South Park RPG announced

C2B

SP bashes every group imagine.

"I loved PS:Torment. I dug Alpha Protocol. New Vegas was fantastic. I even liked Knights of the Old Republic despite loathing Star Wars. "

Obsidian didn't make PST. And, they only made KOTOR2 not 1. AP was horrible. FO:LV was awesome.

S:RPG could be fun. To me, it's their version of S:RPG except its on 360 so I cna actually try it. It is probably real time but maybe they'll go TB like BIO did with S.

"Obsidian isn't even doing the writing? Why the **** would you hire Obsidian then?"

Obsidian is a game devloper. More specifilalya RPG developer. Obvious the SP guys wanted to make a S:RPG so they went to people with know how and I doubt they go BIo since they'd have to share profits with EA and with Obsidian they ahve the advantage of power. Whose publishing the game, anyways?

Also, it seems while the SP guys are writing the script, I seriously doubt they'll be writing every single piece of dialogue either so the Obsidian goofs will do writing too.

I also bet this is a trather small project unlike most of Obsidian's games.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

South Park is a highly politically charged show. If they didn't want to bring politics into their world, they shouldn't have worked with the IP.

They didn't bring politics into it. You did.

No they did. By working on an intellectual property that's sole purpose is to give two **** a platform for lib-right propaganda.

edit w/ reply for Vol: I know Obsidian didn't make PS:T, but Obsidian is where most of the folks who designed it ended up. I know they didn't make the first KoTOR, but that doesn't mean they didn't make the second one. You're trashing AP? AP was fantastic. Show me a single game that has that much reactivity to the player. The Witcher 2 comes close, but doesn't even touch it.

Wait. You're both codex ghouls. Nevermind.

Edited by darkling23

From what I saw, it always felt like when SP was taking a specific stance on something, it was reasonably clear (separate from general lampooning of everything in sight).

Mustang did they already work on it while you were still there? How were the South Park guys if so?

I was the producer on South Park RPG for some time. I don't recall directly interfacing with Matt & Trey, but the SP Studios guys I worked with were great.

I feel a disturbance in the force. It's as though a hundred devs simultaneously facepalmed, and then fell silent bc the nda is still in place.

twitter

"You're trashing AP? AP was fantastic. Show me a single game that has that much reactivity to the player."

AP is trahs and it's C&C sucks.

Games with better reactivity? Top of my head... PST, FO1, FO2, FO:LV, DA, U, MOTB... the list goes on.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Ah man, it was funny to see the nerdrage with the no PC error. Now I remember why I left.

Anyway, from what's written it doesn't really seem like a Wheel of Time deal. Obsidz designs and the SP bros write? That's about what you'd need for the game to stay tonally consistent, given how much SP is an "auteur" sort of property. I don't really live in a reality where Obsidian is some sort of pure child figure, either, so I'm not really disappointed or horrified by Obsidz' decision. I don't even think it's one they made out of desperation. There's something in this for them, obviously. And more than they're a cred / fun delivery system for their hardcore fanbase they're a company full of people who need to eat. So good on them for making such a high-profile deal.

Also Mustang, you never saw the "**** is just a funny word" episode?

Mustang did they already work on it while you were still there? How were the South Park guys if so?

I was the producer on South Park RPG for some time. I don't recall directly interfacing with Matt & Trey, but the SP Studios guys I worked with were great.

Thanks for the answer ;)

Who is working on it by the way? Is this the project Eric Fenstermaker is working on since he didn't work on the Fallout DLCs?

Well I'm excited about this. Don't know what everyone else was expecting, but South Park is a good licence and it has a lot of fans all over the world. Don't really get it why people are acting so emo/*****hy since we already knew New York would be a IP using a license. Comedy done right in a RPG is something that you don't see everyday and South Park's humour usually works for me (and most of my friends).

It's using Onyx? Right?

Hate the living, love the dead.

Oh I get it, they take on fantasy character roles for some reason. The context makes sense for South Park, but I'm still not sure that's enough for me to be optimistic.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Oh I get it, they take on fantasy character roles for some reason. The context makes sense for South Park, but I'm still not sure that's enough for me to be optimistic.

We'll see as soon as we have more info on the game. Its really just the announcement at the moment. How the game will end up is pure speculation at the moment.

I'm sure he's crying himself to sleep every night wondering what went wrong.

Actually.....

Will Ooi: Hi Mr Cain, thank you very much for taking part in this interview series, and first of all congratulations on securing a role at Obsidian. How do you feel about this move, and what does it mean for your and Obsidian's future plans?

Tim Cain: I really enjoy working at Obsidian. I know many of the people there from our time at Interplay or Troika, and I have played all of Obsidian's games, so in many ways this new job was the smoothest transition I have ever made. Everyone there has been very friendly and welcoming, and I am excited to be back in the RPG game space.

But I should explain that I am a temporary contracted employee at Obsidian. I am considering joining another company in the spring of 2012 and have been talking with them since August, so in the meantime I am working at Obsidian on one of their games as a senior programmer. My contract extends thru March of 2012, at which time all parties (myself, Obsidian and the other company) can decide what the next step should be.

Will Ooi: Could you give us some more information about what your title of Senior Programmer will involve, and how you'll fit in to the company's hierarchy?

Tim Cain: As a senior programmer, I have been assigned to work for Dan Spitzley on their New York project. I am working on various coding tasks concerning combat and general gameplay. The group is very open to design suggestions from all of its members, and they hold weekly meetings where the game is played and anyone can suggest changes to gameplay, anything from new abilities to UI to voice over. Everyone at Obsidian is very passionate about their games, and it shows in their development process.

Edit: "Sarcasm detector broken"

Edited by C2B