Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Gorth

I just don't get it. The lore and setting of Skyrim is interesting, but the 'story' is just so bland again. Character have glimpses of being interesting, but just aren't given enough time, they just don't care about these parts of an RPG. Still I'm enjoying my play through with a werewolf PC, even if the roar is over powered.

Ulrich bring a Thalmor spy was a groin kick, I'm guessing though given he's not declared king during the game, the moot will be DLC where the PC can stop his ascension to the throne, also betting the PC will/can become Emperor of the empire due to his dragon blood.

cylon_basestar_eye.gif

I'm digging the MQ so far, I just met the Greybeards' leader and enjoyed the twisty lore usage, definitely starting to feel burnout on the game though, it's the never ending fetch quest syndrome that's typical of TES games.

Character blandness is also an issue but I've learnt to suck it down over the years, there were only a handful of cool characters in Morrowind and you had to play for months to meet them all.

I'll be playing this game for years but I'm definitely looking forward to a break in Arkham City, even if I just found it uses G4WL and the DX11 release is broken :lol:

Does anyone know how to get dual wielding to work. I got it working by accident by hot grouping stackable daggers (must be same type, same effects and it must be daggers and there must be more than two in the stack) I could switch back between bows and spells and the daggers would still be there.

Now I can't repeat it though.

Yeah I'm also getting tired of the game. A break is in order I think.

Edited by Gorgon

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

I think it's impossible to setup a quick button for _two_ weapons (or two of anything really).

You can either select both through the inventory, by using different mouse buttons.

Or, when switching from a two-handed weapon to a one-handed weapon via the quick buttons, the game remembers what you had in the other hand (the one not tied to the quick button).

I was able to use two weapons from the favorites menu during a short period when I used Honed Falmer Swords. But when I started using Daedric Sword (Legendary) it broke.

If you've done it before and it ceases to work later, it may be related to the specific items used.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

They can be different.. Just put one in the left hand and the other in the right - favorite the left hand weapon - and voila now you can switch between dual and bow via the quick menu.

That's ruined by selective a spell as left hand. I had it working completely. I could clear everything and still have the dual daggers come back.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

They can be different.. Just put one in the left hand and the other in the right - favorite the left hand weapon - and voila now you can switch between dual and bow via the quick menu.

That's ruined by selective a spell as left hand. I had it working completely. I could clear everything and still have the dual daggers come back.

You could add your left hand weapon to your favorites.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

I haven't played since I last posted about a week or so ago. I am debating whether I should switch out my heavy armor, two-hander PC for a light armor, backstabber.

I wouldn't say I'm burnt out, but I am a bit over-whelmed. In a normal RPG, I can do almost every quest and sub-quest given to me. In Skyrim, I just more and more quests piled on me. I never get that sense of having completed an area or chapter and it bothers me after awhile.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

I started a new game. Well... I started two new games. I started one and realized that my Briton had half the magic of my Elf, so I started again as an elf. As much as possible, I want to smite stuff with magic.

What I don't get is who the Thalmor are? Folks seem to call them elves, but if they hate the Thalmor as much as they say, and the Thalmor are elves, then shouldn't they hate me? Since I didn't get that far on my first run, I should be in the same spot very quickly. I'm thinking I'll stick to the destruction branch but put my offspec into enchating this time. ...Or does anyone have a suggestion as to a good offspec for a destruction mage?

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

I tried out the white water rapids going down the side of a mountain. It was fun. Just make sure you keep your head above the water and try not to sustain damage from your fall.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

In Markath, I saw a dog wander into a Thalamor's path. The Thalamore said, 'stupid dog,' and killed it.

That's right. Just in case you didn't get that they're villains. The Thalamor are dog murderers.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

In Markath, I saw a dog wander into a Thalamor's path. The Thalamore said, 'stupid dog,' and killed it.

That's right. Just in case you didn't get that they're villains. The Thalamor are dog murderers.

That's fairly stupid, heavy-handed and makes no sense considering their (bat-**** crazy, but probably right considering it's the TES setting) ideology, but I haven't encountered that scene luckily. But yeah, a lot of the situations seem to be set up by a team of writers that is far superior to the designers that actualized them in the game world.

Perhaps a bit too disoriented before bed to understand the whole of what you're saying, but I get that the Thal(a?)more are over the top evilish villains in this game. I just don't recall them from Morrowind and Oblivion. Still, it's interesting to get some of the lore. I guess, if it piques my interest enough, I'll just look up the setting and read up on it. In the meantime, it doesn't seem to have much impact on my high elf mage. I'm almost to level 5 again. Not playing too quickly, clearly, but still having some fun.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Perhaps a bit too disoriented before bed to understand the whole of what you're saying, but I get that the Thal(a?)more are over the top evilish villains in this game. I just don't recall them from Morrowind and Oblivion. Still, it's interesting to get some of the lore. I guess, if it piques my interest enough, I'll just look up the setting and read up on it. In the meantime, it doesn't seem to have much impact on my high elf mage. I'm almost to level 5 again. Not playing too quickly, clearly, but still having some fun.

TES V is about 200 years after TES IV.

In the mean time, the empire suffered from oblivion gates and the Thalmor was created (or recreated) by high elves to "unit" the elven nations. They made an Anschluss of the Bosmer country and annexed Elsweyr (certainly advocating there were Altmer minorities in Elsweyr) and attacked the falling empire. After a a war, there has been a ceased fire between the empire and the Thalmor and the Thalmor imposed their conditions (theological and strategical) : the empire would no more consider Talos as a god (a human god is not consdered respectful of the Thalmer superiority ideology) and the Thalmor would install military bases in the empire.

Thalmor are racists in essence (they consider it's the right and responsability of meres to rule the other races), considering humans are like savages and meres beeing superior to humans (with of course altmers being above all other meres).

The Thalmor weren't mentioned much in previous games as they were long gone, the new Thalmor are up to the same tricks and I assumed they were the ones kickstarting the apocalypse, I'm not far enough into the MQ to be sure though. One of their aims is the complete removal of man from the pattern of possibility, meaning they wanted to reboot the whole of creation (which happens when Alduin comes) without mankind, removing the man god Talos is crucial to that goal.

I got to level 32 last night, 100 hours in, levelling is slowing down now thank god, I'm starting to wish I'd gone for dual wielding as all the cool swords so far have been one handed, still, my two handed ebony sword puts most things down with a satisfying thud :)

That reminds me of the faked Radiant AI promo for Oblivion from way back :*

Edited by WDeranged

The Thalmor persecute anyone who disagrees with their mantra, including High Elves.

I'm currently running through the College of Winterhold and it's pretty interesting. I can see it's different for non-mage characters, though, since they will most likely miss out on the Ritual quests. The main storyline is interesting too, though, lore-wise since you get to know more about Saarthal.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Level 33 and still stomping around getting things done, though the list of open quests is now down to a dozen or so after some ferocious wrapping up. Enjoying how each area of Skyrim is 'themed' by a particular conflict, e.g. the variations of the forsworn conflict around Markarth, though obviously with Bethesda there's no moral dilemmas or difficult choices to be found. Also enjoyed the part of the main quest where you

infiltrate the Thalmor embassy

, quite fun stuff - even if they had to spoil it with a scripted "A-HA" at the end (that you can't avoid because

the key to the escape hatch is on the body of one of the guards.

)

Master is still quite hard and in many cases, the only way for my character to survive is go around snapping as many necks as possible with Mehrunes' Razor + 30x backstab - although I only have 1 perk on One-Handed and my skill remains 49. Open field archery is getting difficult because enemies are pretty hefty in areas, though there still remains differentiation. Seems like the way dungeons in particular were level-scaled is that everyone IS level-scaled, but by and large, no matter what level you are some enemies will be very challenging while other ones will be a walkover, opening up more tactical options. And of course they get better quality weapons, but not armour, so they don't look utterly stupid with daedric bandits, etc. Yet to see how it pans out at even higher levels but I think it's OK. I accept that with something as huge as Skyrim complete hand-crafted would be a mission.

The Daedra quests are pretty cool, though I wonder if there are any future repercussions to currying favour with them - I expect not, but would be cool if there were.

Level 52...I'm going to sleep for a while now :blink: Will probably dream of Fos Rah Dah'bing some bandits or something.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif