Also, if SP is a "small IP" (15 seasons is small now, what the hell) WHAT would consitute a big IP? I hear Avatar, but damn, that's just 1(!) movie. With a crap game. Hardly a big IP. Star Wars sure. But you remember how much LA butchered KOTOR2 right?

Avatar in conversations here refer probably to Avatar: The Last Airbender, the Nickelodeon cartoon, which probably would have a bigger appeal than South Park : fantasy setting heavily inspired by Asian mythology and legends, with a touch of steampunk, cool-looking abilities and powers, a broader audience (as the chant says, from 7 to 77), a huge success, etc.

Although I wonder how they would have made the choice of gender or 'bending' work if we played as the Avatar, seeing that if we stayed with the show's 'canon', there would be at least one generation between each choice.

Also, if SP is a "small IP" (15 seasons is small now, what the hell) WHAT would consitute a big IP? I hear Avatar, but damn, that's just 1(!) movie. With a crap game. Hardly a big IP. Star Wars sure. But you remember how much LA butchered KOTOR2 right?

Avatar in conversations here refer probably to Avatar: The Last Airbender, the Nickelodeon cartoon, which probably would have a bigger appeal than South Park : fantasy setting heavily inspired by Asian mythology and legends, with a touch of steampunk, cool-looking abilities and powers, a broader audience (as the chant says, from 7 to 77), a huge success, etc.

Although I wonder how they would have made the choice of gender or 'bending' work if we played as the Avatar, seeing that if we stayed with the show's 'canon', there would be at least one generation between each choice.

You may be overestemating Avatar:TLA here. Strongly. Its a big IP, true. Nowhere as big or well known as South Park, though.

A lot of you seem to be missing the point. You can't make a game out of Georgio Armani or House MD. Although they are undoubtedly very well known, they just don't translate to a game.

Yes, you can on both of them (Especially House MD). Depends on HOW you do it.

Edited by C2B

Yes, but that doesn't mean anyone would want South Park the game. I'm sure there is a Simpsons game out there somewhere, has anyone ever played that ?

I'm pretty sure there are loads of fans of South Park that will buy the game if it's good. It pretty much depends on the delivery and with licenced games as always there are those who will pick it up not knowing about quality at all, just because it's based on a show they like.

Hate the living, love the dead.

Yes, but that doesn't mean anyone would want South Park the game. I'm sure there is a Simpsons game out there somewhere, has anyone ever played that ?

I'm pretty sure there are loads of fans of South Park that will buy the game if it's good. It pretty much depends on the delivery and with licenced games as always there are those who will pick it up not knowing about quality at all, just because it's based on a show they like.

I played The Simpsons open world sandbox game back in the day, it was very well done. I think it came out about 8 years ago or so. It was basically GTA but in Springfield.

I'm assuming Primus will do the music for this game.

Didn't that Avatar's movie bomb?

So much for a great IP... ;)

Also who says you cannot make a game of House (Don't know the other). Probably no RPG though...

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15582

This pretty much explains how the game will be (from the GI article).

A mass accessible RPG done in the south park setting. Pretty much what I expected. And using the Onyx engine.

Already posted in the other thread.

Also how do silent protagonist, 2D and factions scream all that "mass-accessible" to you? Could be worse.

Edited by C2B

silent protagonist, 2D

Hell yeah.

Step back in the right direction.

Really, who liked voiced protagonists like in DA2?

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

I just watched the latest south park season, because I haven't seen it yet. In my opinion, a south park game could work. Though, I can't really see it as rpg yet. Adventure on the other hand shouldn't be a big deal. After all, there is a lot of stuff to work with, when it comes to south park.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15582

This pretty much explains how the game will be (from the GI article).

A mass accessible RPG done in the south park setting. Pretty much what I expected. And using the Onyx engine.

The game looks like it could work - I like how Matt n Trey are kind of coaching how the quests should be. Sometimes I think video game designers get stuck in the same old, same old mind frame when it comes to making quests.

Think it's both a good and potentially bad sign that the creators are so involved. It's great in the sense that the game is taken seriously and doesn't seem to be a quick cash-grab. On the other hand, well... It's a game and not a tv-series. Hopefully they've found a good middle-ground to work within so that the design team at Obsidian doesn't get choked and just told what to do.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

Think it's both a good and potentially bad sign that the creators are so involved. It's great in the sense that the game is taken seriously and doesn't seem to be a quick cash-grab. On the other hand, well... It's a game and not a tv-series. Hopefully they've found a good middle-ground to work within so that the design team at Obsidian doesn't get choked and just told what to do.

Yep, that's true. What's good on paper can just outright suck or simply fall flat in it's video game implementation too. So, a good balance of knowing what you can do + a fresh source of ideas seems like a good thing. Plus, I'm not so sure how a designer can be that inspired to create really engaging stuff from this type of source material - so again, the people who are passionate about it, Matt and Trey, giving it a little spunk, seems like a good match.

" lot of you seem to be missing the point. You can't make a game out of Georgio Armani or House MD. Although they are undoubtedly very well known, they just don't translate to a game. "

Lack of imagination. How can anyone who proclaims to love video games - espciially RPG ones - have such a lack of imagine? It's embarassing. I'm not even a huge fan of the show House (watched an episode here and there) but in a matter of minutes I cam up with multiple ways to do a House game. LMAO

You reek of the fools who can't imagine a BG3 when there literally over a dozen ways to do a legit sequel to BG2. At minimum.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

All I really know is this will be a painful dev cycle. Trey and Matt will make sweeping overnight changes with no thought the implications. I hope they're ready.

Isn't that pretty much the usual Obsidian's dev cycle with maybe the exception of Fallout: New Vegas and Dungeon Siege III?

They didn't have to deal with two mentalists who think they can change the game overnight.

Seriously though, I don't think its going to be a pleasant dev cycle, I could be wrong, The Obsidian guys have publicly stated their internal learning, all seems sensible, so provided they can keep up with the crazy train, it may in fact be okay.

The real shame is that South Park, hasn't really been funny in years.

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

All I really know is this will be a painful dev cycle. Trey and Matt will make sweeping overnight changes with no thought the implications. I hope they're ready.

Isn't that pretty much the usual Obsidian's dev cycle with maybe the exception of Fallout: New Vegas and Dungeon Siege III?

They didn't have to deal with two mentalists who think they can change the game overnight.

Seriously though, I don't think its going to be a pleasant dev cycle, I could be wrong, The Obsidian guys have publicly stated their internal learning, all seems sensible, so provided they can keep up with the crazy train, it may in fact be okay.

The real shame is that South Park, hasn't really been funny in years.

From Anthony Davis

It's actually pretty amazing to work Matt and Trey, as well as the people who work on the actual TV show at SP Studios. You have know idea how cool it is to write some dialogue for the kids, and then get audio from SP Studios for those lines. Their team at SP Studios actually provide US with concept art too. They are just a great gang to work with, very funny too obviously.

SP can be very topical, which indicates how fast they work and often they can change gears for TV. They really are professionals, and they understand that TV and video games are two different mediums with two different development processes. They understand that they can change the topic of this week's TV show on a dime for some breaking news event, but that same mode of operation doesn't work in video games. Video games that focus on topical humor don't tend be topical when they are released due to how long it takes for video games to be developed.

Edited by C2B

The guys who make South Park are extremely productive and have managed to release multiple movies along with a long running TV show. I really doubt they are hard to work with. They released a successful film with puppets for goodness sake.

Also, the topical issue is the same with movies, you are looking at longer development cycles for both. I doubt that will be their biggest hurdle. Making gameplay fun will likely be the biggest obstacle.