I'm unsure what BioWare has to do with the topic by the way.

obsidian has some o' the codexian need to inject why-bioware-sux into every thread that exceeds some vague critical mass. oddly enough, at bioware every thread that continues for at least 20 pages eventually gets a ghey romance mention. am gonna leave it up to you to decide which fanbase is more wacky.

HA! Good Fun!

Well, we got lust on the bioware boards, and a combination of pride and envy on Obsid. Let's hope we don't get a John Doe to clean house.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Slowtrain, Deadliest Catch: The Game sounds phenomenal. Seriously, I could see that being a fantastic sim/adventure/RPG. There are quite a few ways they could do that game and make it epic, too. You could even have an awesome multiplayer aspect.

I think I need to lobby for that to be Obsidian's next project.

Slowtrain, Deadliest Catch: The Game sounds phenomenal. Seriously, I could see that being a fantastic sim/adventure/RPG. There are quite a few ways they could do that game and make it epic, too. You could even have an awesome multiplayer aspect.

I have to agree that between a south park game and a deadliest catch game, I'd buy the latter any day of the week.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

"Nothing really, I just made a comment how Obsidian has more diversity in the settings than other companies "

Youa re simply wrong. Obsidian's portofilio is just very concentrated on one area. In fact, S:RPG is probably the only game of theirs that got them to step out of their comfort zone if even a little bit. BIO, on the other hand, has a huge portofilio that covers a host of various things. And, yeah, MDK2 and SS do count. S:RPG count. The MMO count. The social games count.

You come back to me when obsdiian goes from medical software to RTS to RT RPG to TB RPG to MMO to MP /toolset focused to social games and on, and on. What has Obsidian done? Same game repeatedly.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

post-378-1323125118_thumb.jpg

$29.99 at Target.

Genre: Hunting.

Enjoy!

Edited by Slowtrain
Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

you could say the same o' any game based on any franchise.

Of course. I'm not applying any different standards to this than I would anything else. Make it a compelling game than stands on its own regardless of source.

If its going to rely on trotting out SOuth Park memes and fart jokes to get its sales then not much I can say. SOuth Park fans will buy it. Same as any of these sorts of games.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

still no takers?

mario rpg games?

they are good.

they are turn based.

they are funny.

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Now you HAVE to buy deadliest catch or look foolish.

Heh, not quite. I'm talking about an Obsidian developed version (or really any good developer.) Not to knock whatever no name studio made that game, but I'm guessing it is a standard waste of an IP. We get them with everything.

It sparked my curiousity, here is the mission statement for Crave Games:

Mission

Crave Games is a boutique publisher that provides accessible, affordable and premium content to the broadest spectrum of consumers on all relevant platforms.

- a company that people want to do business with -

Edited by Hurlshot

Deadliest Catch: RPG would be just awesome. I want to start as a greenhorn on some baaaaaaaaaad ship and make my way to the top! It could have skill like baiting, balance and stamina (it effects how well you cope with sleep deprivation). Make it happen!

Hate the living, love the dead.

still no takers?

mario rpg games?

they are good.

they are turn based.

they are funny.

Are they on PC?

the recent ones have mostly been on handhelds (nintendo ds), there was one on the gamecube, and of course the original on the snes.

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Or you could just make a game about crabbing in the bering sea that stands on its own without the need to mention a tv series.

It's what jm mentioned in his post, too often the ip of these popular shows become a crutch that subsitutes for actual solid and compelling gameplay.

Is Obs going to go that direction? Or make a game that actually stands on its own with the gameplay.

*shrug*

I don't know.

Deadliest Catch: The Game sounds phenomenal.

The funny thing is that I thought the same thing, and I'm not even joking. It would also mean that they would have to make an RPG where your only way of advancing your character and improving your skills did not mean killing other people.

Open world, centred around a small Canadian fishing village, with drama and romances and fishing and beautiful vistas. Gain experience by hauling bigger and better fish, upgrade your boat and your crew, combat deadly weather and explore the sea to find the good spots. The village could be almost adventure like, with relationship based 'quests'.

I think it could be a fantastic game.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

making the mechanics "fun" would be hard to do I'd wager.

still no takers?

mario rpg games?

they are good.

they are turn based.

they are funny.

am gonna go out on a limb and guess that the core gameplay o' the mario crpg involves combat. the only mario game we has ever played is donkey kong-- arcade version back in early 80's. is not hard to imagine a mario crpg in which a character (or group o' characters) fights there way through mobs of... whatever. is not the funny that makes south park game improbable. we got no difficulty imagining core gameplay o' a mario crpg. same may not be said o' south park.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

what about mother/earthbound?

that game is basically south park the rpg, minus the crass humor, plus tons of heart.

(ie its about 4 normal kids who uses yo-yo's and baseball bats etc to ward off weird goings on after a ufo crashes in their small town, they get money from their parents to buy new gear from the local stores, fight neighborhood bullies, deal with new threats like ghosts and zombies, learn magic from an alien, etc etc)

Edited by entrerix

what about mother/earthbound?

that game is basically south park the rpg, minus the crass humor, plus tons of heart.

(ie its about 4 normal kids who uses yo-yo's and baseball bats etc to ward off weird goings on after a ufo crashes in their small town, they get money from their parents to buy new gear from the local stores, fight neighborhood bullies, deal with new threats like ghosts and zombies, learn magic from an alien, etc etc)

is it a pc game? am guessing it is probable a handheld or somesuch. very limited depth, no? gonna satisfy a western crpg gamer who has played other obsidian titles such as kotor 2 and motb?

you and your three cartoon pals wander 'round a small town in colorado and do... what exactly? silly stuff, right? is a ridiculous starting point from which to build a robust western crpg.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

it's an old console game, that's been included in the best games of all times lists so many times, I hate myself for not having played it when i could have

Edited by sorophx
Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

it's an old console game, that's been included in the best games of all times lists so many times, I hate myself for not having played it when i could have

ah. that explains. not much difference 'tween handhelds and oldie consoles.

HA! Good Fun!

Hi, JM!

HELLO OLD FRIEND

Doesn't all this talk about the Deadliest Catch just make you want to design an ASCII Alaskan fishing roguelike?

*   ^^VV^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^0000   *	you caught   *
*   ^^VVV^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^000   *	*LOBSTER!*   *
*   ^^^VVV^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^00   *				 *
*   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^000   *   +1 FISHING	*
*   ^^^^^^^^^^^_[[ ]_/_^^^0   *				 *
*   ^^^^^^^^^^^\______/^^^^   *		 (<  (<  *
*   ^^^00^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^   *   ,'	/`99/`  *
*   ^^0000^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^   *   >']]::(,.)	*
*   ^^^00^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^   *   `'///\\\	  *
*   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^   *				 *
*   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^   * FISHING: 76,352 *

The only stat is fishing, every screen is ocean, the currency is fish and the only thing you need to buy with it is more whiskey.

Primary enemies will be overexposure, liver failure, and the Kraken. Look for it on kickstarter soon.

A dull boy.