SW: The Old Republic Part 2

Hurlshort

I guess I haven't really looked at the book from a female perspective. But I also don't have much in the way of expectations when I read these types of books.

So anyone in on the first wave? I'm guessing you had to preorder on day one to get in today. I'm still hoping I will get in by Thursday.

So anyone in on the first wave? I'm guessing you had to preorder on day one to get in today. I'm still hoping I will get in by Thursday.

Technically I am. But I'm not.

Funnily enough, the pre-order of the standard version (which is linked to my original account) has received the "invite" to todays early access.

The trouble being, the standard version is going to my sister as a christmas present.

While my CE version (which I've been told has already been shipped) is still waiting for the early access invite.

(and yes, its linked to an account, so its just waiting).

So although I technically could get in right now... I'm not. I'm waiting to be able to use my CE account.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

drew either does character good or he does bad-- gender should be an incidental factor.

Says the dude. Someone who can expect a member of his gender to be the protagonist of almost every book, movie, and game out there.

*groan*

forgetting for a moment your selective focus on hemingway v. williams characters... what a LOAD. is hyperbole even when going past the last 100 years, but you is either very poorly read, or is exaggerating to a ridiculous degree if you honestly believing your claim. regardless, why the heck does it matter how your gender has suffered in media over the centuries? does bending over backwards to inject pro-feminist elements into lit in the 21st century makes up for the oversights o' past authors? forget for a moment that a majority o' authors since the dawn o' written history has been male and thus inherently more capable o' breathing life into believable male characters, what is the point o' observing a paucity o' female protagonists before drew wrote his book? is complete irrelevant. good or bad character... has nothing to do with feminism. blanche and stella is incredible characters regardless o' the fact that they is weak. were elzabeth bennet weak because she relented? maybe. we likes the protagonists in jane eyre, to kill a mockingbird, and alice in wonderland. heck, phillip pullman's protagonist in his dark materials trilogy is one o' our favorite fantasy protagonists, along with gaiman's coraline. strong. weak. whatever.

get over it.

HA! Good Fun!

ps our favorite obsidian characters is almost invariably female-- we got no axe to grind. kreia were the best character in kotor 2... no question. ravel is our all-time favorite crpg character. is Not gender that is important.

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

]

Hey, I'm not going to tout it as a strong piece of literature either. It's a pretty basic book. If you aren't into the games, I can't imagine why you would read it, actually. It's pulp fiction that gives a nice little background story on a video game.

Oner, I did notice you were dissecting the blog and I agree with your point. When I read that section of the book I didn't see any problem with the exchange. I haven't actually read the blog, it sounds a bit pretentious for my tastes.

edit: Looking over the thread, I think Oblarg is the only one dissecting this stuff.

Doesn't take much "dissection" to see that Karpshyn obviously paid no attention to the plot of the game which his novel is supposed to conclude.

"The universe is a yawning chasm, filled with emptiness and the puerile meanderings of sentience..." - Ulyaoth

"It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built." - Kreia

"I thought this forum was for Speculation & Discussion, not Speculation & Calling People Trolls." - lord of flies

"- KotOR2's writing does, indeed, far transcend "lightsabers and guns that go pew pew." "

No. No, it really doesn't. It's no deeper than typical SW.

As for the article writer, she is as much a man hater as the male woman haters she hates on. That makes her hypocritical.

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Doesn't take much "dissection" to see that Karpshyn obviously paid no attention to the plot of the game which his novel is supposed to conclude.

It pays quite a lot of attention to it, actually. So far it has really bridged the two games, while setting the groundwork for TOR.

But I think you and I have very different opinions of the KotOR 2 story. I played it years ago and have a very faint memory of the plot and characters. I remember enjoying it immensely, but I couldn't really expand on any of the details. I was an Exile, I fought a lot of sith, I lost my connection to the force but blah blah blah I recovered it and became a badass. Kreia was an old chick who was manipulating me and then we fought at the end. That's about it.

Anyways, the book has covered that well enough to satisfy my crusty memory.

I was an Exile, I fought a lot of sith, I lost my connection to the force but blah blah blah I recovered it and became a badass. Kreia was an old chick who was manipulating me and then we fought at the end. That's about it.

And if that's really all you took away from the game, then you missed a lot.

"The universe is a yawning chasm, filled with emptiness and the puerile meanderings of sentience..." - Ulyaoth

"I thought this forum was for Speculation & Discussion, not Speculation & Calling People Trolls." - lord of flies

I was an Exile, I fought a lot of sith, I lost my connection to the force but blah blah blah I recovered it and became a badass. Kreia was an old chick who was manipulating me and then we fought at the end. That's about it.

And if that's really all you took away from the game, then you missed a lot.

I think there were some cool sidekicks or something. As I said, it was years ago and I'm an old man with way too many other things on my mind. It's a game, I enjoyed it, I'm not really sure what else I should have taken away from it.

I've always thought that "cool story, bro" is the best summary of kotor2. :thumbsup:

Meanwhile, I got my early access invite, but can't start until Thursday evening at the earliest, anyway.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

I liked the characters and concepts it presented. I kind of disagree with Avellone's interpretations of the setting. Kreia wanting to destroy the force was less "well-intentioned extremist" to me and more "omnicidal maniac." I happen to enjoy a good omnicidal maniac, so it wasn't a loss.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I liked the characters and concepts it presented. I kind of disagree with Avellone's interpretations of the setting. Kreia wanting to destroy the force was less "well-intentioned extremist" to me and more "omnicidal maniac." I happen to enjoy a good omnicidal maniac, so it wasn't a loss.

not omnicidal. death of force wouldn't result in the annihilation o' all life or even complete human (or sentient life) extinction. for kreia, no force = freedom from tyranny. personally, we had great sympathy for kreia's goals. we thinks chrisA coulda done a better job communicating kreia goals to the player as his attempts at deep and profound often gets a bit... hammy? maudlin introspection and dime store philosophy not work any better in games than novels-- audiences mentally blackout when reading or listening to self-indulgent author ramblings. even so, we thinks that given the inherent corniness o' the star wars setting, kreia were believable and compelling.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

You guys are dissecting this stuff like it is serious literature. I barely remember the main plot points of KotOR 2, and nothing I've read of the Revan novel feels out of place. Lighten up, it's Star Wars, it's about lightsabers and guns that go pew pew.

I don't remember spending much time in college literature classes studying trashy sci-fi novels, and I think there was a good reason for that.

1. I am a woman.

2. I like to read about women playing with lightsabers and guns that go pew pew.

3. It's a book in which only men get to do the cool stuff. Women get to have the hero's kid or die.

That sucks.

Play Septerra Core, the heroine is the only character who regularly gets lines! :lol:

death of force wouldn't result in the annihilation o' all life or even complete human (or sentient life) extinction.

And that's where I disagree with Avellone.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I will be adventuring on Corellia Run

Well I received my Early Access and decided to whip up a character for it. Since Corellia Run is an East Coast server, I've decided to check out how capable it is.. have no noticable lag, so I'll poke around on there as well for the moment.

I will be adventuring on Corellia Run

Well I received my Early Access and decided to whip up a character for it. Since Corellia Run is an East Coast server, I've decided to check out how capable it is.. have no noticable lag, so I'll poke around on there as well for the moment.

Cool, once I get in I will add you to my friends list.

death of force wouldn't result in the annihilation o' all life or even complete human (or sentient life) extinction.

And that's where I disagree with Avellone.

Though, even if you think the death of the force would be omnicidal, I still maintain Kreia's gambit was always ultimately to force her own death at the hands of the Exile on Malachor V, to finally silence the echo which had given birth to all of the conflict in the game, rather than to actually kill the force.

Having a fairly enjoyable run around on Korriban with my Sith Inquisitor at the moment. Hoping to try a more "grey" route rather then go full darkside, I seem to have accomplished a fair amount of the various world quests and the two Heroic Quests.. getting ready to face my "Final Trial" which is where I'll pick up my first companion.

Some interesting characters, but so far no Imperial Officers with english accents..

Edit: And yes, Force Lightning is fun.. :lol:

Edited by Raithe

So, how does this compare to the 2 Kotor games? In terms of writing and overall feeling?

Well, from the beta weekend where I played a Republic Trooper, and my play of getting off Korriban with my Sith Inquisitor.. I'd have to say it really does feel like Kotor on steroids. The locations are much more expanisve, and the pacing is a little slower. But everything you get, you really earn. It took me about 6 hours to finally get a lightsaber, and damn it felt good to have that first fight with it.

Apart from the "Heroic Missions", I've been doing everything solo, and there is no feeling of pressure to group up. I keep getting the urge to quick save, and yes, there have been times I really wish I could save just so I could see how alternate choices would play out.

It would have been interesting to see a few more subtleties on some of it, and there are a few suprising moments.

As a Sith Inquisitor acolyte and former slace, my immediate supervisor has a serious hate-on for you and constantly denigrates you, pushing another acolyte as his favourite. So when you hit the point you finally get accepted as an apprentice for a Sith Lord.. I thought the whole "thank you for your teachers, it just..inspired me so much" was more of a mind-**** comment to make to him, although it turned out to actually be a light side response. (Although his response, both in dialogue and facial animation was kind of mentally poked as well)

am having a n00b question: what are instances? we were reading 'bout some exploit that allowed players to reach level 50 after only a couple o' days, and there were repeated references to "instances" in conjunction with "warzone servers." is all greek to Gromnir. from what we can tell, warzone is pvp, but we got zero idea what is "instances," and the search function at the swtor boards is purposeful disabled for some oddly timed maintenance reasons. am not particular surprised that some exploit exists that allows lightning leveling, but am hating to be ignorant o' the jargon/vernacular that the kids is using these days. am a preternatural curious person. somebody wanna help us out with "instances"?

thanks.

HA! Good Fun!

Like Virtual PC's. You create a 'bubble', which is a local copy (i.e. instance) of part of the game world. Two instances would provide two groups of people the same bit of the game world, but never know of the presence of each other. Yeah, sounds like a bad Star Trek episode ;)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

And the shiny CE edition turned up in the post today.

Okay, box is a little bigger then I realised it would be. And, visually..damn shiny.

Had the short run through of it , but decided to wait before I tear it all open.