I take it no one else here played the mario rpg games?

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

None. The choice is completely understandable, especially given the current economic climate. I'm sure everyone who works for Obnsidian is thrilled. Everyone likes their paychecks at the end of the day.

Yes, I'm sure thats why all the people who DON'T WORK FOR OBSIDIAN ANYMORE. Are thrilled with this game.

Positive Reception so far from Ex-Obs guys (and girl) I know

-Anthony Davis

-Jean Eric-Khalife

-Tess Treadwell

-John Gonzalez

Yes, I'm absolutly sure they are thrilled by their non-existant pay-checks.

Totally....

NO

You could say the same bull... about EVERY Obsidian Game so far. They were ALL partly made because of money.

Of course, you can just keep deluding yourself....

Edited by C2B

None. The choice is completely understandable, especially given the current economic climate. I'm sure everyone who works for Obnsidian is thrilled. Everyone likes their paychecks at the end of the day.

Yes, I'm sure thats why all the people who DON'T WORK FOR OBSIDIAN ANYMORE. Are thrilled with this game.

Positive Reception so far from Ex-Obs guys (and girl) I know

-Anthony Davis

-Jean Eric-Khalife

-Tess Treadwell

-John Gonzalez

Yes, I'm absolutly sure they are thrilled by their non-existant pay-checks.

Totally....

NO

You could say the same bull... about EVERY Obsidian Game so far. They were ALL partly made because of money.

Of course, you can just keep deluding yourself....

eh?

I'm not even being particularly critical.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Jeeze... people don't even know how it's going to be and automatically are crying "Sellouts! Heathens! You're Cheapening yourselves for money!"

give it a chance... good lord... there have been worse properties made into video games.

Heh, you do realize that that's the reaction to essentially every non-Bethesda game discussed on this forum? :(

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

edit: I should also mention that I personally don't believe that Amerian Mcgee's Alice could even get made in todays current game development world. except possibly as an extremely low-budget effort bya fringe developer or as a completely self-funded vanity project. Which of course, is why the current game development paradigm is creating such a huge number of dull games.

That's why development of Alice 2 was largely outsourced to South-East Asia.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

edit: I should also mention that I personally don't believe that Amerian Mcgee's Alice could even get made in todays current game development world. except possibly as an extremely low-budget effort bya fringe developer or as a completely self-funded vanity project. Which of course, is why the current game development paradigm is creating such a huge number of dull games.

That's why development of Alice 2 was largely outsourced to South-East Asia.

Outsourced? I'm fairly sure that's Alice McGee's company? I haven't follow Alice's development tho'.

But the reality is that tv tie-in games are generally simplisitic cash-ins aimed to remove the money of fans of the tv show. You can go to almost any televison/cable web site and find games based on their series, games produced not to be good games, but simply to generate as much money as possible for as little investment as possible. Heck, you can order them off the back of cereal boxes in some cases.
I used to share your cynicism, but then I played Arkham Asylum, or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love a Tie-In Game. You're right that tie-ins are usually lousy cash-ins, because they typically try to get by on IP alone. Good tie-ins are successful because they have a great alignment between theme and gamplay - in Arkham, Rocksteady nailed the gameplay of CQC and stealth. The greatest accomplishment of Arkham Asylum is that your character will perch deftly on a gargoyle wearing tights and big ceramic bat ears and you don't feel like some fiddly furry creep - you feel cool, and you feel lethal.

Based on the Game Informer article, the new RPG seems to be RT hack and slash running on Onyx, which (like DS3) runs a very real danger of becoming generic gameplay with a tacked-on theme. I could see this as worrying. But this IP is kind of built to make use of traditional RPG tropes and perhaps surmount them. You mentioned earlier that Obsidian may as well make a Jersey Shore or Big Bass game, but the difference between those IP's and South Park is that South Park has its own developed universe and metaphysic - it even has 'lore,' or whatever term nerds use to designate the fake history of a fake setting. It also has elements important to storytelling - an often editorial worldview and real honest-to-goodness themes.

Among those themes is the role of imagination - more specifically, how imagination is often willfully self deluding, self aggrandizing, and ego inflating. And I'm sorry, but how is this not characteristic of nearly every RPG you've ever played? There's a reason why Avellone refers often to ego-stroking and power fantasies as recurring design goals. RPGs are often about elevating the scale and stakes of the game, chiefly to accommodate the expansion of the player's ego as s/he trivializes former challenges. The twist in South Park - and this is potentially rich for both story and gameplay - is the opposition between the "power" of a person's imagination and the powerlessness he or she feels in reality - there are inevitably moments where characters in the show come down from their fantasies to face the indisputable bummer of real life. Consider for instance the episode where the boys are playing ninja: they're drawn as these massive muscle-bound anime characters in their fantasy - until a goddamn throwing star ends up in Butters' eye. They're once again themselves, small and vulnerable and in trouble.

I honestly believe there's more freedom and potential in this franchise than in, say, Star Wars, D&D, or Warhammer, which are so hemmed in by 'canon,' prior world-building, and fanbase expectations that their settings are downright claustrophobic. But then I was one of the people who looked forward to Alpha Protocol, so maybe I'm just biased against swords, lasers, and laserswords.

Edited by Jackalmonkey

A dull boy.

" BioWare (Edmonton) seems to be stuck (for the time being) with Mass Effect and Dragon Age"

More foolishness. BIO's portofolio is wasy more varied than Obsidian's. They've done games likes SS, MDK2, S:RPG,social network games, turn based games, aMP focused, etc., etc.

Sorry, dude, but this ignorance that somehow Obsidian's portfolio is more broad than BIO's is ridiculous. Let's not forget the attacks on BIO when they decided to a S:RPG game and this SP game is basically the same sort of things.

SP RPG has a lot a potential if done right so the whininga bout it is silly. But,t he defenders also have some stuff like tryinmg to pretend that Obsidian's portfolio is broad when it isn't. Certainly isn't broader than BIO's portfoilio. And, no, it don't matter that BIO's been around longer. Being broader thana company that has basically focused on one game or one series, however, isn't impressive either.

I do like how people do like ton attack companies no matter what.

ie. Company x is dumb because theya ren't focused on thing and company y is dumb because they don't focus on what theya re 'perceived' to be good at.

Both extremes are just plain stupid. But, that's internet for you.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

But the reality is that tv tie-in games are generally simplisitic cash-ins aimed to remove the money of fans of the tv show. You can go to almost any televison/cable web site and find games based on their series, games produced not to be good games, but simply to generate as much money as possible for as little investment as possible. Heck, you can order them off the back of cereal boxes in some cases.
I used to share your cynicism, but then I played Arkham Asylum, or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love a Tie-In Game. You're right that tie-ins are usually lousy cash-ins, because they typically try to get by on IP alone. Good tie-ins are successful because they have a great alignment between theme and gamplay - in Arkham, Rocksteady nailed the gameplay of CQC and stealth. The greatest accomplishment of Arkham Asylum is that your character will perch deftly on a gargoyle wearing tights and big ceramic bat ears and you don't feel like some fiddly furry creep - you feel cool, and you feel lethal.

Based on the Game Informer article, the new RPG seems to be RT hack and slash running on Onyx, which (like DS3) runs a very real danger of becoming generic gameplay with a tacked-on theme. I could see this as worrying. But this IP is kind of built to make use of traditional RPG tropes and perhaps surmount them. You mentioned earlier that Obsidian may as well make a Jersey Shore or Big Bass game, but the difference between those IP's and South Park is that South Park has its own developed universe and metaphysic - it even has 'lore,' or whatever term nerds use to designate the fake history of a fake setting. It also has elements important to storytelling - an often editorial worldview and real honest-to-goodness themes.

Among those themes is the role of imagination - more specifically, how imagination is often willfully self deluding, self aggrandizing, and ego inflating. And I'm sorry, but how is this not characteristic of nearly every RPG you've ever played? There's a reason why Avellone refers often to ego-stroking and power fantasies as recurring design goals. RPGs are often about elevating the scale and stakes of the game, chiefly to accommodate the expansion of the player's ego as s/he trivializes former challenges. The twist in South Park - and this is potentially rich for both story and gameplay - is the opposition between the "power" of a person's imagination and the powerlessness he or she feels in reality - there are inevitably moments where characters in the show come down from their fantasies to face the indisputable bummer of real life. Consider for instance the episode where the boys are playing ninja: they're drawn as these massive muscle-bound anime characters in their fantasy - until a goddamn throwing star ends up in Butters' eye. They're once again themselves, small and vulnerable and in trouble.

I honestly believe there's more freedom and potential in this franchise than in, say, Star Wars, D&D, or Warhammer, which are so hemmed in by 'canon,' prior world-building, and fanbase expectations that their settings are downright claustrophobic. But then I was one of the people who looked forward to Alpha Protocol, so maybe I'm just biased against swords, lasers, and laserswords.

Very good post..

Outsourced? I'm fairly sure that's Alice McGee's company? I haven't follow Alice's development tho'.

Alice was developed by some Shangai studio. I don't even know the name of it.

Yes, thats American McGee's studio. Wasn't outsourced. It's called "Spicy Horse".

Edited by C2B

Hi, JM!

If Obs can step beyond making a game that is little more than a promotional tie in or an income stream for a tv series, as most of these tie-in games are then that would be great.

WHat I see as worrying is Deadliest Catch: The Game.

But if the sights are set much higher, then I'm all for it.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

" BioWare (Edmonton) seems to be stuck (for the time being) with Mass Effect and Dragon Age"

More foolishness. BIO's portofolio is wasy more varied than Obsidian's. They've done games likes SS, MDK2, S:RPG,social network games, turn based games, aMP focused, etc., etc.

Sorry, dude, but this ignorance that somehow Obsidian's portfolio is more broad than BIO's is ridiculous. Let's not forget the attacks on BIO when they decided to a S:RPG game and this SP game is basically the same sort of things.

Actually I was talking about their current situation and currently they are only doing those two franchises. Over the time they have had bunch of fantasy games and scifi games + that Sonic game for DS, I really wouldn't count Shattered Steel and MDK2 here either since they aren't even in the same genre we are talking about. Nothing based on the "real world". More games yes, but it's just fantasy and (space) scifi so far.

Hate the living, love the dead.

Hi, JM!

If Obs can step beyond making a game that is little more than a promotional tie in or an income stream for a tv series, as most of these tie-in games are then that would be great.

WHat I see as worrying is Deadliest Catch: The Game.

But if the sights are set much higher, then I'm all for it.

so, if its good and innovative, you will like it? not particularly insightful, but is hard to argue against you.

*shrug*

until we get a better idea o' the actual gameplay, we is gonna continue to be dismissive o' this seeming April Fools Joke that somebody took too far.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I'm unsure what BioWare has to do with the topic by the way.

Nothing really, I just made a comment how Obsidian has more diversity in the settings than other companies (currently) and I guess that summons your friendly neighbourhood canuck.

Hate the living, love the dead.

so, if its good and innovative, you will like it? not particularly insightful, but is hard to argue against you.

Nope. But if its taken seriously as a game that needs to exist as a game in its own right, not just a marketing tool for the show, then it's a start.

I'm unsure what BioWare has to do with the topic by the way.

obsidian has some o' the codexian need to inject why-bioware-sux into every thread that exceeds some vague critical mass. oddly enough, at bioware every thread that continues for at least 20 pages eventually gets a ghey romance mention. am gonna leave it up to you to decide which fanbase is more wacky.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Nope. But if its taken seriously as a game that needs to exist as a game in its own right, not just a marketing tool for the show, then it's a start.

you could say the same o' any game based on any franchise. again, no insight... save to recognize that we do not have similar debates when discussing d&d games or star wars games, or tom clancy games. the danger o' being a money-grab tie-in (or whatever) is different in this case than in the aforementioned. ask self "why?"

HA! Good Fun!