Movies you've seen recently

Tale

So I see a woman who appears to be in some state of distress, a tentacle coming out of an arm (or at least out of a suit that's around an arm) and someone with a ruined melted face apparently attacking other crew. Then just big open spaces and ships. From my pov of knowing nothing, not exactly a spoiler. If anything, it tells me almost nothing except that it's a threat in space movie that looks to be a bit more cerebral than most.

I really wish I could be excited for this movie. I respect/admire Ridley Scott, but I also know he's made (imo) a few pretty big clunkers. eg, no one's perfect. I hope this doesn't become his SW prequel.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Prometheus looks great. Maybe I saw a different trailer, but I didn't learn much about the plot from it. Granted I also only have a cursory knowledge of the Aliens universe.

I watched "John Carter". While it was enjoyable, I think it needed to be a bit shorter. I really enjoyed the premise and it is a shame we will not get to see a sequel that gets deeper into the lore. I guess I can read the books. It's a shame they couldn't make this flick with a reasonable budget. I also wasn't blown away by the acting, it was decent but they really needed someone to shine.

Re-watched the director's cut of King of Heaven.

It's a good film but I think there are a number of things that keep it from really being excellent. Some characters, most notably Guy de Lusignan and Reynald something something, are just set up way too much as the villains. Guy in particular is just overtly evil, way too much of a moustache twirler. In contrast, Balian feels way too much like the classicaction-hero. These characters in particular could've really used some... well, I guess more grey overall.

It works better in the overall conflict between the Christians and the Muslims, where both sides feel humanized and the film doesn't push you to care for one or the other. The guy who plays Saladin is especially excellent.

And of course, it is a visually great movie. It's like watching a constant stream of beautiful paintings. The soundtrack is also excellent.

It's a good film, especially in the visual sense. But I could've done without the overtly good/evil characters.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

Re-watched the director's cut of King of Heaven.

It's a good film but I think there are a number of things that keep it from really being excellent. Some characters, most notably Guy de Lusignan and Reynald something something, are just set up way too much as the villains. Guy in particular is just overtly evil, way too much of a moustache twirler. In contrast, Balian feels way too much like the classicaction-hero. These characters in particular could've really used some... well, I guess more grey overall.

It works better in the overall conflict between the Christians and the Muslims, where both sides feel humanized and the film doesn't push you to care for one or the other. The guy who plays Saladin is especially excellent.

And of course, it is a visually great movie. It's like watching a constant stream of beautiful paintings. The soundtrack is also excellent.

It's a good film, especially in the visual sense. But I could've done without the overtly good/evil characters.

Valid points but the main themes would had been somewhat sullied. If the main character wasn't a perfectly righteous man then there is no dream of Jerusalem, there is no real search for redemption, and many of the interactions with him change context.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Yeah. I guess the character itself actually isn't that bad in retrospect, he even kills his half-brother. But I dunno, I think his seeking redemption gets somewhat lost in the film. It doesn't feel genuine enough, he should've been more haunted, more broken. I don't really feel his plight.

And part of that may just be that it's a character that just looks *fabulous* no matter what the situation. Even if he's covered in dirt, he always looks oh-so-heroic and beautiful. I think it drags the film down overall. It's obviously a *very* stylized look at that period of time, it's just that the more "hollywood feeling" parts of the film doesn't really do the film any services.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

I watched a few flicks this weekend.

Cedar Rapids - Pretty hilarious film about a very naive guy from a small town making his first trip to the city. The characters were really good, I enjoyed it.

Hannah - Interesting film about an assassin girl. There was one big plot element that bothered me, but as an action flick it was very well done.

Rango.

Animation looked great. Nods to old Westerns were welcome. But neither funny or interesting. It was so lifeless that I fell asleep at about the 3/4 point, so maybe the end made it better. Not going back to find out.

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

• 2 weeks later...

For the quirky interest route..

The "mood" trailer that's being shipped around studios to develop interest in adapting Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn books to film has been leaked and turned up on the internet.

They've edited chunks from a whole bunch of films, then given the "movie text" to add story info and it's actually quite weird how well they've captured the whole feel of the story...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0TOVHEnfe0

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Never read those books, but the "trailer" is fascinating to try and recognize what films all the pieces came from. :lol:

Hannah - Interesting film about an assassin girl. There was one big plot element that bothered me, but as an action flick it was very well done.

For it being an attempt at a cross spy/fairy tale it felt very stale. There is a reason that fairy tales are short, they really can't fill a full book and this movie just drags on with tedium.

I will grant that there were a few interesting scenes, namely the ones involving the german assassins and I will admit that i'm biased against the director's particular style. His films come off like tedious and catatonic to me.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

That trailer would work, I guess, if I hadn't already seen all movies whose scenes they blatantly rip off. So I am very angry about this abomination.

Apparently it's not that unusual to do when you have a small group trying to get studios interest in a story. Edit together something like that so you can have a very visual hook of the "style/feel" of what the prospective film is to be like..

• Like 1

Apparently it's not that unusual to do when you have a small group trying to get studios interest in a story. Edit together something like that so you can have a very visual hook of the "style/feel" of what the prospective film is to be like..

Yeah...not that atypical at all these days. No different, really, than pitching something verbally using other shows as examples (ala "It'll be like Wagon Train to the stars!"). Easier these days to give a visual impression on a no to low budget. Altho, I'd consider it likely they'd have some rough art drawings and maybe partial storyboards to go along with the video too.

Yeah...not that atypical at all these days. No different, really, than pitching something verbally using other shows as examples (ala "It'll be like Wagon Train to the stars!"). Easier these days to give a visual impression on a no to low budget. Altho, I'd consider it likely they'd have some rough art drawings and maybe partial storyboards to go along with the video too.

But can anything beat Joss Whedon's approach of "Cowboys and Hookers.. In Space!"? :shifty:

Been seeing a few Ridley Scott films in anticipation of Prometheus. Kingdom of Heaven earlier, The Duellists, Alien, Blade Runner, Hannibal the last few days and then American Gangster yesterday. Body of Lies later today.

Really hope The Duellists will get a blu-ray release. It is such a beautiful film. Ridley's work varies a lot but you can be sure it will always be visually good at least.

American Gangster is really excellent, one of his best in my opinion. I typically like his earlier stuff more but American Gangster ranks up there with the best of them I think.