Movies you've seen recently

Tale

Just saw Prometheus, and I enjoyed it a lot despite the silly story and logical fallacies. I'd call it an action-comedy of sorts.

Imho, the first Alien-movie is on a whole different level.

Edited by Junai

Caught Coriolanus at a local showing, I've never seen the play, but it was a great film.

I'm tempted to see that, might look a bit weird with guys speaking Shakespearean English while brandishing M4s, but still.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Have been sleeping on The Borgias, it's at least as good as Game of Thrones but with better costumes. Glad I started watching it again.

Has Ezio Auditore shown up and gotten into a slap fight with Rodrigo?

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Prometheus.

That was some weird s.hit. Reminded me a bit of the recent reboot (actually prequel, but it was more or less the same movie sceene for screene) of The Thing. It didn't get the psychological drama constituent right either. Prometheus had a lot of very talented very expensive actors who just never really got to strut their thing. The directors cut might be better.

You should still go see this thing though, it's not boring.

• Like 1

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

Aren't Ridley Scott directors cuts always better? You would think the studios would figure that out by now and just let him release the DC into theaters. The Kingdom of Heaven DC would have been a best picture contender.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

He has said that the version up on the big screen is basically the director's cut for Prometheus. Though of course, he might've said to make people go see it and/or change his mind later on, who knows?

But it would take a *lot* of changes to make the script cohesive, there are just too many things that are fundamentally stupid.

But yeah, hopefully a director's cut could at least make it better. We'll see.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

I don't think there were that many glaring plot holes.

The hologram thing seemed a cheap move to be able to tell some backstory more easily. Why would they randomly broadcast their doings after all. Just have them find a datavault instead.

The biggest thing was why the professor woman, I forget the name, decided to go chasing off after the Engineers. They didn't establish that well enough with the result that it just seemed like a really stupid move on her part. If earth is in imminent danger why be vauge in your message, is that going to stop someone comming for a look ?

Also, how could they not know that they were in a spaceship. What kind of space ship is comprised almost entirely of empthy dirt walls anyway. And the clay pots. Who transports biological weapons in clay pots with no lid on. Yeah ok so there were quite a lot of plot holes.

Edited by Gorgon

Na na  na na  na na  ...

That is all.

About Prometheus:

A main thing that I really dislike about the movie is the complete lack of reaction to any significant events.

-Like why the hell would the captain be *laughing* at the two guys stranded down in an Alien structure on a foreign planet?

-Why the hell does the biologist guy actually go the whole cliche of going "omg, but it's so pretty!" to the alien tentacle creature, especially when it freaking hisses threateningly to him?

-Scientist boyfriend guy gets emo about the creators not being alive when they've found possibly one of the greatest discoveries ever in mankind. I mean come on.

-Why does noone seem to chase down Dr Shaw after she beats down two of the crew?!

-How the hell is she able to jog, run, jump etc after being freaking stapled together after a Cesarian?! It's not even future omg laser technology or something, she is just stapled together after the operation.

-Why does noone react afterwards to her condition, nor the fact that there is now an alien lifeform facehugger squid thing onboard the spacecraft?!

-For a science team comprised of professional people on an extremely important and delicate mission, they act *completely* unprofessional a lot of the time.

There are *so* many of these nagging little things in the movie, as well as sort of generally lame writing devides like Weyland being alive still and being on the ship. Or the completely lame "sacrifice scene" towards the end... Apparently I'm supposed to care about these people who have literally *no* character development whatsoever?

Alien worked well at the length it played because the story is very straightfoward and simple in a sense. Everything was given a chance to breathe, the characters could react properly to the horrible events that transpired, and the main thing after that was survival. Given how Prometheus tries to do so much more with its plot (horror as well as rather heavy overarching themes of belief and creation of mankind), a lot of threads are just left dangling unsatisfactorily. I think the script is screwed up on a pretty fundamental level, but even with that in mind it could've really done with being a longer film overall if it meant having the characters actually be... characters.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

Stop insulting a movie I want to be the second coming! If I come out of that theatre with a dose of reality instead of my blissful delusions, I'll be very sad.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Also watched Prometheus a couple of days ago. It falls in the category of films that would greatly benefit from additional 30-40 minutes of more narration to give some depth to the characters and the whole scene - even if those additional minutes would make it somewhat ponderous. As it was, it was generally pretty thin - if still beautiful.

Edited by Undecaf

Perkele, tiädäksää tuanoini!

"It's easier to tolerate idiots if you do not consider them as stupid people, but exceptionally gifted monkeys."

Stop insulting a movie I want to be the second coming! If I come out of that theatre with a dose of reality instead of my blissful delusions, I'll be very sad.

I was in the same boat prior to watching it, believe me. :p That said, it has gotten good reviews afaik so perhaps you'll enjoy it more.

A main thing that I really dislike about the movie is the complete lack of reaction to any significant events. Like why the hell would the captain be *laughing* at the two guys stranded down in an Alien structure on a foreign planet?&--#60;/em&--#62;&--#60;At the time there is no percieved danger other than the storm.&--#60;br&--#62;&--#60;/p&--#62;&--#60;p&--#62;&--#60;br&--#62;&--#60;/p&--#62;&--#60;p&--#62;&--#60;em&--#62;Why does noone seem to chase down Dr Shaw after she beats down two of the crew?!&--#60;br&--#62;&--#60;/em&--#62;&--#60;/p&--#62;&--#60;p&--#62;&--#60;br&--#62;&--#60;/p&--#62;&--#60;p&--#62;&--#60;br&--#62;&--#60;/p&--#62;&--#60;p&--#62;She knows or suspects her employers are completely ruthless by now, so she's playing along. Not making any waves. She hit the purge button on the autodoc after she got out. As far as she knows the squid is dead. As for her condition, people have been up and about with much worse injuries, especially in movies, but there is something odd about how she acts like nothing is out of the ordinary. She should have attempted to make allies, with the captain for instance. &--#60;br&--#62;&--#60;/p&--#62;&--#60;p&--#62;&--#60;br&--#62;&--#60;/p&--#62;&--#60;p&--#62;After her husband is flambe

Edited by Gorgon

Na na  na na  na na  ...

That is all.

It looks like HTML tags that aren't supported. Most of that garbage is just code for signs. it's br and p tags.

Saw Prometheus at midnight. And I'm exhausted today. I really liked it. It wasn't the second coming I'd hope for, but it was still good.

Two things I really want to say about the movie.

I prefer to think that one of the things many of us enjoy about the Alien movies is the mystery. The little irrelevant details that we do not have, that help to make the creatures interesting. Where are they from? What are they really? Just how smart are they?

Prometheus answers some of these questions and, as one would hope, introduces new mysteries so as to not deprive us of our imagination. However, the new questions are less existential and more inconsistent. What made the Engineers change their minds? Why are the strains different? What is the connection between LV-223 and LV-426? There is a mystery here, but it has become less a background detail and is now instead essential to making sense of the mythos.

That first question of why they changed their minds is a stated question of one of the main characters of this film. It is an important question of motivation that even the characters understand the relevance of and we are left without so much as a hint. If there were to be a sequel, Prometheus leaves us to believe that question would be the central premise. But I'm not aware that Ridley Scott is big on following up and creating sequels in that fashion.

Secondly, if there is one thing I can really speak negatively about on this film, it is that it did not seem sure of what it wanted to be. Much of the film concerns itself with philosophy. I believe because I choose to believe and why are we here are themes brought up at various points. Even the final question of "why did they change their mind" is an extension of the question of why we exist.

However, these themes ultimately get sidelined by the creature feature horror of the film. This movie is clearly not an Alien film, but at the same time it seemed sadly bound to try to be a close cousin. Alien itself was a very dark movie, not just thematically, but visually. Its subdued lighting and low tech all seemed to enhance the claustrophobia and tension of the film. Prometheus flirts with these ideas at times, the internal of the mound and the Engineer ship are both relatively dark. But they, and the rest of the sets, all have significant moments of majesty and wonder. The shot of Prometheus descending into the atsmophere or the Engineer's starmap are so beautiful that I am at those moments filled with a sense of discovery and hope for unexplored frontiers.

The tragedy of this film's mixing of wonder and tension is that it fails to leave you with either. The tone of the film is largely undecided, even by the time of its eventual denouement.

I guess I'll give in and see the movie like you cool people.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I've decided that David is one of my new favorite characters in fiction.

And villains. In my interpretation of the movie, he was trying to get everyone killed but Elisabeth.

• Like 1

Saw "Chronicle." Considering the good things I'd heard about it, I was prepared to be disappointed. But I liked it a lot. Not perfect, nothing ever is (eg, it was fairly predictable)....but for the type of film, it was pretty cool. I liked the understated aspect to most of the film, relative to big Hollywood flash in most pictures these days. I even felt a bit bad for the older cousin guy at the end.

Anyway....thumbs up. Also, I'd love to be able to fly. ;)

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts