Movies you've seen recently

Tale

It became trendy to hate on M Night Shamylan a few years back. I think it's just because Sixth Sense was insanely good, and it is hard to live up to that every time out. I thought The Village was one of his better films.

Just don't watch the Mark Wahlberg one, that one was better off not happening.

Sixth Sense and Unbreakable.. the rest have just seemed to lose the plot. Or just become fairly.. inane rather then meaningful or smart.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Spurred on by the Honest Hearts dlc for New Vegas I watched an old favourite, the Mission with Robert DeNiro and Jeremy Irons. Fantastic movie where DeNiro actually seems to vary up his performance and for once not just rely on the same old tools. It's all the more striking when you realise it was based on actual events.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Spurred on by the Honest Hearts dlc for New Vegas I watched an old favourite, the Mission with Robert DeNiro and Jeremy Irons. Fantastic movie where DeNiro actually seems to vary up his performance and for once not just rely on the same old tools. It's all the more striking when you realise it was based on actual events.

Have you not seen Stardust yet? DeNiro has a small changeup in that.. ;)

Sixth Sense and Unbreakable.. the rest have just seemed to lose the plot. Or just become fairly.. inane rather then meaningful or smart.

This.

I just finished watching Stand By Me again. Wonderful film.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

Captain America.

I just read some of the fairly glowing reviews for it, and I feel like I must have watched a different movie. Oh, it had some charm, especially in the beginning, and I liked that it wasn't all super-huge CGI spectacle most of the time. But it lacked cohesive characterization for the most part, not to mention the jerky editing and pacing of scene timing & placing. Half way thru I stopped caring about any character at all. I felt like it might've been a pretty good 4 hour movie that was then forcibly edited/truncated to fit into a 2 hr. time frame. The biggest redeeming factor was the Capt. America sells war bonds montage...that was cute/funny.

I liked Iron Man, Thor and even the silly Green Lantern better.

Just don't watch the Mark Wahlberg one, that one was better off not happening.

:lol:

I rewatched some of that one not long ago, when it was on TV. Oddly, it wasn't quite as horrid on 2nd watch as it was on the 1st watch. Maybe because I was viewing it more as a comedy, and it sort of worked that way.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

The Village is definitely udnerrated. very good film and unlike The Sixth Sense it's more than just one 'twist ending'.

Movies i've seen - Piranha (new version): Solid 'B' movie. Hits the right notes but nothing surprising really happens as it goes strictly by the horror script. O'Donnell was very good in the role. 7/10

Just Go With It - One of Sandler's better movies and probably Aniston's best movie role ever. I felt kinda bad for the girlfriend in the end. She got screwed. The movie is hurt big time byt he cowardlya ct of not showing how/when she finds out ons creen. 8/10

Beastly - Remake of the Beauty & the Best. Wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy better than it had any right to be. Some very creative casting. the leads were good but the supporting cast put it over the top. 8/10

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Just Go With It - One of Sandler's better movies and probably Aniston's best movie role ever.

They are nominated for a number of awards too ;)

Saw "The Fog" (the old one, not the remake). Fun in a B-Movie kind of way. Also gave my colleagues a good laugh when we first talked about that movie years ago. My accent makes it close to impossible to pronounce the soft 'g' at the end (sounds like a hard 'k'). Talking about fog in the street and everywhere else takes on new meanings.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Underworld Awakening..

Heh, Kate Beckinsale in that tight outfit, a few fun set action pieces (although one does slide into a Matrix / Equilibrium reminiscent event), the usual arrival of a "twist/surprise reveal" in the latter third of the movie, and Kris Holden-Reid as another Werewolf. Oh, and the ending pretty much screams out as setup for another film.

Still, enjoyable popcorn for the brain.

Definately the poorest in the series though, possibly bad enough to kill the francise off for good.

Somewhere in the world, someone said the same thing about Resident Evil Apocalypse. We are 3 awful movies after that.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Watched Justice League: Doom the other day. Right up there with Crisis on Two Earths and Under the Red Hood for best DC direct to DVD movies. Makes Wonder Woman look like a complete dumbass though.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Watched Justice League: Doom the other day. Right up there with Crisis on Two Earths and Under the Red Hood for best DC direct to DVD movies. Makes Wonder Woman look like a complete dumbass though.

I watched Justice League: Doom a few weeks ago and enjoyed it, especially the attempt to break Bruce Wayne :thumbsup:

I thought JL:D was pretty good, as well. I still think that Crisis on Two Earths is the best, with the worst being All Star Superman.

What does DC have coming out after this for animated films? I've found most of them pretty enjoyable.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

Goon - Just awesome. It is loosely based on a true story about a guy who learns how to skate at the age of 19 and ends up playing hockey at the highest minor league level because of his fighting skills. Best movie I've seen in a long time, I would put it right next to Slapshot on the hockey movie shelf.

Rango and Hugo.

Both are homages to films and both are okay movies.

Rango has the same gripe I had with Vidal's Pirates of the Carribean: both have good ideas but they overstay their welcome. No matter how good the gags are they should have cut it down to a proper 90 minutes instead of including boring chase scenes and unnecessary plot twists.

Hugo has a similar problem. It starts as an adventure mystery, but half an hour in it turns into a Melies homage spun into a stereotypical "kid saves the day" tale. Which is a pity because Melies really had a very interesting life to start with. On top of that it has a hugely annoying colour palette, the entire movie being coloured in orange and blue that screams "faaaaake!" in every scene, and the emphasized colours actually make it hard to see what's going on in the background sometimes.

To Scorsese: Just because you can abuse just about every segment of the film in post production doesn't mean you should do it.

7/10 for both.

Edited by Drowsy Emperor

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

I thought JL:D was pretty good, as well. I still think that Crisis on Two Earths is the best, with the worst being All Star Superman.

What does DC have coming out after this for animated films? I've found most of them pretty enjoyable.

All Star Superman was pretty bad. Batman: Year One needed a better adaption, the story was there, but they adapted the format of the comic, which only works as a comic. Next one coming is Superman vs The Elite. Basically the precursor to Kingdom Come from what I saw. Bunch of anti-heroes come and start killing villains publicly, and the people support them leading supes to question his role. But then they go too far and Superman has to put them down. Looks interesting.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg