Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Gorth

I've done part of the main quest and a couple of minor quests. I've been exploring the game world mostly and I'm level 16 and haven't done much of anything quest wise.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Apparently for some reason the
heightmaps are in Skyrim, curious.

Hmm that's interesting, there's even a rough model of the imperial tower. DLCs perhaps? They've certainly made enough money to actually implement 2/3 of Tamriel. :)

Fortune favors the bald.

Imagine you can import oblivion & morrowind into Skyrim for one epic monster of a game

Well all the audio and stats are there in the previous games.. So wait about 2-3 years for mods to have made everything from caves to cities and then port it all into a massive mod. >_<

They did it for Fallout Vegas where you could travel to D.C and since Oblivion is essentially the same engine I think a crafty modder should be able to do it.

Hmm, it seems like you could go to

in Oblivion as well - so maybe they just add the surrounding areas in case players wander off or something.

Fortune favors the bald.

I finally started the MQ proper, went to High Hrothgar which was cool but the epic view is somewhat spoiled by the engine limitations, I loved the introduction of the Blades though,

especially how they rickroll you with a note after trawling through that dungeon.

>_<

Seeing

Alduin resurrecting the dragon near Kynesgrove

was also very cool, I'd seen those mounds dotted around and it was fun to have my suspicions confirmed.

I only just found out you can sell stolen goods to the Khajiit traders, which makes complete sense but for some reason I never thought about it.

So far I'm thinking this is a better game than Morrowind, the lore and story are almost as good but I doubt I'll be pondering over hidden meanings for very long after, the Nords are far more blunt than the Dunmer, which is appropriate.

One thing I do miss is water walking, seems like a strange thing to remove, they also cut underwater combat now that I think about it...

Edited by WDeranged

At level 38, I feel really powerful, even without a not so powergamer build (heavy armor, smithing, one hand weapon, enchant, stealth). Well, of course, at this level, I have the equipment associated with it and it's pretty efficient (ebony mail and mace of molag bal, enchanted dragon armor parts).

But, yeah, even with this power, at some moment I still need to be a bit careful.

Is it confirmed that you can use the 'showracemenu' command to change your character's appearance without breaking the game, it would break certain things in Oblivion. I gave my character very light blue eyes, and the texture goes off after about 20 minuites, it looks really horrible. She has 1,5 pupils of varying colour.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

Showracemenu's main problem is it resets your stats in crazy ways as well. I played around with it early on but Oblivion's tilde+ESC combo to bypass this does not work, so I just started a new character. No doubt somebody will find a way to make it work, though.

I've also been pretty happy with level scaling. I'm level 24 now and I'm finding that in areas nearer the center I still come across new dungeons where I can happily one-shot people with sneak+bow or they're low level enough I can cast fury on all of them and watch them duke it out. Whereas it looks like some areas use animals as a natural deterrence - e.g.

cave bears in The Rift area

. I can't say for sure until I experiment with different characters, but for now that seems quite nice.

i used to enjoy the level scaling in skyrim, then i took an arrow in the knee.

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

The generic dragons haven't been that hard. Until I met up with a blood dragon, that was a little bit harder to kill since it did most of its attacks from the air. I'm mostly a melee fighter so my bow didn't do much damage. I had to wait until it decided to land on the ground and fight me.

I like the dwarven ruins. Since I don't know the Elder Scrolls lore, what happened to the dwarven race?

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Turns out I was wrong about water walking, phew :)

I did a good dungeon tonight, it was a haunted barrow that the townspeople were afraid of, it didn't seem to have an associated quest but I dived in and solved the mystery,

a Dunmer trickster

, eventually though I hit one of those dragon claw puzzles and with no claw I resigned myself to the chance of finding it later, or maybe not.

So I return to the town just on the offhand chance that I can mention at least something about the haunting

and to my surprise the inn keeper hands me the claw as a reward

Of course a moment later his sister comes in and he launches into a rant about how he's told her not to go near that barrow because of the eeeevil within...damn it Bethesda :skeptical:

I like the dwarven ruins. Since I don't know the Elder Scrolls lore, what happened to the dwarven race?

That's a very good question and it's the main reason I played Morrowind :)

I've stopped the main quest just after meeting the grey beard (or something like that) so I can't say.

After level 30 something, you can see ancient dragons that are not that hard but at about the same difficulty of a level 20 against blood dragons.

With a melee character, the tactic against dragon to avoid too many air attacks seems to flee from combat up to going to a point sufficiently large to allow a dragon to land on. Then, the fight becomes very easy.

The civil war seems to be given at least as much time as the dragons, if not more, all the factional stuff weaves together really nicely so far.

Seems I was wrong about the Khajiit being fences though, unless there's some specific condition I'm missing, could have sworn it worked yesterday :(

On the subject of dragon difficulty I was attacked by two of them in Morthal, it was complete murder and I had to run away, level 25.

Level 25. Finally visited Windhelm, not bad but there doesn't seem to be a lot of things to do here. Maybe I'll find out more - I wonder if I need to advance the MQ to get civil war stuff going.

Killed a dragon when it came down in Winterhold and it was more effort to run away. Dragons are boring as hell. They're not scary - a sabre cat is more lethal. They take ages flying around and around. They give no sense of accomplishment because it's just wait, fire bow/magic, repeat. Maybe it'll be slightly better with melee characters, but... as usual, the most hyped part of a game is the stupidest.

as usual, the most hyped part of a game is the stupidest.

I kind of agree, I've had some epic fights but most dragons go down too easily once they're on the ground, I've also had incidences of them flying upside down and through mountains :(

Two dragons is definitely too much for me though, unless I wanted to use every potion/scroll I had, which was a lot.

for some reason, enemy mages are the most dangerous thing i've been encountering, it just takes two or three spells to wipe out my character (with his heavy armor and 300 health...) i can take two hits from a giant, but only 3 spells from a high level mage...

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

for some reason, enemy mages are the most dangerous thing i've been encountering, it just takes two or three spells to wipe out my character (with his heavy armor and 300 health...) i can take two hits from a giant, but only 3 spells from a high level mage...

That's a reason all my melee characters in TES are Bretons. Magic resistance rocks. Also, doing the Peryite daedric quest helps a lot in those fights : spellbreaker is a shield that allows you to block part of the spell damages you receive.

Dragons do take forever to get to the point. flapping about, attacking everything else but you. I'd say the real danger is straying into a pack of bears while you are straffing to avoid the breath weapon. I've taken to just running away from them, or herding them into a bandit hold. That ususally keeps them occupied long enough for me to make my getaway.

Edited by Gorgon

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

Give them a cup of FUS-RO-DAH.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.