SW: The Old Republic Part 3

I'm thinking about cancelling my subscription. PvP is unplayable. I get around 60 fps when I'm questing, 40 when in a flashpoint and 10 in warzones. 10 frames per second with ability lag makes it unplayable.

Is that on your local server or when you play on the US East coast server?

I'm thinking about cancelling my subscription. PvP is unplayable. I get around 60 fps when I'm questing, 40 when in a flashpoint and 10 in warzones. 10 frames per second with ability lag makes it unplayable.

Hm, I haven't played any PvP yet, but I haven't had any problems with fps when questing or in flashpoints. And I'm using an East Coast server..

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Looks like Ilum is getting the keep trading WAR had, heh. Should give PVP a go, other than getting ganked by the rare Republic characters, haven't had much of it.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Hm, I haven't played any PvP yet, but I haven't had any problems with fps when questing or in flashpoints. And I'm using an East Coast server..

The lag is a real problem for a good chunk of people, but it's not very clear what is causing it, at least form what I've seen on the forums.

I'd recommend just staying away from PvP for a month or two, but if that's a big reason you play, I'd cancel for now, maybe come back in a few months when the bugs are worked out.

lag is ok for us... but fps in some areas is ridiculous bad. 'ccording to their little lag meter on the map, Gromnir is gold, but on fleet and in some story instances, our fps drops to teens... or worse. our system is more than good enough to handle, and we already disabled shadows n' such. am understanding why some is frustrated.

we dont play pvp, but am annoyed by the animation delay on interrupts. sure, is only .5 seconds, but is frustrating to activate shock or electrocute, and still get nailed with a boss robot missile barrage or sith lord's force storm. is a known issue, but am not sure if bio cares. didnt read all the threads.

the one thing that continues to amaze us is the rinse & repeat nature o' this game. gameplay is gameplay-- not matter if is mp or sp. after bg were released, people complained 'bout fighting hundreds of hobgoblin or bandit groups that had no discernible purpose other than to drop 1007 and provide xp. ridiculous. bio responded to complaints and changed (although Gromnir am seeing some o' the silliness return to games such as da2.) so, why is it a given that killing 40 black sun gangsters... and then killing 40 MORE is an accepted part o missions by mp gamers?

oh, and the wild goose chase mentality is equal wacky. step 1 is on extreme southwest corner of map. step 2 is extreme northeast. step 3 is back in southwest somewheres.

what the hell is wrong with the last decade's worth o' mp gamers that they has allowed such insanity to propagate?

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

If you think your example of wild goose chase is bad, this is what I had to do yesterday when running through my class quest.

Finishing hoth, I then had to go to Quesh (a planet I've already been to) to the far north of the map. Then to Dromund Kaas, then to a space station, then back to Dromund Kaas. And of course the Dromund Kaas locations arepretty far from the space port, not to mention the fact that any space travel is a bit of a chore with all the corridors you have to run through just to get to your ship.

(also since I'm playing with my wife, we had another trip to Dromund Kaas and another one to Quesh, but in the wrong order, so we didn't know she had to go to quesh when I was there)

Leave Bioware alone!

Went on a funny excursion to what I thought was the nearby point of my class quest's endpoint on Belsavis, heh, north through a tunnel, out through another one, along a road into another tunnel, around the edge of a pit of lava, through another tunnel, through a jungle, then finally into a tomb. Rather nice scenery though.

The delay in using abilities is brought up constantly, I'll have to assume they're going to fix that (as well as fix the UI and GTN).

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I say that I hope they didn't spend that much. I wonder how much of what Kotick (Activision and Lucasarts have had past dealings) said earlier is true or relevant. That however the deal was arranged, it was to Lucasarts benefit over EA. If EA made a sizable investment and Lucasarts pulls all the profit out of the deal, that would be not very good.

That's why I hate not having facts. There's a tendency in speculation to completely miss the mark.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Will the subscription drop dramatically after the first 30 months, or does this game have a surviving chance?

3 months you mean ? I can see a significant drop once the free month runs out, but just a gut feeling. The game should survive, they had claimed 500k would be good enough, I can see it holding on to that many.

30 months? That would be 2 and a half years, so that would be pretty great.

I'm guessing you meant 3 months. This game is fantastic. Are their gripes? Of course there are. But I played WoW at launch at it had plenty of issues (PvP didn't even exist), and I don't think it had the same initial subscription numbers. The servers are busy and there is a ton of content. I've seen a ton of people super excited at what Bioware has done with this game.

It's really hard to predict what will happen in 3 months, but I just don't see a mass exodus in the near future. It's a fairly quick trip to 50 it seems, but the game is built around creating many alts, so that should really keep a large chunk of players happy for the near future. Plus they seem to have an aggressive timetable for releasing new content.

So Star Wars, combined with Bioware Storytelling Machine, combined with typical MMO mechanics = Very engaging game.

I have to admit, I've managed to put in a fair bit of time on my main character at the moment, I mean, probably silly time compared to the average mmo player. I haven't been doing it to power level up, but to explore the class story and explore as much as I could to see what its like.

I can see myself exploring the other classes to see what those stories are like, but when I do, I'll be taking it slower, fitting in a few hours here and there rather then managing to get in multiple days in a row..

As it is, I don't have any compunction about getting the 6 months non-recurring subscription, and then re-evaluating at the end of that to see whether I want to stick around. There have been no game-breaking bugs for me, while there have been some cheesey dialogues and mild annoyances, no more then in a single player game (especially a bioware one). I mean, if I can get an hours worth of enjoyment for every

I try to limit myself to the WoW comparisons, but I remember the first content patch from Blizzard taking a long time after release. I also lost interest when they seemed mostly focused on raids and PvP content. I don't know if they are faster at this point, but I expect a lot more from Bioware in that regard.

For me the gold standard on this is Turbine. They kept a steady flow of content in Lord of the Rings Online, adding a new area every few months it seemed. This new area pushed the narrative forward. I hope ToR does something like that, it sounds like they will with the new planet coming down the pipeline.

I just read up on server transfers, apparently Bioware is working on a tool to allow us to move characters to other servers. That's great, I've got a few characters spread out right now, and I'm thinking of moving all my characters to a west coast server to get better latency.

They don't have a date yet, but at least they are working on it. With the legacy stuff I was worried it wouldn't be possible.

I'm guessing that there's gonna be a lot of players departing after the 30 days... but will come back and try it after a lot of the kinks worked out.

Right now major issues are:

Jedi Knights/Sith Warriors having animation issues and are just flat out insanely difficult to play

Terrible customer support (particularly wait times)

An animation bug or four

"Unbalanced"

I do see, however, the issue of longevity for the game. With the cutscene heavy style and story based gameplay, you can't easily and quickly power a new character up to the max. Seeing the same story four times does get REALLY old REALLY fast, and the fact that the stories are built such that you HAVE to do the planets in a particular order (and all the starting planets are the same) means that you're seeing the same six cutscenes every time you level up a new character.

This is particularly bad on Coruscant and Dromund Kaas.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

You can get through the cutscenes fairly quickly though. Just space bar through them.

Content patch was added today, so they are working on building on the game. We will for sure play another month, but I still don't know if I'll like the mmo endgame. So beyond that we will see.

Well managed to put in a couple of hours tonight, I've hit 50, and I've just finished off my class-storyline.

Which was.. nicely satisfying. And I can see plenty of areas where they might expand it in the future.

Now having a break before I bother to look around at what's around. Plus still have world quests on Corellia to wrap up.

I do have to say, I'm fairly unimpressed with Corellia as a world.

More rumors: Analyst says EA spent probably $0,5 billion on TOR

If that's true, good luck riddance for Bioware Austin.

What do you guys who play this say? Will the subscription drop dramatically after the first 30 months, or does this game have a surviving chance?

Already had bunch of my guildies quit yesterday. PvP is a mess (for example one sith attacks us and the next update I might see is our party being dead because of the massive lag/fps drop), the factions are really out of balance (something like 5:1 Sith vs. Rep on our server), the changes on Ilum are ******** retarded, Guardian is a broken class and writing is either good or really bad. Not to mention they are recycling voice over like mad.

I'm paying for the next month and then calling it quits, might lvl up another character later on though.

Hate the living, love the dead.

What are the changes on Ilum? I haven't gotten that far yet, so I don't know how it used to be either...

There used to be dailies/weeklies that didn't involve killing the opposite faction. Now they changed it that you can't finish them without killing the opposite faction. So with all the balancing issues (5:1) etc. on servers it becomes really hard for some to finish those quests, while other can just faceroll through it. Now it looks like this:

Sith are gaining valor like mad (since you can farm those turrets and poor opposite faction guys who ended up in there in the 1st place) breaking the PVP even more when they gain best PVP gear available with no effort. Something that used to take long, not to mention how it hurts PVE as well when that PVP gear is so much easier to get than PVE gear of the same caliber. I wonder if some poor Republic players are still stuck on Ilum....

Edited by Flouride

Hate the living, love the dead.

bioware swtor post-mortem its more innovative than an fps

So bio complains about reviews now?

The "unfavourable" reviews on Metacritic just made my day... Seriously, scroll through the user reviews and read the ones giving SWTOR a 1 or a 0. I can't blame Bioware for saying Metacritic has been hijacked. Seriously, there are some VERY angry people out there. I can personally in a way relate to the "single player RPG elitists" who wanted KotOR 3 but got this, but most of them seems to have played and enjoyed WoW. SWTOR is better than WoW in almost every aspect, except of course for end-game content.

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"