SW: The Old Republic Part 2

Hurlshort

There is a whole cult of Revan on the main Imperial planet, and there is a cave that you go into where they worship. You get to see his spirit and it's more impressive looking. You also recover his mask. It's a pretty cool storyline, I didn't get super far into it but he gets a lot of respect from some of the Sith. They also tend to be a bit less ruthless, as they are open to embracing both the light and the dark that Revan represents.

I have no idea what that clip was from, probably a flashpoint.

The beta is downloading right now and I can't wait until this weekend

While their web server is absolutely hammered, I got the download at a nice, steady 3.30MB/s.

And I'm making some headway at 793 kb/s...

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Wuss? He takes more damage and lives in that clip than he did in KOTOR1? He even killed half the (n)pc group. Not bad cosnideirng it was 1vs 4.

R00fles!

I doubt your KOTOR1 Reven could beat up the KOTOR MMO Revan. :lol:

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Well that is fine and dandy my possible game experience has been ruined knowing that major spoiler.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Wuss? He takes more damage and lives in that clip than he did in KOTOR1? He even killed half the (n)pc group. Not bad considering it was 1vs 4.

R00fles!

I doubt your KOTOR1 Revan could beat up the KOTOR MMO Revan. ;)

Not with charop at the wheels. It's not hard to take down Malak in 1 round if you optimize.

That was Kyle Katarn's VA doing Revan, so I guess the question of who is better has been answered, they're the same.

Got access to the beta, RAGE is small compared to the install footprint of TOR.

Heh, there's a fair amount of nerd-rage on the TOR forums over the realisation that it's a staggered beta test, so a chunk of people won't get into the game until sunday, thereby giving them about 14 hours to play the game.

Apparently they're missing the fact that it's a stress test Beta, not a free demo, and not something they're entitled to. They volunteered to be beta testers, and they haven't spent money on getting the game...

If it's going to kill a large chunk of your monthly download limit, then I can understand some annoyance factor - but that just means you have to weigh just how worth it is to you for the potential 14 hours of playing around..

If it's going to kill a large chunk of your monthly download limit, then I can understand some annoyance factor - but that just means you have to weigh just how worth it is to you for the potential 14 hours of playing around..
Download limits, so 1990s, but that's what you get when you live in a 3rd world country.

I'm going to try out Trooper because it's the most interesting class and NOT available for Empire (which sucks). My main at launch will most likely be Sith Sorc healer.

I hope I get the full weekend to test, accepted invitation early Monday and had it installed during the evening. Download rates went up and down but were somewhere between 4-6MBit/s the whole time.

Download limits, so 1990s, but that's what you get when you live in a 3rd world country.

I'm going to try out Trooper because it's the most interesting class and NOT available for Empire (which sucks). My main at launch will most likely be Sith Sorc healer.

I hope I get the full weekend to test, accepted invitation early Monday and had it installed during the evening. Download rates went up and down but were somewhere between 4-6MBit/s the whole time.

Heh, I thoroughly enjoy my unlimited broadband.. so I'm blithely ignoring that issue, although I read a lot of comments about it from various people.

Hm, I'm considering trying out the Trooper myself to start off the beta weekend, I think while it looks like it has a few interesting features, it's probably the class I'm not going to play in the near future when I get the game proper.

I won't be getting the game. I haven't touched it in what seems like months at this point. And I'd like to say why.

I want to avoid hyperbole, so this is going to take a while for me to edit in. The game hit me in a very bad spot, but I want to filter out the emotion.

Maybe I'll just stick to the facts. Bounty Hunter quest on Tattooine. You're sent to kill a target, naturally. You chase him around, seem to find an opportunity or two to catch him early, and he escapes. You get to the end of the line on the planet and you catch him again. I thought to myself "finally get to kill this bleep." I would like you to guess what happens next.

Did you guess that he escapes again? Not quite. I think I could have been content with that. You help him. You are forced to help him fake his death and he joins you as a companion. There is no other choice. What kind of plotline forces a Bounty Hunter character to defraud his employer? It might not have been so bad if the circumstances weren't so forced. A clone is involved. And you have to kill it instead of the guy you're supposed to.

It was around this time that my initial beta session ended. They were going to update the client, do a new round with fresh characters. Could not be bothered to log back in with that to look forward to. Or even the entire concept that represents. It's a denial of a more than reasonable player choice, the desire to do the character's job when they have the opportunity and ability to do so. Computer games and their writers can not be expected to predict and account for all player options. They can't even implement all of the reasonable ones in all circumstances. But the option they force the player to take in this instance does not strike me as a reasonable one.

I realized something a while back about RPGs. To write or design an RPG well, they have to be able to DM well. If a DM pulled that in a tabletop game, nobody would ever return. And the DM would have extra dice lodged in his face.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I'm less annoyed that companions are forced on you than the method of this particular one's acquisition. I didn't care that I had to team up with Mako even though the motivation was lacking. But this guy. THIS GUY.

Would be nice to see choice in a MMORPG, well other than choice of loot rewards.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I'm less annoyed that companions are forced on you than the method of this particular one's acquisition. I didn't care that I had to team up with Mako even though the motivation was lacking. But this guy. THIS GUY.

It's funny, but I'm playing the Bounty Hunter in beta because I know it is the last class I would want to really play in an MMO. And while the story has been engaging enough to this point, there are still some things about being all about the benjamins that rub me the wrong way.

It's funny, but I'm playing the Bounty Hunter in beta because I know it is the last class I would want to really play in an MMO. And while the story has been engaging enough to this point, there are still some things about being all about the benjamins that rub me the wrong way.

I was sincerely hoping the BH plot would relate to the greater conflict in at least some way. But it's completely irrelevant. It's a contest.

I recognize that's just my preference. A lot of people are playing the Bounty Hunter class for things like The Great Hunt and to play characters after fame and fortune. But I was hoping to be able to play a mercenary for the Sith. They're not even involved in the class plot, except they hire you for petty things on rare occasion.

Would be nice to see choice in a MMORPG, well other than choice of loot rewards.
*cough* Guild Wars 2 *cough*

I stand corrected. Just have come to not expect such things from MMORPGs. Has anyone played the Agent, and if so, how is their story/playstyle ?

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

But isn't that kind of the whole point of the Mandalorians? They aren't really with the Empire, they are just looking for the greatest challenge. They purposefully distance themselves from the greater conflict.

I don't know, I've never been a big BH fan, even Bobba Fett. It's a shame because I love the abilities they have in combat.

Did you play any other classes? I am just wondering if there might be a different storyline that you feel better about.

I stand corrected. Just have come to not expect such things from MMORPGs. Has anyone played the Agent, and if so, how is their story/playstyle ?

I would say there is a fair amount of choice in each storyline in TOR. One of the earliest quests in the Sith Warrior campaign has you deciding the fate of three prisoners. You can let them go, keep them imprisoned, kill them outright, or let them fight for their lives. Then when you finish, your master lectures you about what the right choices were and why. Some are simple choice, some are a bit more complex.

Funny you ask that just as I start

. Edited by Oner

Random aside, when at work, always look at the link text before clicking. :)