Movies you've seen recently

Tale

I'm confused about how you can seriously be anything but positive about Ryan Reynolds after watching Christopher Lambert in the original. At no point did Lambert ever come close to being a decent actor.

Would it be bad if Reynolds brought some lightheartedness to the role? Adrian whatshisname didn't take himself so seriously in the TV show. Also, Reynolds was the best part of Blade 3, and he wasn't the problem with Green Lantern.

• Like 1

It's not about acting... at least in the way you're making it out to be. It's about the FEEL of the movie. The original (Good) highlander flick played itself as fairly serious. I mean the Kurgan raped MacLeod's wife and then threatened to do it again for crying out loud. I just worry that Ryan Reynolds will take the role and play it like deadpool or Hannibal so that the entire thing feels more lighthearted.

Basically I'm worried that it'll be a Ryan Reynolds flick dressed as Highlander, not a Highlander flick with Ryan Reynolds.

http://spoonyexperiment.com/2010/12/06/highlander-the-source-review/

http://spoonyexperiment.com/2010/11/01/highlander-endgame-review-part-1/ (has parts 2 and 3)

http://spoonyexperiment.com/2010/05/20/highlander-2-the-quickening-review-part-1/

http://spoonyexperiment.com/2010/05/24/highlander-2-the-sickening-review-part-2/

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

It's not about acting... at least in the way you're making it out to be. It's about the FEEL of the movie. The original (Good) highlander flick played itself as fairly serious. I mean the Kurgan raped MacLeod's wife and then threatened to do it again for crying out loud. I just worry that Ryan Reynolds will take the role and play it like deadpool or Hannibal so that the entire thing feels more lighthearted.

Basically I'm worried that it'll be a Ryan Reynolds flick dressed as Highlander, not a Highlander flick with Ryan Reynolds.

While your worry its reasonable I just need to point out that the original Highlander had long moments of levity, or did you forget Sean Connery's character. The whole training was quite light toned. Not to mention that MacLeod himself had a good sense of humor on this portion of the film.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

I understand that, and that's why I hope that if it is Reynolds, he has a director who can rein him in.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I understand that, and that's why I hope that if it is Reynolds, he has a director who can rein him in.

It should be noted that Reynolds can do serious, and quite well too. See Safe House and Buried.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

I'm confused about how you can seriously be anything but positive about Ryan Reynolds after watching Christopher Lambert in the original. At no point did Lambert ever come close to being a decent actor.

The movie had a nice contrast between the boorish greenhorn immortal and world-weary present-day one. Lambert did well.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

It should be noted that Reynolds can do serious, and quite well too. See Safe House and Buried.

Also look at his character in Smokin' Aces. He played that very straight and non-comedy, in a film that had a lot of..cwaziness. Especially when the ending arrives....

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

The movie had a nice contrast between the boorish greenhorn immortal and world-weary present-day one. Lambert did well.

This post took me by surprise. I don't think I've ever seen anyone speak positively about Christopher Lambert's acting before.

It was the highlight of his career.

Knight Moves, though, wasn't half-bad either. Not to mention he was actually married to Diane Lane at the time, too.

Dang, I even like Fortress and the Hunted.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

And his laugh in Mortal Kombat was a serious contribution to the cinematic art in that film... ;)

The Grey...that movie with Liam Neeson and wolves. The movie was more "serious" in tone than expected, with lots of musing on meaning/purpose of life or something, but still falls into the eyeball-rolling "ludicrous thriller" category.

I love Liam, but lately I'm starting to feel like he's falling into Nicholas Cage territory. Liam's a much better actor than Nick, I just mean in terms of quality of films he chooses. I mean, he took that cameo role in Battleship, of all films, after all. Don't get me wrong, stoic faced angry-action Liam is almost as fun as over-acting/chewing scenery Nick, but....

Is Liam in massive debt now, too? :getlost:

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

And his laugh in Mortal Kombat was a serious contribution to the cinematic art in that film... ;)

Not sure if serious...

But that laugh was what made that scene work.

Which scene, I seem to recall him laughing at least twice in the movie?

Edited by Orogun01
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Not sure if serious...

But that laugh was what made that scene work.

Which scene, I seem to recall him laughing at least twice in the movie?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9wOHJa-GgI

Can't recall the other one.

Starship Troopers: Invasion trailer:

http://filmbuzi.hu/archives/2012/05/29/starship-troopers-invasion-frissiben/

Edited by Oner

There was the "I don't think so" glowing lightning finger and dirty chuckle. I think he managed a few others scattered aroudn the film. But for some totally bizarre reason, they really managed to sell the character of Rayden...

The only good/entertaining (in that fun, campy way) Highlander movie was the first one - for one thing, that silly and illogical "there can be only one" thing can't stand up to sequel scrutiny and never could. I couldn't care less if they make yet another stupid sequel, regardless of who is in it.

I watched the XMen Origins on HBO this morning. For an action superhero movie, it was very boring. I did like seeing the "origins" of some of the characters but yeah...the film itself is slow and dull.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Went to see Prometheus... Unfortunately pretty disappointed all in all. Once I 'come to terms with it', I think I'll still enjoy it as a film but as of now... Pretty disappointed I must say. :/

Oh, is that out now? *scurries to read some reviews from her fave film reviewers*

It came out in theaters in the EU yesterday.

Short verdict from me is that the script is unfortunately pretty bad and the film suffers enormously from it. Not much wrong with the direction, it looks fantastic, the actors do a really good job with what they have. Also felt it was easily the best 3d flick I've seen (not seen many granted), free from gimmicks and using the 3d to great effect to create good depth and scale to some of the enormous shots. Easy on the eyes to watch.

But yeah... disappointed overall. Ridley needs to pick his scripts better I think.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0