RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS THREAD!

Gorth

i see absolutely nothing wrong with pursuing pirates and thieves. i support this 10000x more than putting in DRM that only hurts paying customers.

As someone who hates DRM, but enjoys buying PC games, I agree. I HATE publishers that punish the legit punishers with their DRM internet monitoring big brother schemes...if they actually can do the tracking with 100% accuracy, then it gets those people that they are after and which means they are spending less time hurting me...a paying customer, and more to actually stop the people that they claim are the bad guys instead.

"Hmm. That would involve them offering the file for free themselves, as an agent of CDPR. Can't see them getting any good result if that were the case (it's either entrapment or they've voided their own copyright protection against duplication by allowing said duplication in the first place). I'm always deeply sceptical of 100% accuracy statements as that will often mean something like "we included a clause in which liability is admitted in all settlements and as such our accuracy is 100%! FACT!!! r00fles!". It's also telling that they are doing it in Germany rather than somewhere like the UK where lawyers have been disbarred (IIRC) and firms have gone out of business for issuing such letters, or the US where the extremely apropos "Shakedown" description comes from."

Private citizens cna't be guilty of entrapment only the police can. ie. As a pirvate citizen I could call up a drug dealer to set up a purchase then call the cops on him to make an arrest. That's not entrapment since only the police cna be guilty of that.

You also can't void your own copy protection since you can make copies of your own product as much as you want. Afterall, if you couldn't bypass your own copy protection you wouldn't be able to sell copies of your product since you need ton be able mass produce them. Your logic here stinks.

I do agree the 'shakedown' thing is suspicious and probably is illegal - espciially since they throw out a random dollar amount (over a $1000). Only a judge can dtermine what the punishment is.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

1) Police don't (except in exception circumstances) deal with civil infringements like copyright, the rights holders do

2) Piracy = copyright infringement by means of unauthorised duplication. If you're offering the files for download yourself then you have authorised it.

3) The letters are legal, at least in Germany which is where they are being issued. They're quite a big industry there.

here's some news: next year looks pretty shabby for games imo. except diablo 3, and guild wars 2 if it actually gets released.

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

I'm not sure how it would be entrapment.

If I wanted to pirate the Witcher 2, I'd have to go to a site like pirate bay and specifically search for the Witcher 2 or browse the PC games. I think that would show that I have the intent/desire to pirate the game prior to whatever agency they're using offering it to me.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

after DA2 I'm a lot less excited about mass effect 3...

hopefully the game is fantastic, but im not as confident as i feel like i should be

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Yeah... I'm kind of relieved that after DAO Bio have gone completely away from what I want to play. Now I don't have to try and guess whether the game will still have enough stuff to work for me, I can just not bother at all. I still think they are an accomplished developer and am glad there's a powerhouse RPG dev out there, but everything in their lineup bores me to tears now.

Of course, I'm not so sure about Diablo III either (Blizzard seems to have changed a lot, and it shows in the current cycle of games), have to wait and see on the South Park RPG, so... huh. Age of Decadence? 2013? :(

hopefully the game is fantastic, but im not as confident as i feel like i should be

Because it's rained for two days straight, I'm a lot less excited about summer.

Yeah, that makes as much sense.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Huh? The latest singleplayer rpg from the developer failed to impress him so he's not so optimistic about the next game from them.. that seems perfectly fair?

Fortune favors the bald.

Huh? The latest singleplayer rpg from the developer failed to impress him so he's not so optimistic about the next game from them.. that seems perfectly fair?

If I based my expectations on a new release based on how the studio's last game worked, I wouldn't still be at the obsidian board. In this case, there is basically **** all shared between the two teams working on the different franchises, so the correlation between the two games is roughly in the neighborhood of how this December's weather reflects with what I'm gonna get in July. Sure, it can suck, but it won't be because December sucked.

Doesn't seem that unreasonable to look at the studio's track record as a whole, happens when people get excited over a upcoming release after all. Risen 2 is one game I'll mark down as having to play next year.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Doesn't seem that unreasonable to look at the studio's track record as a whole, happens when people get excited over a upcoming release after all. Risen 2 is one game I'll mark down as having to play next year.

Especially if you can do basic math. Bioware Edmonton runs two teams. Due to fubaring the DAO schedule, both teams wound up releasing games two months apart. Situation had to be fixed so that shared QA resources (which, apart from administration, is shared between the teams to a degree) wouldn't be taxed at the same time (and publisher wouldn't shoot itself in the let by releasing two RPGs from their top RPG studio essentially simultaneously), so we got the rushed DA2 and the extended development ME3 (which admittedly was further extended by delays to SWTOR). I think anyone can accept that the other option, developing DA2 over 3-4 years after the DAO fiasco wasn't a viable option, especially since it still wouldn't have please the people who can't be pleased. ;)

Based on this, I'm more inclined to base my expectations on past Bioware track record without including DA2 - which I'm on record as having enjoyed in spite of its issues, anyway.

the only part where progress is noticeable is the Mako parts, but of course probing wasn't a lot better.

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

Looks like nepenthe "the bioware warrior" is on it again.. I get it you find it annoying that people whine about bio's games, but it's not much better to keep whining every single time someone says something bad about them.

And did I just whine about the whiners whiner?

I just hope it's on a Steam sale quickly.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

" Bioware Edmonton runs two teams. Due to fubaring the DAO schedule, both teams wound up releasing games two months apart. Situation had to be fixed so that shared QA resources (which, apart from administration, is shared between the teams to a degree) wouldn't be taxed at the same time (and publisher wouldn't shoot itself in the let by releasing two RPGs from their top RPG studio essentially simultaneously), so we got the rushed DA2 and the extended development ME3 (which admittedly was further extended by delays to SWTOR). I think anyone can accept that the other option, developing DA2 over 3-4 years after the DAO fiasco wasn't a viable option, especially since it still wouldn't have please the people who can't be pleased. "

BIO has 100s of emplyees in Edmonton alone. This doesn't even count the access they have to EA QA teams and other EA employees. Lack of employees is not an issue. Also, hiow did EA 'shoot themselves in the foot' by releasing two games close together? Both sold very well. That's all EA cvares about - they do not care that some yahoos on the internet dissaprove of their way of business.

Besdies, DA2 was just as good as DA. Anyone who thinks otherwise is simply wrong. Yeah, I went there.

"Looks like nepenthe "the bioware warrior" is on it again.. I get it you find it annoying that people whine about bio's games, but it's not much better to keep whining every single time someone says something bad about them."

I know where youa re comig from. You only want to read repetive posts if you with them. L0L That's how most internet posters are.

There's too much 'BIO envy' amongst a certain sect of Obsidian fanboys who are are simply jealous (for soem reason) that no matter how much they hate BIO and feel the need to bash they continue to be more successful and Obsidian is forever stuck in 'BIO Jr.' stage despite beinga round for almost 10 years now.

Thankfully, there is also a secty of Obsidian fans who don'y see it as some sort of lame competition and just enjoy Obsidian for what they do not in comaprison to others.

R00fles!

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.