SW: The Old Republic Part 2

Hurlshort

Do you still have the same dynamic with tanks, heals, melee dps, and range dps?

I tanked through Arthas before the next xpac and then switched to healer.

If I could get enough mileage from the quests, then maybe I'd be able to take Hurlies advice and not get caught up in maintaining end game raiding skills and kit.

How does the game stack up agains WoW in terms of crafting and other non-combat stuff? I mean, I actually enjoyed crafting quite a bit, even stuff like fishing and cooking were a lot of fun. Hell, I would have left WoW even sooner if I hadn't had fun finding stuff using archaeology.

The fact that you can phase into your own separate instance area so you aren't competing with every other sorry bastard trying to kill the same three mobs is good news, but the overall talent trees sounds pretty much like WoW as far as I can tell. ...And will I be stuck in hours of theorycraft in order to be an effective [insert role here]?

Crafting is a bit..different I think.

The key trouble being, you have to select up to three "crew skills". One of which can be a crafting, but (and correct me if I'm wrong) I seem to remember hearing that you can only select one crafting skill. It works out at around six different "Crafting" skills in total, and a slew of non-crafting skills: Four "Gathering" skills, and Four "Mission" skills.

Basically as you wander around, you can send your companions off to do those things. So you don't directly craft stuff yourself, just have your minions do it for you.

Crafting skills are:

?Armormech

Edited by Raithe

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

I actually concentrated on the Mission skills for my beta weekend rather then get involved in crafting, so I can't really give you any personal feel for the crafting.

So to round it out, the Mission skills are:

?Diplomacy

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Also, the two sides classes, while named differently and using different animations, are exactly the same in terms of ability's damage and style. The only difference is (for the Consular/Inquisitor for example) wether you want to blast lightning or fling rocks.

But advanced classes from the same base class are mechanically different. A Consular can be a Sage, which specializes in flinging rocks or healing, or a Shadow, which is a stealth melee class that can tank.

I was referring more to the consular/inquisitor split.

a Consular can become a sage or shadow

An inquisitor can become a sorceror or assassin.

The shadow and assassin are effectively the same thing (just lightning vs throwing) and the Sorc and Sage are the same thing.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Hey guys, I've collected scientific evidence that you should never, ever play this game. Warning: spoilers, but seriously, nothing important.

Source: Leaked SWTOR script.

Vette: I'm done talking to you. Take the collar off or go away.

John Sith: I'll never take that collar off.

Vette: Fine. You know what? I'm getting used to it anyway. I might even buy a nice pair of matching boots.

John Sith: Do you enjoy this as much as I do? [shock Vette]

Vette: Okay, I can't take this anymore.

Vette: Look, I throw myself on your mercy or whatever.

Vette: Please, just please remove this collar.

John Sith : Let me see if I can find the right button. [shock Vette]

Vette: But I'm going to die from this. Don't you understand?

John Sith: Hardly seems lethal, does it? I could do this all day... [shock Vette]

Vette: I never knew evil was so petty until I met you.

John Sith: How is this? Better or worse? [shock Vette]

--LATER--

Vette: Okay, hey, Sith master person of questionable temper and such?

Vette: I've been extra good with the behaving. Did you notice?

Vette: So how about taking this shock collar off of me?

John Sith: How about some pain instead? [shock Vette]

Vette: How about some non-obedience sort of following directions? Like a person, instead of a pet?

John Sith: Looks like my pet still needs training. [shock Vette]

Vette: That hurts! Do you not get that?

John Sith: I enjoy this. [shock Vette]

Vette: Argh! You drekki-- no. I won't let you bait me. Lead on, I'll be following like a good slave.

John Sith: Learn to control your inane commentary and there will be less pain.

Vette: Fine, fine. lead on oh Sith of Siths. Far be it for this wretched slave to take up more of your time.

--STILL LATER--

Vette: So, hey, I've been thinking... maybe you want to take this shock collar off?

Vette: You know, as a sign of thanks for my hard work on Korriban?

Vette: Not that I don't enjoy the perpetual fear of electrocution.

John Sith: You will do as I say and not ask for favors.

Vette: Yeah, that's a real keen idea and all but what do I get out of it?

John Sith: Each day is a present from me to you. Be grateful.

Vette: Gee, thanks.

John Sith: I gave you a chance. You are a slow learner. [shock Vette]

Vette: Ow! Forget I said anything!

--LATER STILL-- (after you have to take the collar off)

Vette: Hey.

Vette: Don't worry. I'm not going to get silly again. I've had time to think.

Vette: It's not my place to judge why you're attracted to me. I just have to decide if you treat me like I want to be treated.

John Sith: We're not here for long discussions, Vette. You want to be my girl then you do what I say, when I say it.

Vette: Yeah. See? That fails the whole "treat me like I want to be treated" test. Fails bad.

John Sith: You're not the one setting the terms here.

Vette: You are in for a rude awakening, oh Lord of Mine.

John Sith: It doesn't have to be complicated. [Kiss Her]

Vette: Wow. Okay. Yes. That.

Vette: All right. More of that later. For now, um, back to business, yes?

--AFTER MUCH BULL**** COMPANION QUEST CRAP, IF YOU'VE EVER PLAYED A BIOWARE GAME YOU KNOW WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT--

Vette: Do you--do you love me?

John Sith: I like you. And there are things I love about you...

Vette: Right. Not so good with the bold statements. Believe me, I get it.

Vette: I need you to know... there haven't been any other men. Ever.

Vette: I promised my mother I'd be married first. About the only promise I managed to keep.

John Sith : We should express our love however we want. Societal rules are for other people.

Vette: I am other people. Not a Sith, not even Imperial. Just a girl.

Vette: So do you want to marry me? Yes or no?

John Sith Warrior: Sounds like it could be fun. Let's get ourselves married.

Vette: I guess that's the best I'm getting.

--LATER--

Vette: Okay, don't laugh. Some of the Twi'lek marriage ceremony stuff is pretty goofy but it'll only take a couple hours...

--EVER SO SLIGHTLY LATER--

Vette: There it is. Married.

John Sith: I behaved myself all the way through that crazy ceremony.

Vette: Very proud of you.

John Sith: Now that we're official I guess the romance will disappear pretty fast.

Vette: You are crazy. We still haven't gotten to the best part.

Vette: For now, things of galactic importance await as always, yes?

Vette: We should plan to clear the ship out for some private time soon.

Vette: Yes, send everyone out to find a Force-sensitive k'lor'slug or something.

--MAYBE A LITTLE BIT LATER--

John Sith: You wanted to talk?

Vette: More than talk. I told the crew to get lost for a few hours. Just you, me, and an empty ship.

John Sith: What were you thinking we might do in those hours, wife?

Vette: I might surprise you. I found my old shock collar the other day... come on.

--GRACEFUL FADE TO BLACK--

Vette: So worth the wait. We'll have to set aside a few hours every day...

Vette: Don't worry, I'll get Quinn to put it on your schedule.

Vette: Just so you know, I'm here for the long term.

Vette: Whether that means more apprentices in the future or us adopting our own little hoard.

Vette: Through apprentices trying to kill you and all the rest of the crazy, I'll be here.

is... is that script real?

nevermind, i don't really want to know.

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

is... is that script real?

nevermind, i don't really want to know.

http://bobcat.corruption-eu.com/XMLViewer-he801v1/Viewer.htm

I personally extracted it from here. You can check, it's under str / cnv / location / companion_characters / sith_warrior / vette / vette

Edited by lord of flies

It sounds like they skip things, like you taking the collar off and then doing companion quests. All in all, that's probably after about 100 hours of gameplay with that companion.

It's also pretty clear at some point the Mr. Sith flirted heavily to turn that relationship into a romance, which they seem to have left out. You also have to curry favor points with the companion to even get to that kind of point, so I doubt Mr. Sith was a total douche all the time to her.

If you want to marry Vette, you have to pick light side choices when she's around and be nice to her. It's the only way to get enough affection.

OR, you can be a total ****, torture her, and murder people indiscriminately as long as you ply her with companion gifts.

Choices and consequences. BioWare style.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

I can confirm that those are excerpts from the script, but I'd guess that it takes QUITE a bit of doing to get to the point where you're married. Particularly if you're being a sadistic torturer to her.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I've used the game launcher to update it , but alas, no "play" button for me at the moment...

I guess that's the system until early access kicks in, putting on the launcher to catch the updates in a semi-regular fashion until the final release is out...

And now they've done the announcement that all game testing will end this weekend. This upcoming Sunday at 23:59 cst.

Thats it, the game will be wrapped and on its way to finalisation..

And for the ultimate in geek points.. the guy who made a photomosaic of the TOR loading screen.. using screen shots of his time in Beta testing..

tor-mosaic.jpg

And for the ultimate in geek points.. the guy who made a photomosaic of the TOR loading screen.. using screen shots of his time in Beta testing..

All hail the Dork Lord of the Sith!

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

tor-mosaic.jpg

That's an odd juxtaposition of awesome and tragic.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.