Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Gorth

my destruction and axe wielding orc just finished the main quest. it was... not super great. i'm probably never going to complete the main quest with another character again though, so it was nice to do once. i was on level 29, using legendary dragonplate and a legendary daedric war axe, with frost cloak as my left hand spell. using the orc "berserk" ability made the final boss very easy.

so far i've completed the questlines for the companions and the main quest, and not really liked either one. hopefully the thieves guild, mages guild, and dark brotherhood questlines are better

if not, i can always just do random quests and adventuring, the world itself is fun to roam around, and exploring doesnt feel useless like in oblivion, though its not quite as much fun as exploring in fallout3/new vegas was

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Either Beth or Steam (no one's quite sure yet it seems) released a tiny patch that updates the .exe file so it can no longer be run by clicking directly on the .exe (thus bypassing Steam). Ppl were doing that to bypass launcher crashes and tweak-y stuff like make the game use more RAM or something.

Anyway, since then some say they have unplayable CTD's and launcher breakage etc....don't know if that's the majority or a minority, but...yeah, if you're having problems, could be related to that. If you can get to it, try a verify game cache routine?

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Either Beth or Steam (no one's quite sure yet it seems) released a tiny patch that updates the .exe file so it can no longer be run by clicking directly on the .exe (thus bypassing Steam). Ppl were doing that to bypass launcher crashes and tweak-y stuff like make the game use more RAM or something.

Anyway, since then some say they have unplayable CTD's and launcher breakage etc....don't know if that's the majority or a minority, but...yeah, if you're having problems, could be related to that. If you can get to it, try a verify game cache routine?

Yeah I noticed this, it's a bit of a hassle as the Large Address Aware switch has definitely fixed a few crash/texture loading issues I had, I kept a backup of the old exe so it's fine for now...

I don't think that I am able to finish the game. My initial impression of it was pretty good, but by now I have made so many lulzy quests with silly dialogue, that I just can't stand it anymore. If I must do yet another "go far away from your current location and bring some item"-quest, I will most likely go rampage in Skyrim. For me it's over since I became a barde with the barde questline... it felt just so unbelievable and stupid to me. Same with other quests from which most of them are sending me far away, always.

Hey, Skyrim is pretty much the best Bethesda rpg that I've played in a while! ...But when it comes to quest design, it's just not kicking it for me.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Great, the game must have patched / tried to patch without me knowing, and now Skyrim.exe is gone.

Thank you Steam.

stuff like that is the reason i leave steam in offline mode

also: does anyone know or have a link to how i can change some small stuff in the skyrim perk settings? i want to change the level requirements on a few perks to better balance some of the trees.

if its too complicated or will break the ui then i can just be patient till the toolset is released and do it from there (im assuming it will be as easy as modding perks in new vegas - i ended up making and modding tons of perks for that game, very fun)

Edited by entrerix

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

too bad, i was hoping i could just do some ini edits or something, i don't have any real skill with modding stuff though, so i'm not about to muck around with anything tricky.

im sure the creation kit will be out in 3-4 weeks. i can wait that long i guess. I wish the kit was just released alongside the game though.

Great, the game must have patched / tried to patch without me knowing, and now Skyrim.exe is gone.

Thank you Steam.

:)

That happened to me once with FNV.

im sure the creation kit will be out in 3-4 weeks. i can wait that long i guess. I wish the kit was just released alongside the game though.

I'm hoping for a couple weeks. But I'm not holding my breath.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Do more dragons spawn as the main quest progresses? The only dragons I've killed were at the dragon markers on the map (mountain tops). I've only killed 4 out in the wild.

I have too many words that need to be unlocked but find no dragons to kill (and I realize I will probably regret saying this).

Edited by virumor

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

i think it took 6 weeks before beth released the fallout 3 kit, so im expecting the same for this game too.

they probably are trying to force people to play the vanilla game for a while before letting people make improvements

Do more dragons spawn as the main quest progresses? The only dragons I've killed were at the dragon markers on the map (mountain tops). I've only killed 4 out in the wild.

I have too many words that need to be unlocked but find no dragons to kill (and I realize I will probably regret saying this).

Yes, more dragons spawn. I've already killed around two dozens of dragons. Biggest one were two ancient dragons.

Also, you can get back to previous draagon markers on the map, the dragon there respawn frequently (which is kinda weird since the main idea behind the dragon born is that they give the final death).

stuff like that is the reason i leave steam in offline mode

also: does anyone know or have a link to how i can change some small stuff in the skyrim perk settings? i want to change the level requirements on a few perks to better balance some of the trees.

if its too complicated or will break the ui then i can just be patient till the toolset is released and do it from there (im assuming it will be as easy as modding perks in new vegas - i ended up making and modding tons of perks for that game, very fun)

You can try to create the larger, hidden .ini file and muck around with that. But you need to be careful with it, of course. I remember doing this in FNV, tho I never tried to alter the stuff in it since for that game I already had the editor. I probably won't muck with this one either, unless they get the vanity-cam to not work...tho getting rid of those logo loads would be nice, heh.

Thread: http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php?/topi...ntresting-read/

Edit: I don't know if anything about Perks is actually in it, either....you'd have to find out yourself.

Edited by LadyCrimson

You could give yourself the perk by creating a txt file (called perk for instance) with player.addperk -whateveritis- .. ingame you write "bat perk" in the console and then spend your extra lvl up perk on something you know you won't use so you aren't cheating. This doesn't affect achivements etc, that's how I've been doing it. You can finde the perk id here.

Fortune favors the bald.

I've enjoyed the little bit I've played so far, but I don't feel any attachment to the quests at all. One particular quest I did was more brutal than the rest, though. I'm playing on expert and my full blown mage had to kill off the leader of these little gollum looking bastards who can cast spells. I had to get really tricky with the scenery to knock off the head honcho. I also killed one of those old dwarvish constructs and got some sweet loot. I shamelessly took advantage of the environment with him and he was a hell of a lot easier than that falmer gloomwhatzits guy. Overall, the game seems to be progressing quickly. I've played up to level six. It's no FO3/New Vegas, but it's an okay game. I don't mind spending the money on it.

There are two main gripes I have. No flying, which I loved in Morrowind. I hate the interface generally and the dialogue trees specifically. Of course, the dialogue itself doesn't help.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Enjoying it so far. The game has some pretty locales and it's very atmospheric. What this game could really use is deeper character interaction in the style of a Bio/Obsidian rpg. it would damn near be perfect.

For those who played more that me: Is there any point for taking henchmen with you (aside from as pack mules)? Do they get any more dialog and story?

Also: Stormcloaks or Legion?

Edited by Fighter

I became Thane of Markarth, Whiterun, Falkreath, Solitude, Morthal and Dawnstar. Morthal was a backwater as expected, but I expected more from Dawnstar.

I joined the Legion because I wasn't impressed by Ulfric ****cloak. He's a major pansy and dumb as a brick, while Tullius and Rikke are pretty badass.

I joined the Legion because I wasn't impressed by Ulfric ****cloak. He's a major pansy and dumb as a brick, while Tullius and Rikke are pretty badass.

I joined the Stormcloaks because I could identify with the Nords wanting freedom.. they are basically my fantasy setting ancestors.

Then of course I found out that Ulfric was a Thalmor spy..

Fortune favors the bald.

I can't identify with any of these. The Stormcloak dudes - or at least their "king" - seem to be ****, while the Legion dudes are **** too.. just remember the beginning of the game: "Hey, he is not on our list!" - "Who cares, kill him anyway!"

If it would be me, I would kill them all. Just sad the game doesn't allow it.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

I joined the Stormcloaks because I could identify with the Nords wanting freedom.. they are basically my fantasy setting ancestors.

Then of course I found out that Ulfric was a Thalmor spy..

That was to be expected, though. Some in-game books make it clear how the Thalmor are evil masterminds whose plans take centuries to unfold. They removed the moons for two years only to have Elsweyr defect, and possibly even were responsible for the eruption of Red Mountain.