Yes, saw it too in the Feargus interview. Looks cool-- like the show. I just wonder how movement will feel. I still can't imagine an rpg with that... only point&click adventure. :>

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Not surprising. McMurry has been around the forums a lot these last days. :)

What can I say, it's interesting to see peoples reaction to the news. :)

I see my incredible elaborate plan of making a comment worked. :lol:

We just need to be more cunning to get these devs to talk to us on the forums. :shifty:

what about mother/earthbound?

that game is basically south park the rpg, minus the crass humor, plus tons of heart.

(ie its about 4 normal kids who uses yo-yo's and baseball bats etc to ward off weird goings on after a ufo crashes in their small town, they get money from their parents to buy new gear from the local stores, fight neighborhood bullies, deal with new threats like ghosts and zombies, learn magic from an alien, etc etc)

is it a pc game? am guessing it is probable a handheld or somesuch. very limited depth, no? gonna satisfy a western crpg gamer who has played other obsidian titles such as kotor 2 and motb?

you and your three cartoon pals wander 'round a small town in colorado and do... what exactly? silly stuff, right? is a ridiculous starting point from which to build a robust western crpg.

HA! Good Fun!

i play western crpgs, fallout is my favorite. I loved mother/earthbound. Why does the genre of game matter?

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

I don't see how this can even work. South Park is only South Park because it takes current events, something that's hot right now, and makes fun of that. With the game, the events could be 1-2 year old, last years news, boooring.

If you look at the picture from the article (the reflection in the water) more closely, it looks like the kids will find themselves in a kind of "fantasy land" and would be a story about that, is my best guess.

Which would work perfectly.

So it's a generic adventure game with South Park characters, got it.

I really love the show, and Obsidians games have not been bad either, so if it could work I'd probably buy it, but this one puzzles me.

South Park is all about comedy, and spesifically comedy about current events. RPG's are about a freedom of choice and delivering compelling story. To make comedy work you need to have control over timing and delivery, funny lines are not funny if they're out of place. To make RPG work the player needs to be able to (at some degree) chooce the way the story unfolds. Putting those two together does not compute.

Take for example one of my all time favourite episdoes, Whale Whores:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQ5_f3vO5EQ

How on earth could you accomplish anything remotely close to that in a RPG, the characters are just by standers and the comedy happens DESPITE of them.

This platonic ideal of RPGs seems to conflict with some of the biggest modern RPGs.

I mean, Dues Ex is a linear story. You can skip a few side-quests and you can choose how to get from point A to point B, but you're still going to go from point A to point B and events will always unfold the same way.

For example, if the story were that a group of aliens arrived in South Park and banned video games because they're too violent, and the boys had to fight off the evil aliens, there's plenty of room there for jokes about how banning stuff is stupid as you progress through the main story. You'll have well-known characters pop up to sprinkle in their signature jokes "Microwaving people with your evil alien rays is bad, mmmkay?" plus lots of ambient dialogue with jokes about erections/gay sex/poop/Mormons.

Edited by Maria Caliban

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

I'm not sure I understand the whole "RPG/fighting/fantasy doesn't fit South Park" (yeah, I'm simplifying and conflating together different gripes from different people, so yeah, I'm probably missing some nuances from some posts here, but this is an issue that crops up in other places, not only on the Obsidz forums) when actually those are themes that have been touched in plenty of episodes. There have been entire episodes dedicated to the boys suddenly ending up in the realm of imagination and fighting alongside Gandalf, Jesus, etc. , and I don't see any reason to believe this game will be different in that respect. I mean, I obviously don't know whether it will work mechanic-wise and how well the game will come out, that depends on Obsidian, but I'm fairly sure it'll be true to the source material considering how involved the license holders are (they basically approached Feargus and his minions themselves and are working hand in hand with them).

That said, while I can see something good coming out of this, I can't say I'm personally excited, because I appreciate Obsidian mostly for their slightly less pulpy and more intricate writing and their attention to quest design/C&C/etc. (which doesn't always provide good results, mind you, but always pique my interest), and this doesn't really sound like a project where they'll push that. Hope I'll be wrong though.

I got my Game Informer yesterday. Saw the cover and had to skip right to the article.

Obsidian making a South Park RPG, that Parker & Stone are fully involved with AND writing!?

WOOHOO!

I absolutely love SP and I super enjoyed New Vegas and had a wonderful time playing Alpha Protocol. The game is in 2D and looks and plays to exactly resemble the show? Im SOLD!

Fire And Blood

That said, while I can see something good coming out of this, I can't say I'm personally excited, because I appreciate Obsidian mostly for their slightly less pulpy and more intricate writing and their attention to quest design/C&C/etc. (which doesn't always provide good results, mind you, but always pique my interest), and this doesn't really sound like a project where they'll push that. Hope I'll be wrong though.

The "kid factions" comment makes me hopeful there.

what about mother/earthbound?

that game is basically south park the rpg, minus the crass humor, plus tons of heart.

(ie its about 4 normal kids who uses yo-yo's and baseball bats etc to ward off weird goings on after a ufo crashes in their small town, they get money from their parents to buy new gear from the local stores, fight neighborhood bullies, deal with new threats like ghosts and zombies, learn magic from an alien, etc etc)

is it a pc game? am guessing it is probable a handheld or somesuch. very limited depth, no? gonna satisfy a western crpg gamer who has played other obsidian titles such as kotor 2 and motb?

you and your three cartoon pals wander 'round a small town in colorado and do... what exactly? silly stuff, right? is a ridiculous starting point from which to build a robust western crpg.

HA! Good Fun!

i play western crpgs, fallout is my favorite. I loved mother/earthbound. Why does the genre of game matter?

genre? who said anything 'bout genre? we mentions the platform. old consoles and handhelds could be offering fun gameplay, but that gameplay were necessarily limited.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Or androgynous, super-powered boys with spikey hair and swords as tall as I am?

With built-in guns and motorized blades ?

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra