Piracy

Rosbjerg

Plus, it's for personal use only and I'm using it that way instead of the DVD if I put it on the Iphone or Ipod. They consider that illegal in some places? Talk about draconian.

If we leave out 'right' or 'wrong' for a moment then, yes, it's illegal in a number of countries. DVD's (movies anyway) usually come with a copyright notice telling you that you are not allowed to distribute or duplicate the content of the disc in any shape or form.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Plus, it's for personal use only and I'm using it that way instead of the DVD if I put it on the Iphone or Ipod. They consider that illegal in some places? Talk about draconian.

If we leave out 'right' or 'wrong' for a moment then, yes, it's illegal in a number of countries. DVD's (movies anyway) usually come with a copyright notice telling you that you are not allowed to distribute or duplicate the content of the disc in any shape or form.

I don't think I've ever actually read a copyright notice or paid attention if the disks had it or not to tell the truth. I suppose I should have. So if it's a UK movie, not available in the US for download...and it's copied off a UK disk in the US...or a US disk in the UK...or even better, either one in Japan or Korea, which one is claiming who broke what law?

I need to pop in a movie and see if that warning is actually on there!

It's kind of messed up. People record movies off of TV, or music off the radio and pay nothing...yet someone like me who paid for the movie and then proceeds to use the disk as back up because our primary movie watching time is on the plane or train are the ones that they actually have made laws saying we're doing something illegal...even though we have no desire to distribute or really duplicate for anyone else...it's simply for private viewing! There has to be a clause that says something like duplicating or showing for those OTHER than personal means...surely.

I could swear that even then you're allowed one copy for PERSONAL backup in some nations.

Perhaps it's a pure Hollywood US thing that has tried to stretch it's reach across the world? Then again I travel a LOT (read most) in the US so I guess they'd consider me culpable.

(Edit: Are you certain that law actually applies to personal usage on an Iphone or Ipod? Hasn't it referred to hard copy in the past rather than soft copy on a personal item when you can only watch one of them at a time anyways? I KNOW many of the DVDs nowdays have noted that this was done, and I think noted it legal or whatever since they now actually include these digital copies along with the DVD itself making this process to put it on my Ipod even easier. Surely they aren't saying, go ahead and break the law so we can go ahead and prosecute you? I'd probably think that's akin to bait and switch or something.)

Edited by greylord

I could swear that even then you're allowed one copy for PERSONAL backup in some nations.

I can confirm this, it's the case in France. Yet it remains illegal to modify the content of a product, even for personal use (it's linked to the licenses). But if the content has a way to block personal replication, modifying it to allow replication for personal use is illegal but the content itself (blocking replication) is also illegal. Then, the replication is not generally condemned by justice because such companies putting illegal (well, at the limit of legality at least) protections don't sue people modifying the content.

The illegality of the modification of content is to protect artists and developers from deviation of their creation. Of course, it's delicate to separate the artistic content from what is its material or immaterial support. It's easy for a book (the content is what is written, the support is the paper, ink ...) or a material product. For a digital product, there is no clear separation.

Hurrah for justice by lynchmob!

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I also think it speaks volumes of the stupidity that goes towards blaming piracy for killing the PC game market. It obviously didn't kill the console market, in fact I'd say the console market has gone up in relation to the PC market.

We discussed this before - console piracy is not on the same scale as PC piracy.

And that's largely because it's far more complicated and carries greater consequences.

Actualy, that's not the case, it just shows, how much you do not know about the rest of the world, which is less "civilised" There are lot of profesional console hackers, who even give you warranty and RMA possibilities on thier works in these countries... So for the end-users, there is no consequences for modding the consoles... OFC hackers like this, do not operate in most of the "civilised" world due to the stronger copyright laws, and even if it is legal in some more tech savy countries, there is much lower demand for the service, because the piracy is at much much lower rate there.

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

I find this "take downs" highly silly. It has no purpose and is like fighting against windmills.

It has the exact same purpose like fighting piracy with DRM or sueing people or taking down Cloud Services :(

Actualy, that's not the case, it just shows, how much you do not know about the rest of the world, which is less "civilised"

Now that's quite presumptuous of you.

Unless you have any idea which part of world I live in and what console piracy looks here I'd avoid any such statements.

There are lot of profesional console hackers, who even give you warranty and RMA possibilities on thier works in these countries... So for the end-users, there is no consequences for modding the consoles...

There are always consequences and they will reach end-user through the people doing the cracking.

Having to deal with total online-bans, loss of warranty, console bricking, software updates and media changes simply dose not come free.

Actualy, that's not the case, it just shows, how much you do not know about the rest of the world, which is less "civilised"

Now that's quite presumptuous of you.

Unless you have any idea which part of world I live in and what console piracy looks here I'd avoid any such statements.

There are lot of profesional console hackers, who even give you warranty and RMA possibilities on thier works in these countries... So for the end-users, there is no consequences for modding the consoles...

There are always consequences and they will reach end-user through the people doing the cracking.

Having to deal with total online-bans, loss of warranty, console bricking, software updates and media changes simply dose not come free.

Actualy every single person who I know, who plays online and is pirating, owns cracked and uncracked console :( Cracked firmware updates are offered as cheap subscription... Anyway, any person who has cracked console and goes online with it, deserves to get Darwin's Award and as soon as possible... And as I said, if there is profi cracker who offers you RMA possibilities, stuff like bricking the console does not concern you in a slighest... Lot of these guys does understand the console in such a degree, that you do not need to get your console to the Sony or Microsoft service... They just repair them... You only need to pay bigger price for modding the console... It's the same service like some companies offer... The more you pay, the longer your warranty is...

EDIT: Just to make it clear... There is no modders who offer warranty on their services in my country, so in that case some of the stuff you are talking about is higly valid.

Edited by Mamoulian War

• 2 weeks later...

Well... bought the Star Wars Blu Rays (atlast), just to find out my software can't play it... it can play ANY other blu rays.

Googling found it was due to a new encryption added to the disk. Which requires me to get a $100 software update to play it. Just for these movies.

Sorry, not worth it... your DRM just makes me go back to the store and return the item. Costumer lost. Dammit.

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

In my experience, movies that were filmed prior to high definition digital cameras don't really gain much with the blue ray transition.

I have the Blade Runner tin box collectors edition DVD and I've seen the same version on Blue Ray as well and there's no real difference between the two.

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

I have to disagree, my Star Wars Blu-Rays look phenomenal compared to the DVD's.

Hassat, that software issue sounds like a problem with your blu-ray player, not the discs. Is your player network capable? I know both my PS3 and regular Blu-Ray player upgrade their software occasionally, it never costs me anything. Plus new blu-ray players are like $60.

Yeah, it's the software.

But ALL my other blu-rays run fine, and to upgrade I have to spend $100.

Not going to pay that much (as it's on top of the price of the box itself) for just these movies...

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Yes... Spending another 60 USD just to be able to see his rightfully purchased gooods beause of retarded use of DRM is the right solution and I bet, that when every customer uses this solution, some execs get fat bonuses on their payrolls...

Can you guys explain how this is a DRM issue? It's sounds more like how newer games require the most recent drivers to run properly. Blu-Ray players need updates occasionally to run the newest discs. It sounds like Hassat has a really old player that doesn't update, maybe a previous generation. He might have trouble playing most new Blu-Ray discs.

Is your player network capable?

Because the Star Wars blurays seem the only in existance with this sort of security, giving these issues.

(For recent, HP 7.2 or The Lion King works fine, which are both newer)

It's not like getting a software update, it's more like some games like Just Cause II to require you to use Vista/7. If you have XP then, and *just* one game of that type, and no interest to shell hundreds of dollars for a Windows update... well...

And just to make clear... it's a software player, I try to run it on my PC (since, no TV). The updates for my player are not enough, I need a paid version increase... yay (not)

^

(double post since I can't edit my post yet :()

For the JC2 example; Except with the difference that the reason it's not working isn't "more recent DX required for the engine" and more "stupidly idiot DRM added"...

^

Aren't the bluray versions of the Star Wars movies terrible, anyway?

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Aren't the bluray versions of the Star Wars movies terrible, anyway?

Aren't most of the Star Wars movies terrible?

:biggrin:

One could successfully argue that.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Lies, dirty lies. Well ok, I suppose 1 out of 6 being not bad does help your case.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Lies, dirty lies. Well ok, I suppose 1 out of 6 being not bad does help your case.

My victory will be complete with the 3D re-re-re-release.