Movies you've seen recently

Tale

I think part of the trouble is that when you get down to it, it's an odd niche film.

Its not grand sci-fi or fantasy. It's not a hard core drama or action. They haven't released it as a "summer blockbuster", and frankly none of the advertising I've seen for it have really nailed down what sort of story it is.

If I hadn't read the original books, I'm not sure I'd have known what to make of the trailers.

As it is, pulpy adventure sci-fi is a bit of an odd duck...

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

I read that it's doing surprisingly well in the overseas markets. Probably still won't make a profit but it may eventually break even after DVD and TV.... 250 million to make and another 100 mil on marketing

For what it's worth, I enjoyed it

• Like 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

Still trying to figure out why it cost so much. Not the actors since there's really no superstars in the film that would warrant paying them $20mil+. The action scenes/set pieces don't look to be any more expensive than other high profile movies.

Yeah, it's sad that a movie that made $30mil in its first weekend is actually being referred to as a 'bomb. I find that ridiculous. I don't see it as a bomb just a victim of overspending.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Yeah, it's sad that a movie that made $30mil in its first weekend is actually being referred to as a 'bomb. I find that ridiculous. I don't see it as a bomb just a victim of overspending.

And at that, it was the second highest earner of the weekend. But apparently, they were expecting it to pull in around $38.9 mill.. So the fact that it came it at just the $30 mill mark is apparently a severe failure..

Which makes me go "Huh??"

It looks to be set up for failure, but if the word of mouth continues and it keeps getting a strong international showing, it might be able to pull off a profit.

I think there was an expectation that it could be the next Avatar, but the difference is James Cameron is known for these big budget successes while this director is known more for big animated films. That being said, the guy who did the Incredibles did a fantastic job with Mission Impossible, so it shouldn't be that surprising that an animated director can make the jump to live action.

I don't remember where, but I read that the studios usually get a 15% return on foreign box office receipts.

I may be in the minority, but I actually liked John Carter better than Avatar. I found Avatar visually stunning but boring as ****, especially with its bloated running time.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

What you're all forgetting is that the studio doesn't take in the entire gross reported. They split it with the theaters. So if we say that budget+marketing=$350-400 million and the theaters take approx. half of that, basically Disney needed it to be a $800million+ (worldwide) theatrical movie. So far, the last numbers I saw were it was hitting approx. $100million (worldwide). Now as mentioned, with DVD sales later, it's possible it won't be a total "bust" in the end, but of course it's not what Disney/a studio wanted to see at all.

If Disney thinks the film had good enough response (review/audience scores wise etc), as it may have, they may still make a sequel, but I bet it won't have such a high budget. Hahaha.

Their mistake, marketing wise, was to seemingly assume "everyone" would know who the heck John Carter is. I sure don't. Plus, the ads I saw on TV make it look like nothing more than, oh, say, another "Scorpion King" type movie combined with Star Wars prequels fantasy, which is a total zzzz of an impression. I still have no interest in seeing it, tbh. I'm tired of action movies with shirtless muscled dudes flexing their biceps as they perform wild action sequences surrounded by huge CGI armies. Or whatever.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Their mistake, marketing wise, was to seemingly assume "everyone" would know who the heck John Carter is. I sure don't.

That's why I say it's kind of a niche genre thing. John Carter of Mars was created by the same man who brought us Tarzan. Edgar Rice Burroughs. And it's pretty much pulp sci-fi , written back in that 1910-1920's era.

It is odd that they even allowed the budget for John Carter to get so crazy. It was actually a big controversy when James Cameron spent a ton on Titanic, and movies like the Pirates of the Caribbean are expensive, but I don't think the original was so costly.

It is odd that they even allowed the budget for John Carter to get so crazy. It was actually a big controversy when James Cameron spent a ton on Titanic, and movies like the Pirates of the Caribbean are expensive, but I don't think the original was so costly.

Cameron is half-expected to be a big spender tho. (Abyss, T2, etc). He's notorious for it. heh

According to wiki, PotC1 was made for $140 million & had a worldwide gross of over $650million, and PotC $225million and over 1 billion. So yeah, it's more typical to spend less on the 1st one, and if it's a hit, then you go big with the 2nd. Don't know what Disney was thinking.

And, uh...haven't seen any movies this week, but The Walking Dead's last episode was great, and the season ender next week looks to be a fun one. Which is nice, since most of the 2nd season was so slow & tedious.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Season finale of Walking Dead kicked butt. Reminds me of last season of Breaking Bad, where it was slow and plodding for so long and then suddenly it exploded into awesomeness the last 3-4 episodes. Not quite the B.Bad level of awesome, but still awesome.

Went from "meh, might stop watching" to "Can't wait for Season3!"

Adventures of Tintin. Loved it. That is all.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Saw John Carter (of Mars) again this weekend. Enjoyed it again. Such a fun film that really captures the early Planetary Romance feel.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Well Dejah Thoris is wearing clothes so there is some departure from the book series (I guess whether that's good or bad is in the eye of the beholder).

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

They've mashed up the books, John Carter has seriously mad jumping skills, the Therns have super-tech , the City-States are kind of split between two instead of a bunch..

But damn, it catches the spirit of the whole thing. That, and it's just generally fun. It's not too serious, it's not too silly, it has pulpy sci-fi planetary romance swashbuckleryness.

IIRC they specifically mashed up A PRINCESS OF MARS and GODS OF MARS (I read the first three books - which would add WARLORD OF MARS) decades ago so I can't really remember the specifics other than a lot of the Thern stuff comes from GODS and spices up the Princess plot (but leaves out the stuff about Issus, where the Therns live of the "Black Martians").

But agreed it matched my memory of the spirit of the novels if not actually being a literal, page for page adaption.

Well Dejah Thoris is wearing clothes so there is some departure from the book series (I guess whether that's good or bad is in the eye of the beholder).

It's a bit like an unbuffed Arnold, although I don't see a big budget Hollywood production with nudity featuring prominently. Aestethically it's a shame though.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.