is just what you get when you push the thumbstick part-way forward, rather than a separate mode or keybinding.

Edit: Actually, I thought of another HR question: Is there a way to regain charge apart from inventory consumables? (I still remember the first time I played the original game and got all the way past the Hong Kong hub before I realized that I could use those orange repair bots.) Do the recharging upgrades let you regenerate more than your minimum 1-"battery", or do they just make the recovery of that minimum go faster?

They only make the minimum go faster. At first I was annoyed by this but then considering how strong some powers are, having multiple batteries recharge would break the game. If you could always afford to spend several batteries on cloak for example, you could walk through most levels in a couple of minutes.

• Like 1

ok, got to where the crimson heads start popping up in the Resident Evil GC remake, and then had to quit because i was getting too tense to have fun. i love scary games but just am not cut out to play them anymore :(

playing resident evil 4 instead, my 3rd playthrough ever, this time im using the blacktail and broken butterfly only. shouldn't be too hard though, i have a lot of magnum bullets...

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Playing Borderlands. More fun than I anticipated it would be...

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

I was informed they fixed the difficulty spike on the first boss of space pirates and zombies has been fixed. Killed it after two tries, having done too many to count before. Now I have my first huge ship, whee.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Got Skyrim over break from University...Wound up playing like 4 hours of it (too easily entertained by Gears 3 multiplayer), and was busy seeing friends and family for most of the break so I didn't really have time to get into it. Probably will play this summer when I can devote a solid amount of time to it.

ok, got to where the crimson heads start popping up in the Resident Evil GC remake, and then had to quit because i was getting too tense to have fun. i love scary games but just am not cut out to play them anymore :(

playing resident evil 4 instead, my 3rd playthrough ever, this time im using the blacktail and broken butterfly only. shouldn't be too hard though, i have a lot of magnum bullets...

I must waste bullets or something, because I'm finding my supply of ammo is scarce. I've currently got the blacktail, broken butterfly, riot shotgun, and ... another pistol -- red9 perhaps? -- in my inventory, and all of them are down to their last rounds of ammo. I have no more spare ammo in my inventory. I'm a few minutes into Chapter 5-1.

I want the Chicago typewriter for my next play through. That way I don't have to worry about ammo running out. Problem is I'll still have to go through Ada's story before it's unlocked, I believe.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

This is something the devs of RE forgot or decided to dismiss in modern RE games. Too much ammo, because of it RE4 & 5 were not as tense as there predecessors. What was worse was that due to the new perspective, you could save even more ammo.

cylon_basestar_eye.gif

RE 4 might have been a good action game but it was a very poor horror game.

• Like 1

RE 4 might have been a good action game but it was a very poor horror game.

i disagree!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horror_and_terror

resident evil 4 was not terrifying (like resident evil 1 often was), but it was plenty horrifying. the village chief, chainsaw villagers, del lago, those creepy chanting hooded guys in the castle etc etc were all horrifying in various degrees. the problem with the game is that there were few moments of terror because you knew that you could usually blast apart whatever horrors you would encounter. until that *thing* towards the end of the game that was nigh unstoppable and had to be run from.

there was definitely nothing remaining of the "survival" part of the originals though

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Considering that the game is setting is contemporary, the almost medieval set pieces and monsters (especially the castle sections) in supposedly modern Spain were more amusing than horrifying. IIRC there were even catapults of some sort? And flaming torches? There are obviously plenty of medieval buildings still standing in Spain but the idea that today's tourist attractions could be the lair of a parasitic cult is a bit out there.

While the setting was a bit too wacky for me to enjoy completely - the actual gameplay was pretty good. I did actually play it all the way through so I can't complain all that much. I'm not likely to ever pick it up again though.

I still have to wait for the other testicle to drop before trying to play RE1 for longer than an hour.

Edited by Drowsy Emperor

its funny, the only resident evil games i've finished have all been non-scary ones, RE2, RE4, Code Veronica, and RE5

RE1 and 3 were way too scary

same goes for silent hill 1 and 2, i love them, but the only way i was able to finish part 2 was with three other people in the room all getting scared as much as i was and it was a lot of fun.