SW: The Old Republic Part 2

Hurlshort

I started reading the Revan novel last night. I don't see what the drama was about, it's a very nice bridge between the two KotOR games. I was delighted to read an exchange between Atris and Revan early on. It's also doing a good job of setting the stage for TOR.

But I'm also not one to split hairs over how the Force works and all that. I'm just about a third of the way through it right now.

I started reading the Revan novel last night. I don't see what the drama was about, it's a very nice bridge between the two KotOR games. I was delighted to read an exchange between Atris and Revan early on. It's also doing a good job of setting the stage for TOR.

But I'm also not one to split hairs over how the Force works and all that. I'm just about a third of the way through it right now.

You have been assimilated.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Apparently, people found the portrayal of woman characters less than satisfactory.

Bastilia is now a stay-at-home baby mama. Revan wags his finger at Atris who responds by pouting and storming out. The only female leader immediately hands over her leadership to one of the heroes before being killed. In fact, all the major female characters die save for Bastilia.

Edited by Maria Caliban

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

Hm, are you sure Kevin J Anderson isn't involved ?

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

As an affirmed SWTOR and Star Wars EU hater (and all re-edits, y'know, it's probably easier to list likable Star Wars at this point), I don't want to defend it. That said, I am inclined to believe a blog that has a hate theme might be similarly biased.

Are other sources taking the same issue?

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Honestly, the excerpts I've read have been crap. It seems Mr. Karpshyn decided to write a tie-in directly after KotOR2 without actually playing KotOR2.

"The universe is a yawning chasm, filled with emptiness and the puerile meanderings of sentience..." - Ulyaoth

"It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built." - Kreia

"I thought this forum was for Speculation & Discussion, not Speculation & Calling People Trolls." - lord of flies

As an affirmed SWTOR and Star Wars EU hater (and all re-edits, y'know, it's probably easier to list likable Star Wars at this point), I don't want to defend it. That said, I am inclined to believe a blog that has a hate theme might be similarly biased.

The fact that the blogger compares it to Jim Butcher's work, and comments that Jim Butcher's is derivative of Laurel K Hamilton's Anita Blake series tends to make me highly suspicious on it on general principles alone...

Edit: And the hate really does flow the further you go..

Edited by Raithe

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

What did Luke do with Mara Jade when she was pregnant?

Oh... nearly killed her and let her keep flying around as a supa jedi in space ships while killing a string of poor sods.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

"The universe is a yawning chasm, filled with emptiness and the puerile meanderings of sentience..." - Ulyaoth

"I thought this forum was for Speculation & Discussion, not Speculation & Calling People Trolls." - lord of flies

You guys are dissecting this stuff like it is serious literature. I barely remember the main plot points of KotOR 2, and nothing I've read of the Revan novel feels out of place. Lighten up, it's Star Wars, it's about lightsabers and guns that go pew pew.

I don't remember spending much time in college literature classes studying trashy sci-fi novels, and I think there was a good reason for that.

You guys are dissecting this stuff like it is serious literature. I barely remember the main plot points of KotOR 2, and nothing I've read of the Revan novel feels out of place. Lighten up, it's Star Wars, it's about lightsabers and guns that go pew pew.

I don't remember spending much time in college literature classes studying trashy sci-fi novels, and I think there was a good reason for that.

That's the thing - KotOR2's writing does, indeed, far transcend "lightsabers and guns that go pew pew." If Karpshyn was not up to the task of continuing the rather serious take on the Star Wars universe that KotOR2 introduced, he should not have written a tie-in novel in its continuity.

There's not a lot of discussion about the handling of female characters.

The majority of the people reading this book seem to be men, so that's not surprising.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

Apparently, people found the portrayal of woman characters less than satisfactory.

Bastilia is now a stay-at-home baby mama. Revan wags his finger at Atris who responds by pouting and storming out. The only female leader immediately hands over her leadership to one of the heroes before being killed. In fact, all the major female characters die save for Bastilia.

am not gonna read the book, but on principal we would happily wishes apocalypse on any blog (or blogger) that focuses on the lack o' pro-feminism in a work. might as well slam Hemingway 'cause he didn't put strong female characters in the old man and the sea. yeah, we know this is the 21st century and you is expected to pander to all races, colors, creeds and sexes if you wanna be mainstream, but is disappointing to us even so. maybe the blogger in question can next read a streetcar named desire and slam 'cause blanche and stella is pushovers.

bah.

drew either does character good or he does bad-- gender should be an incidental factor.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

One or two people mention it here, and it isn't particularly well rated.

Somewhat amused that even the people who gave it a good rating made it sound pretty bad.

One or two people mention it here, and it isn't particularly well rated.

Somewhat amused that even the people who gave it a good rating made it sound pretty bad.

Hey, I'm not going to tout it as a strong piece of literature either. It's a pretty basic book. If you aren't into the games, I can't imagine why you would read it, actually. It's pulp fiction that gives a nice little background story on a video game.

Oner, I did notice you were dissecting the blog and I agree with your point. When I read that section of the book I didn't see any problem with the exchange. I haven't actually read the blog, it sounds a bit pretentious for my tastes.

edit: Looking over the thread, I think Oblarg is the only one dissecting this stuff.

Edited by Hurlshot

might as well slam Hemingway 'cause he didn't put strong female characters in the old man and the sea.

Yes, criticizing Dew Karpysan for his poor handling of his female characters, including the personality transplant on a pre-existing character, is the same as criticizing female characters in a short story by Hemmingway that has only one character.

drew either does character good or he does bad-- gender should be an incidental factor.

Says the dude. Someone who can expect a member of his gender to be the protagonist of almost every book, movie, and game out there.

Next up, rich folks tell us how money doesn't matter.

Next up, rich folks tell us how money doesn't matter.

If it mattered, would I be using a 100 dollar bill to light my cigars? I don't think I would.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

1. I am a woman.

2. I like to read about women playing with lightsabers and guns that go pew pew.

3. It's a book in which only men get to do the cool stuff. Women get to have the hero's kid or die.

That sucks.

Edited by Maria Caliban

1. I am a woman.

2. I like to read about women playing with lightsabers and guns that go pew pew.

3. It's a book in which only men get to do the cool stuff. Women get to have the hero's kid or die.

That sucks.

Maria - Try looking up the Liaden Universe books. The best description I've heard is "Star Wars meets Pride and Prejudice" :thumbsup:

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."