Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Gorth

I think they made a mistake with the fast travel. You should only be able to fast travel to the major cities once you had discovered them, and beyond safehavens nowhere else.

I'm waiting on a Morrowind fast travel mod, it'd be nice for someone to expand the coaches to smaller towns and add a few NPC captains to the unused boats, I could totally play this game without fast travel.

I don't know. I felt all the running back and forth Morrowind required was only excusable because of how great the atmosphere was - and even then, if you walked for 15 minutes then got killed by a cliff racer, #@#*(&$.

Abusing FT too much really ruins the game though, because you essentially plop yourself down in the middle of a totally disconnected piece of landscape. It's impossible to get immersion because you're not exploring, you're just running through a series of disconnected, self-contained maps like you would in counter-strike multiplayer or something. I tend to run around everywhere on foot, then use FT once I'm not seeing anything new in the area.

It's tough though. I *love* walking around in the TES gameworlds at the start, discovering things, starting up the quests and so forth. But it becomes troublesome when you get further into the questlines, and the "drama" escalates. Especially once you've been around the world a few times and it's like... Well, I'm in Riften now and need to get to Markarth. It's just not that interesting to wander that distance *again* and then back again. The world gets old-hat after a while, and when that sets in my interest drops like a rock.

New Vegas for example is a game that I've completely many times now. But there inevitably comes a point where I just say 'screw this' and start the fast-traveling. Once you've been back and forth across a particular area it's just boring to go again.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

It's tough though. I *love* walking around in the TES gameworlds at the start, discovering things, starting up the quests and so forth. But it becomes troublesome when you get further into the questlines, and the "drama" escalates. Especially once you've been around the world a few times and it's like... Well, I'm in Riften now and need to get to Markarth. It's just not that interesting to wander that distance *again* and then back again. The world gets old-hat after a while, and when that sets in my interest drops like a rock.

New Vegas for example is a game that I've completely many times now. But there inevitably comes a point where I just say 'screw this' and start the fast-traveling. Once you've been back and forth across a particular area it's just boring to go again.

I usually start Fast traveling as soon as its available. shrug-1.gif

*New Vegas really annoyed me though... There is some condition (Crippled leg perhaps, or Overloaded) that prohibits Map Travel ~at least in HC mode (not sure about standard play).

It amounts to deliberately withholding Map travel at a time when Map travel is especially desired. bonk.gif

~~~~~~~~~~

I was watching Skyrim gameplay today (on a podcast), and noticed two odd things. One was that the man playing could not drop an item carried in third person (You know how it just floats in front of your PC when picked up). Changing to FPP allowed it to drop.

Second was that Opponents and the PC didn't seem to react to getting hit. They just beat on the PC and took his hits like it was a Nerf toy he was swinging.

*Is that a detail setting perhaps? (were it set for a low-spec machine).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Bucket Trick: [skyrim]

rotfl.gif

Edited by Gizmo

Second was that Opponents and the PC didn't seem to react to getting hit. They just beat on the PC and took his hits like it was a Nerf toy he was swinging.

You can't make the hero react to hits as the player is always outnumbered and would be constantly stun-locked.

Oblivion occasionally induced some form of stagger on the player and it was annoying as hell.

I'm using the above UI now, as well as an alternative font (which makes a huge improvement to the whole We Copy Apple UI art style).

You can't make the hero react to hits as the player is always outnumbered and would be constantly stun-locked.

Oblivion occasionally induced some form of stagger on the player and it was annoying as hell.

I should think its the risk of fighting when outnumbered ~Don't if you can't handle more than one**; But The opponents don't react either, they looked like stiff animatronics going through their motions.

**Perks could be used to add stun resistance (or better... additional evasive animations reflecting greater skill at combat.) I see nothing wrong with permanent stun lock if the PC is attacked by several opponents... Its what would happen. shrug-1.gif

Edited by Gizmo

There are some instances where you are stunned or disoriented - e.g. the ground shock of a giant's attack, enemy power attacks. But yes, melee combat I always felt was rather dull in MW/OB/Skyrim.

I should think its the risk of fighting when outnumbered ~Don't if you can't handle more than one

Then you run into the problem that any kind of fighter build becomes completely dependent on proper monster pulling.

There are already far too many action-rpgs where one monster is a joke but two or more mean certain death.

Maybe one day the devs will start to write some kind of group AI.

Until then they will easily get by with properly adjusted cheating.

96% destruction mana reduction on Legendary Daedric Armor. My current strongest spell is an AOE that costs 4 mana. I am level 32.

I think I might need to turn the difficulty up now.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Finally found a two handed weapon that feels right, I got an ebony longsword while completing the Potema quest (very good fun) so I buffed it up at a forge, finally learnt some enchantments and gave it some fire damage, I named her The Black Mamba ;)

I'd been using a hammer that I thought was pretty cool as it transferred the enemy's stamina to me but it took way too many soul gems to power, Black Mamba cuts down most low level enemies in one strike and takes ages to run out of soul juice.

I find it lame that you can kill your joinables. I killed two of them so far by accident. That's what happens when you are in close quarters melee fighting. Now I have Lydia tagging along. Hopefully she won't accidentally get in the way.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Then you run into the problem that any kind of fighter build becomes completely dependent on proper monster pulling.

And that's alright, at least on higher difficulty settings. I be able to pull, perch, CC (crowd control) correct numbers of mobs is one of those things that require skill and/or understanding game mechanics. This is why nearly all MMOGs use this mechanic and even create classes / skill sets just for that job.

Let's play Alpha Protocol

My misadventures on youtube.

I quite like the killable companions, NPC buffs and heals finally have a purpose in an Elder Scrolls game ;)

It can be a hassle though, I've definitely hacked Lydia to the ground a few times now.

*edit*

Just found a new mod that lets you edit the compass, I'd been using a simple mod to remove all compass markers but this one lets me just remove undiscovered ones, joy :p

Edited by WDeranged

96% destruction mana reduction on Legendary Daedric Armor. My current strongest spell is an AOE that costs 4 mana. I am level 32.

How did you get such a high %? It seems no matter what I do, my enchantments are always really weak. I'm still low level though, I guess I just need a really high skill, lots of perks, and better soul gems?

As a side note, is there reason to wear armor on mages or not?

Better protection obviously and if you have a high enchanting skill then the armor becomes just as good as a robe, but with better protection.

Fortune favors the bald.

I should think its the risk of fighting when outnumbered ~Don't if you can't handle more than one**; But The opponents don't react either, they looked like stiff animatronics going through their motions.

**Perks could be used to add stun resistance (or better... additional evasive animations reflecting greater skill at combat.) I see nothing wrong with permanent stun lock if the PC is attacked by several opponents... Its what would happen. shrug-1.gif

Opponents stagger from power attacks quite often; normal attacks don't do much.

The PC can also stagger, but the effect isn't that big I think. Enemies can definitely interrupt your power attacks though.

Not for a pure mage. The Mage armour perks make armour spells 3 times as powerful + robes give benefits of mana regeneration.

Armour, smithing & enchanting skills take either too long to level or some ridiculous munchkining to be effective.

Edited by virumor

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

How did you get such a high %? It seems no matter what I do, my enchantments are always really weak. I'm still low level though, I guess I just need a really high skill, lots of perks, and better soul gems?

Yes. I have > 80 skill and all the relevant perks. And I still used a potion that improved enchanting, otherwise I would only be at 92%.

Keep in mind it took 4 enchants, one ring, one necklace, armor, and helm. 24% each.

Being able to wear armor is the big benefit of enchanting for mages. I can't say the armor is helping a whole heck of a lot, I rarely get hit. But it's a nice precaution.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."