Movies you've seen recently

Tale

My kids are watching Mars Needs Moms" right now, which is a Disney animated film. Apart form the terrible title, it has the most awkward looking faces I've seen in a movie in awhile. It looks like Oblivion. I guess it costs a ton to make and bombed, yikes.

Bought some Ralph Bakshi moves from Amazon a few months ago. I'm probably going to Watch 'Fire and Ice' and 'Wizards' tonight, accompanied by a bottle of red wine, some crackers and some dip.

Fire and Ice rules if you're familiar with Frazetta's art and accept it for what it is. Wizards is silly but fun.

I've been collecting Frazetta images/wallpapers for 35 years (got a few of his artbooks too) :sorcerer:

Fire and Ice was nice, Wizards a major disappointment.

Continuing my Roger Corman watching with Death Race 2000 and Galaxy of Terror.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

My kids are watching Mars Needs Moms" right now, which is a Disney animated film. Apart form the terrible title, it has the most awkward looking faces I've seen in a movie in awhile. It looks like Oblivion. I guess it costs a ton to make and bombed, yikes.

Well it was all mocapped physically (the kid being Seth Green... they actually re-recorded all of his dialogue)

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I watched most of Beowulf (with Angelina in it) the other night. Apart from the baffling choice of male voice lead - fat men sound fat - I really liked it. The graphics are quite badly dated, but it still largely works. A tale of heroism and shame, with awesome levels of guts chucked about, and of course fantasy Jolie covered in a thin layer of gold paint and nothing else.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Well it was all mocapped physically (the kid being Seth Green... they actually re-recorded all of his dialogue)

First off, they never should have ditched Seth Green's voice, even if it doesn't sound exactly like a kid, it's a memorable voice that stands out. Secondly, the mocap stuff seems like a bad idea altogether. Why do an animated film at all then? Animated films should be stylized and artistic, this just looked creepy.

It doesn't seem like Disney will make that mistake again. They took a gigantic bath on it.

They chose MoCap because Motion Capture and Performance Capture are buzzwords right now. As someone who works with MoCap, I can't describe how many idiots come along trying to get their cartoony, three foot walking blob character MoCapped by people who have, you know, human proportions. Of course, most MoCap companies need the work, so they don't tell them that they'll spend more time retargeting than they would have spent hand-animating it, and then the client decides that MoCap doesn't work and never works with them again even though they're the ones who didn't think it through.

Edited by TrueNeutral

Since we don't have a TV thread I have been streaming QI with the spectacularly gay Steven Fry. It's a (90s?) gameshow, which I now realise they made in Danish with the spectacularly Gay Jarl Friis-Mikkelsen. Don't remember what it was called. I suspect Fry of helping himself to several large glasses of sherry before taping, which doesn't hurt the entertainment value at all.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

Since we don't have a TV thread I have been streaming QI with the spectacularly gay Steven Fry. It's a (90s?) gameshow, which I now realise they made in Danish with the spectacularly Gay Jarl Friis-Mikkelsen. Don't remember what it was called. I suspect Fry of helping himself to several large glasses of sherry before taping, which doesn't hurt the entertainment value at all.

No, its on its.. 9th season is it now? and it started up around 2005.

QI - Quite Interesting, it doesn't matter if you get the correct answer or not, you get points for the interesting answer. And lose if you say the obvious one (which is usually incorrect as well..)

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy.

Some quite nicely understated performances, and it really catches the mood and atmosphere of the times, and the story. Although warning for those folks who need it, there's no real "action" and it is quite slow paced.

Saw The Warriors, wasn't too bad for a story of nine guys trying to commute home >_<

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Wish I could see the new Sherlock season/episode, but it's not 1st run here, that I know of anyway.

Contagion - pretty good. I think it would have worked better/been more "real-world scary" with lesser known actors/actresses, tho.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Some quite nicely understated performances, and it really catches the mood and atmosphere of the times, and the story. Although warning for those folks who need it, there's no real "action" and it is quite slow paced.

Could you elaborate on the "understated performances" the movie has been getting lots of praise, specially regarding Gary Oldman's acting. It just seems to me that what carries a film like that it's performances and considering the all star cast that's what I was expecting from it. And now you have to worry me.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Could you elaborate on the "understated performances" the movie has been getting lots of praise, specially regarding Gary Oldman's acting. It just seems to me that what carries a film like that it's performances and considering the all star cast that's what I was expecting from it. And now you have to worry me.

Oh, don't worry. I meant that in the good way of understated performances. Gary Oldman can be a very good actor, but he's also had a lot of roles that are.. bigger then the screen? Characters that can loom and be very loud (performance wise, not verbally). Within this film, all the characters they play have no real scenery chewing, there are no "loud" moments. They're all very quiet, restrained, very.. English. The whole film has a certain sense of claustrophobic feeling to it when it's all taken together, and that suits the story.

I quite expected that from what I saw in the trailer, still thanks for putting me at ease.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

village_idiot.gif

Oh, don't worry. I meant that in the good way of understated performances. Gary Oldman can be a very good actor, but he's also had a lot of roles that are.. bigger then the screen? Characters that can loom and be very loud (performance wise, not verbally). Within this film, all the characters they play have no real scenery chewing, there are no "loud" moments. They're all very quiet, restrained, very.. English. The whole film has a certain sense of claustrophobic feeling to it when it's all taken together, and that suits the story.

"Whats a Drexel?"

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Watched Valhalla Rising, 'cause JE Sawyer mentioned it in his twitter.

Holy Odin loved every single minute of it. The atmosphere, the pace...the tension, just perfect. Most importantly, almost no talk. That's why I like Scandinavian movies. ;)

Seriously, I don't get all these idiot comments why people couldn't sit through the entire experience, or why they got bored.

4.5/5

I got all psyched about it because I watched the trailer and wrongfully assumed it represented the film I was about to watch. Turns out it represents the first 5 minutes of the movie. First 5 minutes, badass viking movie. 2nd hour and a half was just... well just awful. I've never been more disappointed by a movie in my life. I now know how people who knew nothing about Watchmen felt after their expectations were set by the trailer. If your movie is a slow plodding confusing art film, don't market it as a badass viking action movie.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Apollo 18. It wasn't bad. It's just not especially good either. I don't think it used the found footage concept very well. And it wasn't scary. But I don't begrudge the time I spent viewing.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Have I already recommended Midnight in Paris? Because it's one of the best movies that I've seen in the last years.

village_idiot.gif

Watching Star Trek TNG in a bout of nostalgia. You really can't do everything with rubber facemolds. Well you can, but it's not exactly easy on the eyes.

That's from Voyager, I know. God I hate Neelix.

Not as much as I hate Janeway. Not a fraction. Well, not a large fraction.

-Elwood Blues