Call of Duty

Cutlock

Call of Duty: The first FPS to challenge Valve and Half-Life.

Call of Duty 2: The first fail against Half-Life.

Call of Duty 3: So the Treyarch NGL does some good anyways.

Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare - The IW Engine at its finest manages to destroy Valve.

Call of Duty: World at War - My world was at its own war, because I found out Treyarch was making it.

Call of Duty: Modern warfare 2 - The IW Engine 4.0, so when is this engine going to die.

Call of Duty: Black Ops - Wow... it uses the IW 3.0... I'm guessing Treyarch is going their own way with the third iteration of the engine?

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 - You make a fourth iteration of this Infinity Ward, drop the Call of Duty or Metacritic is literally going to screw you...

So which CoD is the best?

Obviously Call of Duty 2: Big Red One.

CoD4 is better than anything that has come after it.

"The universe is a yawning chasm, filled with emptiness and the puerile meanderings of sentience..." - Ulyaoth

"It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built." - Kreia

"I thought this forum was for Speculation & Discussion, not Speculation & Calling People Trolls." - lord of flies

I loved CoD 4. I've finished Black Ops, but it just didn't have the same 'cool' factor.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Played CoD4 for 15 minutes and MW2 for about 25 minutes.

That shows you how much a fan of CoD I really am.

Are you an fps player, though? I mean, if you hate fpses in general, then your dislike of the CoD series means one thing. If you like them generally, then your dislike of the series means something quite different.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Played CoD4 for 15 minutes and MW2 for about 25 minutes.

That shows you how much a fan of CoD I really am.

Are you an fps player, though? I mean, if you hate fpses in general, then your dislike of the CoD series means one thing. If you like them generally, then your dislike of the series means something quite different.

Quite on the contrary, I love first-person shooters.

But CoD is just really a disgrace to the real potential this genre can represent.

My favorite "pure" FPS series still is Half-Life.

And then we have things like Deus Ex, Thief, System Shock etc. which are a mix-form or sub-genre which I also love to play.

Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare - The IW Engine at its finest manages to destroy Valve.

What? While CoD outsells Valve games, they have in no way destroyed them..

But anyway, the first 2 games where the best - after that they began to make console games and their IP went down the drain.

Fortune favors the bald.

What? While CoD outsells Valve games, they have in no way destroyed them..

But anyway, the first 2 games where the best - after that they began to make console games and their IP went down the drain.

I don't think he means the company, Ros. My take is that he means the game manages overcome the Valve games in terms of quality. It 'destroys' Valve in terms of the quality of gameplay rather than putting the company out of business.

Even so, I actually think I prefer Portal to either Half Life or Modern Warfare, although it's fairly short.

I've been playing these games since the first release of Castle Wolfenstein 3D and my biggest beef is probably the way they've become so limited by the confines of console technology, but I don't let that stop me from enjoying what I can get. I've thought about getting Rage lately. If I get anything new, it will probably fall down a choice between Rage and Skryim.

Obsidian Plays

Look at Doom, it did not dominate, but it started the FPS, it inspired. It inspired Half-Life, that made Half-Life and expansions dominate. That made Half-Life 2 game of the decade, the Orange Box cannot be beat, its obvious.

But who managed to beat Valve, Infinity Ward. That is what I meant.

If you don't like Half-Life 2 and you call yourself a FPS Fan, I will slap you in the face.

I've honestly preferred the Treyarch CoD games to the IW CoD games. The exception being CoD 3 if for no other reason than unskippable cutscenes. :down: World at War & Black Ops are my favorite in the series so far.

I thought Blops was quite a bit of fun (again, I don't do MP), but felt corridorey to me - i'm usually quite resistant to this, and haven't gotten it with the other CoDs I've played.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

I never finished Modern Warfare on Veteran because of the one mission where you have to protect your fellow sniper. Someone told me once that you don't actually protect him. You just dump him off in a corner and get into the most defensible position to protect yourself. Now, if I could just find the disc, I could finish veteran. :sorcerer:

Obsidian Plays

Ah yes, that mission. Amazing the Russians had an army left after that mission.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

If the Russians wanted they could infiltrate New York and control it, and guess what? Nobody would know about it.

Of course in Call of Duty they would try and blow the thing up.

If the Russians wanted they could infiltrate New York and control it, and guess what? Nobody would know about it.

Well its your own fault for expecting CoD to have a plausible plot.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

entrerix rundown on fps games of the past whenever:

i liked 4 and modern warfare 2, tried playing world at war after finishing modern warfare 2 and decided i wouldn't ever buy another call of duty game (yes it really was that awful)

loved doom 1 and 2

loved dark forces

really liked goldeneye and perfect dark

loved half life

i haven't liked any halo game

half life 2 was a life changing experience

i didn't like gears of war

i loved rainbow six: vegas

battlefield 2 was great

battlefield: bad company 2 was not very good

portal was amazing

portal 2 was really good

does max payne count as an fps? cause the first one was super cool

im guessing i should leave out deus ex and system shock 2, even though those are tops (along with fallout new vegas) in my book

definitely looking forward to half life 3

yeah, no one wanted this information, but now you have it anyway.

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

I didn't really care for World At War either.

If I had to pick a favorite, I'd probably go with Modern Warfare. That's because Wetwork is one of my favorite maps.

I should note that I don't bother playing the campaigns. I'm more of a multiplayer kind of guy.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

i should note that i dont play multiplayer, except on battlefield 2, obviously.

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Well its your own fault for expecting CoD to have a plausible plot.

Yeah, Modern Warfare wasn't plausible but the Russians taking over New York.... :Cant's shaking his head in bemusement icon:

I still love the game, but shooters just aren't meant to be the soul of realism, although Rainbow Six and some of the less forgiving ones do come closer than others.

enterix shows his age, but he doesn't remember Wolfenstein 3D it seems.

As an aside, does anyone remember the ol' skool Castle Wolfenstein games? Claassic stuff, I tells ya.

EDIT: I would accept Max Payne. I loved the games. I even did all of the secret stuff in Max Payne 2. I've thought of going back and doing the first one on all the settings to get the goodies, but no time right now. Someday.

Edited by Cantousent

Obsidian Plays