Really dumb gaming deaths

Chippy

It isn't inclusive to use the term dumb as we all have different ways of solving problems (you could say I was testing the limits of that giant radscorpion when I charged it at level 1), but as I'm getting older and crankier, I get incredibly annoyed when I die in games. So for the sake of a laugh thought people could submit a few examples - heres my latest:

After over 400 hours of playing New Vegas without dying, of carefully skirting high level enemies, planting traps bombs against them even at high levels, climbing mountains to get at optimal sniping range, buffing with pre-planned chems and having the skill to sneak into a certain dead wind cavern and emerge victorious in melee. Knowing that I could die at any moment but respecting this great example of a game that rewards such planning - I found my way to the last 2 speakers in dead money.... I was seconds away from escaping their radius of influence (running back at full pelt) when my character hit this BLOODY TRAFFIC CONE SOMEONE LEFT BY THE DOOR - and my character goes flying up into the air (project nevada installed, seems to carry momentum) and I get jammed head first into the frame -of course the head first thing didn't last very long.

Not exactly the heroic ironman ending I had expected.

Edited by Chippy

Did I mention that I quicksaved while falling in Jedi Outcast? Oh, I did, did I?

Did I mention I also did that into the 4th mission of Dark Forces 2 just a few days earlier?

This happens all the time.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Games with considerable random elements creates hilarious situations on a regular basis, whether it be Infinity Engine games or Roguelikes (Nethack in particular).

Latest "funny" death was in FO:NV, make a nice trap for a Deathclaw pack by liberally distributing explosives in a narrow spot (a killing zone), just to realise that when you run all the way down and wag your tongue at Mr. and Mrs. Deathclaw, the landmarks don't look exactly the same when backtracking and trying to determine when to use the detonator. One atomized Gorth later and nobody cared if there were any leftovers. Probably the equivalent of shooting yourself in the foot with Dynamite :shifty:

Generally too many weird and funny incidents over the years to remember.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

In Saints Row 3, I'm more surprised at what I manage to survive than how I die.

I let my daughter drive around in the game last night, she is 4, and she hit some curb, sending herself hurtling through the windshield and hitting a wall headfirst. She yelled "Why wasn't I wearing my seat belt!?! Where is the seat belt button daddy?"

Spent about 20 minutes once getting into Hyjal, avoiding elites and then making my way down that cliff, only to jump off a cliff deep in the zone and die. Truly a frustrating moment.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

That reminds me of the Night Elf newbie rite of passage of trying to climb down that big tree Darnassus is on, falling down and never finding your way back as a ghost. That's no longer possible, is it? Isn't there are return to spirit healer button now?

A while ago in KotOR I died to the luckiest mook ever, soloing as a high health soldier vs. this weak mook's stun baton that seemed to have a 100% chance of stun every time. Eventually, after a few minutes of me just sitting there looking around helplessly while he whittled down my health slowly and killed me.

I've never felt so humiliated in a game. ;)

Also, in Aliens vs Predator 2 I always had a habit of pouncing my enemies when standing in front of the insta kill electric fences that make up the level borders. Pounce, opponent dodge, fly towards certain death with no way to stop it.

Heroically battling on a bridge with some bandits in Skyrim. Masssive angry overhand smash with the hammer, mmoving forward. Step past the target who easily side-steps. Plummeted hundreds of feet to my death.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Rarely a game of JA2 or one of the X-Com's without outrageous incidents. In the latter, you can literally bring down the house, leaving your carefully nurtured squad as a red paste under the rubble. People who thought Ian was bad in Fallout needs to play more JA2 to really appreciate his sharpshooter skill and flair for avoiding friendly fire accidents.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Xcom 2: Terror from the Deep had the craziest house fires, I don't know how many squaddies I lost because they passed out due to smoke inhalation. I always sent my people in teams of two, and I remember multiple occasions where one would pass out, and the other would drop all their gear and try to drag the other to safety.

I had about 7000 souls or so and was going back to the Undead Parish through the stairs in the Undead Burg in Dark Souls, the ones next to the bonfire... I was excited to have finally killed the non-respawning knight that's down there so I guess I got distracted, roll the wrong moment... and fell and died. Never got back all those souls :(

The temptation to pick up an unconscious alien and put it in your backback is best avoided, even if it's just the one you need for the armor upgrade.

Lol, theres something similar in SWTOR. Out questing and right next to the quest objective is a dead jedi that you can interact with. Imagine my surprise when interacting with the body summons the World Boss for that planet who one-shots you!

Witcher 2 spoilers ahead.

Tutorial: "I wonder if this huge golem creature takes damage from all these traps I've laid down?". *Geralt takes x200% damage from behind, gets pumelled to the ground, can't get back up and dies*.

The Dragon is back: "I can do this QTE stuff - did it in darksiders". *Presses E twice at the last event instead of once*. "Ok, I think that was a -10HP death".

Burning tower: "Now I better be quick or this tower might burn me to death". *Targets ladder (because of crappy targetting system) instead of woman next to it, Geralt decends ladder, Geralt ascends ladder, Geralt burns to death ... player watches silently*.

Sneak through camp: "Can't go that way as I hit the invisible wall around the tent ropes (was actually the right way) I'll go the other way instead. *Multiple arrows appear in Geralt's chest*.

Geralt gets caught on purpose to save damsel in distress: "Now I've turned off hard QTE's so I can't die here - how do I burn through these ropes?, E does something but I don't want to press the button twice or might die". Unknown to me the instructions to rapidly press E were hidden behind a balzing special effect onscreen. *Guard lunges forward and stabs Geralt through the heart. Geralt dies. Again*.

- At this point I have to admit that if there was a QTE to take control of the guard and twist the blade I would be pressing it until a fingernail snapped.

Final end game scene: "Just drink the vodka and get the hell outta here".

So that game inspired nerd rage in me like no other.

End Spoilers.

My death in Uncharted 3 online multiplayer,

this is in Syria, private match, me and buddies find their "base" we jump in on their huddle and I plant a million grenades [not really], kill most of them, a sniper kills my friend and I am about to commit suicide a,d right when I am almost dead a guy kicks me.

Oblivion was so boring that I used to fall asleep whille playiing it and my player character would end up running off a cliff and dying.

Happened a bunch of times and then I wised and just went straight to bed.

Oblivion went into the coaster pile, so at least in the end it helped keep my drawing surface stain free.

Which is something.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.