Movies you've seen recently

Tale

Previously on MYSR

Liam Neeson has had an awkward career and the Russians and Danes like to share movie titles.

Anyone seen Troll Hunter? The local blockbuster doesn't carry it and asking them about it just got me sidelined into renting Attack The Block.

• Like 3
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Previously on MYSR

Liam Neeson has had an awkward career and the Russians and Danes like to share movie titles.

Anyone seen Troll Hunter? The local blockbuster doesn't carry it and asking them about it just got me sidelined into renting Attack The Block.

It's on Netflix streaming and it keeps coming up on my recommendations, but it looks terrible.

I watched Role Models on cable, it's a pretty hilarious comedy.

I saw Troll Hunter a couple of months ago, and I loved it! I did'nt see it alone though, but with friends, and we all loved it and got each others riled up, or how you put it.

You do get some insight into Vo... No, to obvious. :p

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Lars and the Real Girl

It's a little simplistic, but basically heartwarming and not too challenging. I rate it because it was nice without being too saccharine.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

The Thing (2011 prequel). Pretty good, I liked it actually more than Carpenters original (even if it lacks magical Kurt Russel), and while I thought the "shock" effects were cheap and the creature design not very striking (it wasn't in the Original either), the interaction and distrust between the characters were more nuanced and less transparent this time and overall it was a worthwhile watch that played out in the way so it would directly connect to the 1982 Original. Poor dog.

The Thing (2011 prequel). Pretty good, I liked it actually more than Carpenters original (even if it lacks magical Kurt Russel), and while I thought the "shock" effects were cheap and the creature design not very striking (it wasn't in the Original either), the interaction and distrust between the characters were more nuanced and less transparent this time and overall it was a worthwhile watch that played out in the way so it would directly connect to the 1982 Original. Poor dog.

Yeah I liked The Thing pretty well. Although I think The Thing was maybe a bit better, The Thing was a pretty good prequel to The Thing and it sets up possibilities for further stories (hopefully all called The Thing). I also felt The Thing captured the fighting spirit of The Thing From Another World better than The Thing which was more about paranoia than fighting a monster.

Super 8, better than I expected. Fun popcorn monster flick.

It reminded me a bit of a monster film crossed with The Goonies. It was fun.

Edited by Amentep

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Yeah I liked The Thing pretty well. Although I think The Thing was maybe a bit better, The Thing was a pretty good prequel to The Thing and it sets up possibilities for further stories (hopefully all called The Thing). I also felt The Thing captured the fighting spirit of The Thing From Another World better than The Thing which was more about paranoia than fighting a monster.

Dude, you rather would have named them the movie "The Thing: Begins" or something?

Dude, you rather would have named them the movie "The Thing: Begins" or something?

Calling two movies about a creature that takes over people and becomes virtually indistinguishable from the original by the same name is soooo metatextual though! :lol:

Edited by Amentep

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Hey Amenstep, how about you take a little walk outside or something?

Can we discuss here the movie maybe instead of the name of it?

Err...I'm not sure if you're serious or not but my first post WAS about the movie. My second post is kinda about the movie too. :(

As I mentioned I liked the prequel. I think - as I mentioned it really mirrors the base under seige feel of the original movie adaption of 'Who Goes There' - The Thing from Another World, The Thing (2011) makes sense to be more action oriented than the other version of The Thing which was more paranoid driven and less about action but picking off the characters one by one. But it also dovetails nicely into the earlier film while also establishing enough details that they could do a sequel that happens after the events of the existing films.

She was good; I was afraid she'd feel too modern but she fit in - I liked all of the actors though and the fact that they didn't have everyone speak english.

I do think there are a couple of bits that don't match up - I'd heard there were reshoots and I think that's why.

Watched Oldboy. Wtf? A crazy movie, I tell ya.

Is that Wong Kar Wai?

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

If you liked it you should check the rest of the trilogy. Sympathy for MR. Vengeance was better IMO.

• Like 1
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

If you liked it you should check the rest of the trilogy. Sympathy for MR. Vengeance was better IMO.

Cool! Will see if I can find them. Old Boy might have been twisted, but I'll be damned if I didn't like it.

Daywatch. Significant improvement over Nightwatch. But I will hold it as evidence that not all happy endings are good endings.

Troll Hunter. I enjoyed it. I didn't feel tense or scared, but it was a fun watch.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Just saw the finale for Boardwalk Empire. Wow. Can't wait to see what they have in store for Season 3.

That ending, although expected still made my skin crawl. Shame though I really liked that character.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif