Obsidian's Secret Project

Nines

Also, to give you an overview about Obsidians current projects.

First off: Obsidian codenames their projects after the order the states joined the Union. Secondly as of Dungeon Siege III/New Vegas there were 9 games they started. And last: DLC's don't count. (Expansions do)

Virgina (10th): We know next to nothing about it.

New York (11th): South Park

North Carolina (12th): Sawyer's project

Thats what we know so far regarding Obsidians current game projects. We haven't heard ANYTHING about the WOT project since it was announced.

Ofc still take it as speculation. Could turn out completly different. For example its entirly possible that the XBLA RPG turns out to be Sawyers project.

Edited by C2B

Sawyer's formspring

will the obsidian engine be used on the studios game more often? dungeon siege ran without issues and it was awesome. :)

It's being used on South Park right now (different renderer, obviously) and will hopefully be used on future projects.

hmmm....

EDIT: OT: Obsidian's CTG programmer Michael Bosley's blog post

Edited by funcroc
  • Like 1

Hehe... The story of O :-

For those who don't know 'O', it's a notation for the relative complexity of an algorithm.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

If that was updated 01/2012, that would have been after the Southpark announcement?

Very nice man... announcing that there is something unannounced. Maybe he takes bribes?

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Furthermore, we can conclude that the Wheel of Time project doesn't seem to have started "full development" as of december? (Don't know exactly anymore) 2011.

We can conclude this because of:

-Obsidian's code names: F:NV was Obsidian's 9th started game, Virginia (which was a cancelled or put on hold XBLA game) was 10th, New York is 11th (which is the SP RPG) and North Carolina (Sawyers) is 12.

-Meaning they are working on 2 projects at the moment. According to a tweet by Chris Avellone in early december? 2011 they are working on two projects (SP and NC). Not on three.

Of course, it could suddenly turn out that Virginia has/had the WOT license. Or something else (like the WOT project not having an Obs project but that would not explain the 2 projects comment). It's speculation here anyway based on the few pieces of information we get. Been wrong before.

Wait, Obsidian is working on a Wheel of Time game?

That will be awesome.

Edited by TheTuninator

Obsidian is hiring a lead artist for their secret project

The Lead Artist will define the visual target of the art in Obsidian Entertainment's Top Secret Project, as well as help mentor the other Artists and Junior Artist.

Responsibilities

- The Lead Artist is responsible for developing and driving an original and innovative art style for the game.

"original and innovative artstyle"

I hope this doesn't translate into "oh look another anime art style with spikey armor and glowing eyes".

Wouldn't that be the exact opposite of original and innovative?

Obsidian is hiring a lead artist for their secret project

The Lead Artist will define the visual target of the art in Obsidian Entertainment's Top Secret Project, as well as help mentor the other Artists and Junior Artist.

Responsibilities

- The Lead Artist is responsible for developing and driving an original and innovative art style for the game.

Wouldn't the fact they're still looking for a lead artist for the game suggest the secret project is pretty much in its infancy stage? Not being in the 'Biz, I wouldn't know. But I'd have thought that if the project was already well into development, they'd already be past the stage they need to develop an art style for it.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Was it Sawyers project that was linked to the visits with Eidos Montreal and Square Enix, or wast it something else? Or am I completely misrecalling here?

I can't help but think that - looking at how similiar AP and DX:HR are - Sawyer is doing something related to Deus Ex or something similiar (didn't he also tweet something about stealth gameplay at some point?) - even after reading that he and MCA were working on a completely new "world".

Edited by Undecaf

Perkele, tiädäksää tuanoini!

"It's easier to tolerate idiots if you do not consider them as stupid people, but exceptionally gifted monkeys."

Wouldn't the fact they're still looking for a lead artist for the game suggest the secret project is pretty much in its infancy stage? Not being in the 'Biz, I wouldn't know. But I'd have thought that if the project was already well into development, they'd already be past the stage they need to develop an art style for it.

They could be already looking for a Lead artist for whatever they are planning on doing next after South Park. After all the hiring process does take some time. Though, I guess that's not very likely :)

Hate the living, love the dead.

Was it Sawyers project that was linked to the visits with Eidos Montreal and Square Enix, or wast it something else? Or am I completely misrecalling here?

I can't help but think that - looking at how similiar AP and DX:HR are - Sawyer is doing something related to Deus Ex or something similiar (didn't he also tweet something about stealth gameplay at some point?) - even after reading that he and MCA were working on a completely new "world".

Sawyer visited Eidos Montreal and was studying stealth mechanics/gameplay at one point. That's pretty much all we know, but then again I'm fairly sure Sawyer visited other publishers as well. So that Eidos Montreal visit might not mean anything.

Hate the living, love the dead.

Sawyer visited Eidos Montreal and was studying stealth mechanics/gameplay at one point. That's pretty much all we know, but then again I'm fairly sure Sawyer visited other publishers as well. So that Eidos Montreal visit might not mean anything.

Ah, ok.

Getting my bearings here with what little vague info we have.

Edited by Undecaf

Perkele, tiädäksää tuanoini!

"It's easier to tolerate idiots if you do not consider them as stupid people, but exceptionally gifted monkeys."