Let's Play: Baldur's Gate Trilogy - Ch26 (Mae'Var)

Tigranes

Human Male, Cleric; Human Male with Blue Skin, Paladin; enter stage left. Sit on leftmost table.

Paladin: I don't know about this. I mean, you're clearly an evil person, and I shouldn't be consorting with your like.

Cleric: Now, now. Good and evil are such artificial labels, don't you think?

Paladin: Well, no, considering my Detect Evil badge cries tears of blood whenever I see you. It say's you're.... More Lawful Evil Than Herve Cain.

Cleric: Hey, hey. No need to go that far. Besides, you're the one that came to me, remember? You need my help!

Paladin: Well... that's true. But can you help me?

Cleric: Listen, Nepenthe. Back in the day they called me the slick-grease boy-toy of the Sword Coast. You got problems getting a girl, you come to me.

Paladin: That doesn't sound very flattering.

Cleric: Oh, it was. Very much.

Oner: Gentlemen. You look like you have character levels. Can I interest you in an adventuring job? High risk, unpredictable pay?

Paladin: Oh, I'm sorry. I would, but I really have other priorities at the moment-

Cleric: Wait, hang on. Nep, this is a great opportunity for you! Adventurers get all the hanky-panky!

Paladin: Is that the street slang for hand-holding?

Cleric: Dude. Trust me. You're gonna love hanky-panky.

Oner: Listen, if you guys are in, you better say so now, because with every passing second I'm starting to regret ever talking to you freaks.

Paladin: We're in!

Cleric: I'll tag along, too. It's never too late for H-P.

Oner: Alright. Well, let me get your names...

:lol:

This is going to be fun. What weapon do you have me spec'd for?

But how do you have a paladin in the group and NOT have him set up for two handed swords? That just seems so wrong!

Edited by Deraldin

Elf archers in BG are pretty much munchkinning without actual effort.

What's going on with the Mirrored Eyes potions? I've never actually used them, then again I've only played BG once or twice and that was quite a while ago. I usually skip it altogether and go straight to BG2.

it's frightening how accurate your portrayal of me is sometimes... maybe I should post less frequently :p

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

Elf archers in BG are pretty much munchkinning without actual effort.

What's going on with the Mirrored Eyes potions? I've never actually used them, then again I've only played BG once or twice and that was quite a while ago. I usually skip it altogether and go straight to BG2.

Potions of Mirrored Eyes make you immune to gaze attacks, IE the only thing Basilisks have between you and and their 7000XP.

The campaign is dependent upon my survival!

Which works since I'm the only person willing to be a caster. Despite being a spectacularly bad spellcaster.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

The campaign is dependent upon my survival!

Which works since I'm the only person willing to be a caster. Despite being a spectacularly bad spellcaster.

Yeah! The only spellcaster! Except for the clerics. Oh and the bard. :p

Bards don't count. And we have clerics? I thought they died.

Edit: Apparently you're a Cleric. Yay cleric!

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

If, at any point, more cannon fodder is required feel free to add me.

As a fighter/mage, perhaps.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Basilisks? This should be fun...or not...

On a note, 4 magic missiles = lvl 7 or 8 caster I think.

Mirrored eyes...hope I keep from getting stoned.

Level 7 is right. An extra missle ever other level. 1-3-5-7-9.

:p

I indeed would have loved that hammer. Carry it well, Deraldin.

(Edit: Apart from the Basilisks, I recall that the Sirens on one of the far-west coastal maps are the other good source of mondo-XP this early in the game. Protect yourself from Charm spells, and they're quite low-threat.)

Edited by Enoch

;(

(Edit: Apart from the Basilisks, I recall that the Sirens on one of the far-west coastal maps are the other good source of mondo-XP this early in the game. Protect yourself from Charm spells, and they're quite low-threat.)

I would, but I think that jerk my friend Nepenthe stole is using the hammer. It looks like I'm using a flail. Come on Nepenthe, you've got a fighter's THAC0! What do you need the best cleric weapon in the game for? This is obviously not an optimal solution. Also, I think greylord should give up that wonderful Ankheg armour. It's not like he'll be anywhere near melee combatants where he would need every precious point of AC, he is an archer afterall. :)

Edited by Deraldin

Ah, the proof that BGII is the best game ever made piles up ever higher, with each passing day.

HEAR THAT VOLOURN???

Edited by Drowsy Emperor

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

Where's the proof?

All I see is a bunch of random killings in BG1 with mostly lame attempts at humour thrown with a few genuine chuckles once in the blue moon. Not to mention, it's BG1 being discussed currently in this thread not BG2.

Also, hilarious, that you hate and annoyed by me so much you felt the need to troll me in a thread I hadn't even posted in. Now, you gone to try to ruin a rather harmles thread and besmirhed the OP with your pathetic trolling.

R00fles!

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Swallowed, hook, line and sinker.

When will you turn 15?

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

in 692 posts I'd assume

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

And this was such a fun thread before you guys had to start measuring handbags.

Human Male, Cleric; Human Male with Blue Skin, Paladin; enter stage left. Sit on leftmost table.

Paladin: I don't know about this. I mean, you're clearly an evil person, and I shouldn't be consorting with your like.

Cleric: Now, now. Good and evil are such artificial labels, don't you think?

Paladin: Well, no, considering my Detect Evil badge cries tears of blood whenever I see you. It say's you're.... More Lawful Evil Than Herve Cain.

Cleric: Hey, hey. No need to go that far. Besides, you're the one that came to me, remember? You need my help!

Paladin: Well... that's true. But can you help me?

Cleric: Listen, Nepenthe. Back in the day they called me the slick-grease boy-toy of the Sword Coast. You got problems getting a girl, you come to me.

Paladin: That doesn't sound very flattering.

Cleric: Oh, it was. Very much.

Oner: Gentlemen. You look like you have character levels. Can I interest you in an adventuring job? High risk, unpredictable pay?

Paladin: Oh, I'm sorry. I would, but I really have other priorities at the moment-

Cleric: Wait, hang on. Nep, this is a great opportunity for you! Adventurers get all the hanky-panky!

Paladin: Is that the street slang for hand-holding?

Cleric: Dude. Trust me. You're gonna love hanky-panky.

Oner: Listen, if you guys are in, you better say so now, because with every passing second I'm starting to regret ever talking to you freaks.

Paladin: We're in!

Cleric: I'll tag along, too. It's never too late for H-P.

Oner: Alright. Well, let me get your names...

;(

This is going to be fun. What weapon do you have me spec'd for?

But how do you have a paladin in the group and NOT have him set up for two handed swords? That just seems so wrong!

Deraldin, you can be my wingman any time.

:lol:

I would, but I think that jerk my friend Nepenthe stole is using the hammer. It looks like I'm using a flail. Come on Nepenthe, you've got a fighter's THAC0! What do you need the best cleric weapon in the game for? This is obviously not an optimal solution. Also, I think greylord should give up that wonderful Ankheg armour. It's not like he'll be anywhere near melee combatants where he would need every precious point of AC, he is an archer afterall. :)

But... it's like someone else put it in my hand! Besides, aren't I preachy enough to qualify for a cleric weapon, at least?!

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

"Swallowed, hook, line and sinker.

When will you turn 15? "

Eh. I don't mind being trolled. I find it amusing that you felt me worthy enough to troll. L0LZ

"And this was such a fun thread before you guys had to start measuring handbags."

I agree. ;( But blame the douche who did the trolling. :)

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I thought I'd take a moment to give a bit more detail about the party and how I'm running them, tactics-wise. I'm trying to hit a good balance between in-character and battle optimization; if I was trying to minmax, the stats distribution, proficiencies, equipment distribution, etc. would be very different. E.g. Greylord has the Ankheg Armour because when we found it, Oner didn't want it (class restriction) - besides, he is by far the most efficient character at the moment, so we don't want him keeling over. I'm trying to 'cheese' as little as possible, though everyone has different standards on that... Anyway, at the moment weapon proficiencies are set up so we have as wide a variety of weapons as possible.

Progress-wise I am currently doing most of what I consider the interesting stuff, and skipping a few minor two-minute quests and filler battles in terms of what I cover in the LP. Obviously I won't be visiting the Gnoll Stronghold, for instance - but if you want me to go somewhere in particular I can, just let me know.

5. Go On, Bleed Some XP For Me

1.jpg

As some of you realised, we're about to go Basilisk hunting. We really need some third or at least second level spells, and extra HP, to stand up to the challenges awaiting us, and these guys pack the most HP possible. The thing is, Mirrored Eyes potions only last about 10 turns or so, and we only have 3. So, as the fastest damage dealer, we'll be sending Greylord in alone.

Greylord: My THAC0 Is Sufficient.

You're being a good sport about this. You should know that if a potion runs out during combat, I'm going to have to pause and have you quaff another one... but as I said, with a MP setup the pause command lags a bit.

Greylord: Command Lag is Inevitable Part of Life.

You've got guts, I'll give you that.

2.jpg

Greylord proves superb at gunning down basilisks with the extra attacks his Grand Mastery enables.

Greylord: I am Bad-Ass.

3.jpg

Even three basilisks, including a Greater (the red), are no trouble, though he has to drink a second potion inbetween. Unfortunately, one of the mods must have rebalanced the XP rewards a bit; we only get 1541XP from lesser basilisks, and around 2200 for greater ones. That means we still have a way to go.

4.jpg

Still, Deraldin and Nepenthe have caught up quite well, and we now have... Second Level Priest Spells!

Nepenthe: I'm surprised you didn't have those already.

Deraldin: Hey, with a charisma score like mine, I don't need to wave my arms to impress the ladies. I've got all the magical you need down here.

Nepenthe: Does that... does it really work like that? I mean, should I start talking like you? It's kind of...

Deraldin: No, no. That would be kind of gross. You gotta find your own style, Nep! Your own way of making them bosoms heave with wonder and delight.

Sorophyx: I think you're underestimating the power of your spells there, Deraldin.

Deraldin: Whassat?

Sorophyx: Here, I'll show you. First, you memorise Silence 15" Radius... then, Hold Person. In fact, make that two Hold Persons. You never know.

Deraldin: Ah.

Sorophyx: You're a sharp human, you can figure out the rest on your own, yeah?

Deraldin: Oh, yes. Indeed I can.

5.jpg

Since we have one potion left, we rest up and head a little north. A crazy mage has been training basilisks to make sculptures of random adventurers.

Sorophyx: Kind of pointless, if you don't sell them. He needs a distribution network.

6.jpg

We had the foresight to send Sorophyx ahead, so he now drops back quickly, and we fire a web and Silence spell into the distance. If Mutamin is silenced, we can let the rest of the party stay out of combat, and let the potioned Greylord gun down the basilisks.

7.jpg

Unfortunately, Mutamin casts Vocalise, and we're not quick enough to disrupt his spellcasting. Hopefully he doesn't kill or disable Greylord, or we're screwed.

8.jpg

We follow up with an Entangle for good measure, but Mutamin has mirror imaged himself and also casts slow, which effects Deraldin and Greylord. As Greylord shoots the basilisks, Mutamin draws ever closer to our party.

Tale: I think this calls for the ARCANE SPELLCASTER!

Oner: You know, I'm all for anarchy, but if you cast berries in your pocket again I'm going to kill you.

Tale: No, no, I can do this! I can-

9.jpg

Wait, you really did it!

Tale: And now you see the power of the WILD MAGE!

It killed Mutamin in one hit, by the way.

10.jpg

With a fair amount of XP stocked up, we head South to the nearby Firewine Bridge. We won't disturb the Ogre Mage in a jar nearby, but knock up the lone fighter and pick up a nice Gauntlet of Weapon Expertise. (+1 THAC0, +2 Damage)

11.jpg

The Firewine Bridge's underbelly is a large maze full of kobolds - and this time, yes, most of them are kobold commandos with high-damage fire arrows. Our plan is to let Sorophyx quietly scout out the place, and hopefully backstab lone kobolds to ensure they don't all come running-

Sorophyx: Uh, boss?

-or, you know, you can introduce yourself to the cabal. All good.

12.jpg

In such tight confines, it's counterproductive to have all the melee fighters lumbering around, getting themselves shot, With some help from sorophyx, Greylord shoots down over a dozen kobolds as they come.

Greylord: Wee.

13.jpg

After that, the maze mostly turns out to be empty, and as we near its end, Sorophyx once again goes out scouting. He spots an unbuffed mage, kobold commandos and ogrillions, but decides to go back first so we can buff the party.

14.jpg

But as Sorophyx exits hide in shadows...

Sorophyx: You're kidding me.

Tale: The mage is coming! Here! Right now!

Sorophyx: I can't hide in shadows again, I'm not going to be able to backstab him!

Tale: Wait, how about-

15.jpg

I've never seen Set Snare even work with below 50 skill.

Sorophyx: Purkake's Insta-Trap . Good to go in just half a turn!

16.jpg

Exactly half a second later, Lendarn dimension doors to our location, and gets a couple of arrows in the face.

17.jpg

Encouraged by the unexpected success, we proceed by backstabbing an Ogrillion into chunks; hopefully they will all then start coming towards us along the narrow corridor, giving plenty of time for Greylord to shoot them down.

Oner: Hey, what about us?

Meatshields, obviously.

18.jpg

Oh, right. Ogre Mage. I forgot there was one here - he stands invisible even before combat starts.

19.jpg

The Ogrillions are predictably easy to dispose of, but then the Ogre Mage teleports in behind us.

Tale: GET OUT OF MY WAY!

Yeah, it could probably kill you with a magic missile.

20.jpg

Surprisingly, it appeared to have cast haste, mirror image and a globe of invulnerability, but neither protection from normal arrows or stoneskin. The good old strategy of beating the **** out of him leaves us relatively unscathed.