Christmas Spirit

Hurlshort

"Thou shalt worship no god" sticks in my craw as badly as "Thou shalt worship no god but me."

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

They got pretty lucky in that lottery, heh. I rather enjoy having militant athiests around though, they're fun and easy to troll. :lol:

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

How about A-hole prevention week? We all vow to give a slap on the head to any atheist trying to ruin the festivities.

Edited by Orogun01
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

They bring balance to the force. The religious nuts need a visible antithesis. It's mostly about getting coverage I suppose.

Here's a thought, we could have them duke it out in a mud wrestling tournament. Those tickets would sell out fast.

Edited by Gorgon

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

I think it's was a missed opportunity for outreach. Happy Solstice I like. Various secular displays relevant to winter could have gone up. Mocking Christians doesn't really do anything except gratify yourself.

That said, the people who typically get that spot could just have easily been similarly pushy. Putting up signs claiming you're going to hell and to remember that Christmas should be about Jesus. However, I also favor being the better man, so even if they tended to be so, responding in kind wouldn't have been my preference.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

When it comes to babies, always assume they're jerks.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

"Our belief is that these new applicants have been working together to displace and push out the nativity scenes from the park, rather than erecting a full display of their own," said Hunter Jameson, a spokesman for a coalition of the city's churches.

When I saw that I just had a sarcastic "AAAANNNNNDDD????" zip through my head.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Surely this debate is misdirected. It's both a religious thing and a fun thing. And these jerks are just trying to wreck it so they can feel morally and intellectually superior.

Why not try and blockade Mardi Gras? Or firehose people on St Patrick's Day?

Dickheads.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Atheists apparently have waged war on Christmas!

http://news.yahoo.com/atheist-messages-dis...-194651974.html

Honestly this reminds me of the little snot nosed kid who tries to ruin the magic of Santa for everyone else. You don't need to be religious to enjoy the holidays.

It's an occasion that encourages immense waste and consumption. So I have no problem with Christmas. I have a huge problem with the "gift" giving.

Besides, over 95% of Americans are religious. Now that is one ****ed up statistic. Can't say I really blame the atheists in America for being so militant given the **** and idiocy they must have to put up with on a daily basis.

You have a problem with gift giving? Did you get socks as a child?

I can't wait to watch my kids open their presents, it's an awesome moment.

You should get them a job instead so they could earn their own socks.

[/scrooge]

;)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Besides, over 95% of Americans are religious. Now that is one ****ed up statistic. Can't say I really blame the atheists in America for being so militant given the **** and idiocy they must have to put up with on a daily basis.

Hm, not really sure that makes sense for them to be 'militant', I'm pretty sure the crap they must deal with every day isn't related to religion, heh.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

You have a problem with gift giving? Did you get socks as a child?

I can't wait to watch my kids open their presents, it's an awesome moment.

You don't need some arbitrary holiday to get your kids presents. You don't need to buy your children's love by buying them presents. You don't need to be wasteful to get your kids interesting presents. Heck, it's not gifts for one's children that I really have a problem with anyway, it's the wider notion that everybody has to buy gifts for people on Christmas day or it's a sign they don't care. It's a bad social concept, and it has a massively wasteful result.

You can't deny the number of unwanted presents (which have a very large cumulative greenhouse gas footprint and water consumption footprint from their production and transport) that end up in landfill or a cupboard for years from this one arbitrary day of the year. You can't deny the number of cats, dogs, and other pets that end up on the streets, at the pound, or euthanised because of this ridiculously over-blown gift-giving tradition.

I know global warming doesn't mean much to you Americans but it does to the rest of the world and it will mean something to your kids when it starts toying severely with their living standards. Christmas is one tradition this planet would be better off without. Spread your love for each other more throughout the year and figure out a way to do so that doesn't involving buying ****loads of new consumables which will generally not be used nor wanted.

There are ways to celebrate Christmas cleanly and sustainably, but people don't. That's the problem.

As a hard agnostic, I find strict atheism just as ideologically absurd as theism. That said, militant atheists are nowhere near as obnoxious/harmful to society as evangelical Christians, and anyone who is legitimately offended by these displays needs to grow up.

"The universe is a yawning chasm, filled with emptiness and the puerile meanderings of sentience..." - Ulyaoth

"It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built." - Kreia

"I thought this forum was for Speculation & Discussion, not Speculation & Calling People Trolls." - lord of flies

I don't think it's absurd.

Trying to claim any knowledge about the existence of the supernatural (which, by definition, cannot be *known*) is about as absurd as it gets. The question of supernatural entities is a silly, irrelevant one, and having a belief either way with regards to it is equally silly.

"The universe is a yawning chasm, filled with emptiness and the puerile meanderings of sentience..." - Ulyaoth

"I thought this forum was for Speculation & Discussion, not Speculation & Calling People Trolls." - lord of flies

Not if you don't recognise the category as anything other than a group psychological phenomenon. Surely it is the belief in divinity that is on the face of it fantastical and requiring proof. If there is no evidence then, ipso facto, there is no observable divinity.

The other side of the argument has invented a category outside what can be observed and documented, that's not a draw or a technical KO. It's cheating.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

Not if you don't recognise the category as anything other than a group psychological phenomenon. Surely it is the belief in divinity that is on the face of it fantastical and requiring proof. If there is no evidence then, ipso facto, there is no observable divinity.

The other side of the argument has invented a category outside what can be observed and documented, that's not a draw or a technical KO. It's cheating.

The category is, by definition, irrelevant. Having an opinion on its validity is stupid and baseless, regardless of the opinion itself.

Krez, you sound like some kind of green commissar right now. Waste is evil! The unbeliever must be struck down! NO holidays for the sinful!

Can you really not see that?

Because if you can't then for the love of all that isn't holy don't say another word until you do.

-Elwood Blues

While I like christmas, Krez does have a point. The thing is, though, is that Christmas possibly acts as a gift bottleneck. Plenty of parents and spouses go "ooh, I should get this for my child and/or significant other... wait, I'll wait 'til Christmas, it'll be a good gift for then!" so I think it might even be counter to waste. I think the bigger problem, from an environmental standpoint, is the horrible waste of all these decorations and leftover foods that just go into the trash.

Or am I thinking too positive about people? I know I give my girlfriend gifts as often as I can just because I enjoy the look on her face.