SW: The Old Republic Part 3

Hm, never knew Guild Wars 2 is a WoW clone. Or is this just Morgoth spewing as normal ?

As for TOR going free to play, I guess the PA comic wasn't all that far off. Might actually go back and go through some of the classes if it does.

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

If every generic fantasy game is a WoW clone, then that covers a pretty broad spectrum.

What people are trying to tell you Morgoth is that Guild Wars is very different than WoW. In fact the original could hardly be classified as an MMO, given that it lacked any open adventure areas that characterize MMO's as massively multiplayer.

Guild Wars 2 is much more traditional in the MMO sense, but the gameplay has little in common with a game like WoW.

To return to the TOR relevance.. They're continuing on with the assorted server transfers, and I must say you can definitely notice it. Corellian Run seems to be one they're encouraging people to shift to, and has over 290 folk on Imp Fleet at the moment.. and around 250 on Republic Fleet.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Yeah, my guild transferred yesterday. Went from a fleet that would have 60-80 people on it at any given night to one that had almost 500.

Now we'll just have to see if they'll be able to maintain that level of players on the new servers. That with the group finder coming soon should be a boost to the game.

While I have no personal interest in returning to the game, I think these two moves - the server consolidation and the server-restricted group finder tool - are both very good moves: the latter of course requiring the former to work.

Inevitably, the WoW comparison is made: WoW has resisted closing any servers (theorised to be for PR reasons above technical ones) and instead have created the region-wide group finder, and soon will implement shared zones amongst servers. These have been short term solutions that unfortunately have reduced other players into essentially more erratic and volatile NPCs - people that you'll likely never encounter again after the next hour. Which means yes, I'm partly agreeing with the fringe that argue that the group finder has/will destroy the sense of community in MMOs - but only insofar as the WoW implementation of it does.

Now, I'm personally happily retired from all forms of online gaming at the moment, but I can only the imagine the case now, that if I was a fresh faced new starter on WoW, I would in all likelihood level solo to the level cap, grind the group finder tool to get a decent set of starter gear, then hit a brick wall because I know essentially nobody on the server. I know this to be true to some degree because I tried an experiment a couple years ago, creating an alt on a a well-populated Oceanic timezone server, and did just that. Social butterflies may find different of course, but I'd bet that a decent sized proportion of current players are having an experience like that, and thus don't have terribly much incentive to stick around.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not one of those who claim the old days were best and that everything new is junk - but I certainly do believe that without the circumstances that were around back then, in terms of the way group finding encouraged to network and build a reputation (I know, that old "MMOs are like jobs" cliche), I would not have played for the 6+ years that I did.

Edited by Humanoid

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

A server is definitely a community, and a unique one at that. The best two I've played on were Winterfell in Asheron's Call and Windfola in Lord of the Rings Online. So far I haven't really clicked in on any TOR servers.

Now, I'm personally happily retired from all forms of online gaming at the moment, but I can only the imagine the case now, that if I was a fresh faced new starter on WoW, I would in all likelihood level solo to the level cap, grind the group finder tool to get a decent set of starter gear, then hit a brick wall because I know essentially nobody on the server. I know this to be true to some degree because I tried an experiment a couple years ago, creating an alt on a a well-populated Oceanic timezone server, and did just that. Social butterflies may find different of course, but I'd bet that a decent sized proportion of current players are having an experience like that, and thus don't have terribly much incentive to stick around.

Eh, I dont know about that. While I agree that there is much less "community" and you do run into a huge pile of tards in LFG I think LFG/LFR is an adequate tool to prevent people from hitting that wall. I mean, I dont have to be your buddy to down bosses. Although I do wish raid finder didnt stick you in those lower difficulty raids. If SWTOR had this tool from the beginning I would probably still be playing.

I took a short break from research and odds and bods to jump online today around lunch. Heh, and even though I use an east coast server from the UK, it was interesting to see there were still around 80-100 people populating both Republic and Imp fleet stations.

And the assortment of people doing the "hey, I'm originally from x server, who else was on there? " and people connecting their old friends lists again and the massive shift in guilds and wotnot...

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."