Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Gorth

Start of old thread

End of old thread

I might get this game some day, but I've still got a humongous backlog that needs catching up. Maybe a patch and a few DLC's from now :(

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Finished the tutorial. Can't see what all the whining was all about, it was pretty decent to me. Though I had the impression my character was immortal when

Alduin started fire-bombing the place. I spent around five minutes standing around, my character made grunts but her HP never decreased.

Spell effects are damn awesome. UI is an annoying oversized PIPBoy vehicle that gets in my face everytime.

And finally, Imperials are jerks that all need to die.

Edited by virumor

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Based on screens/vids only, I don't think I'll have a problem w/the big UI text. I remember ppl having issues with inventory text/page size in Oblivion too. Never bothered me. Can understand big text for consoles w/ppl wanting to sit far away but it would be nice tho if they'd shrink it down for the pc versions. Guess that's why they give us the editor. :) Which I still can't download/isn't available. :(

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

It's not as big as it was in Oblivion.

Trying to make player.showracemenu work so I can refiddle the character's face. The old save trick doesn't seem to work.

Not playing still cause chkdsk is taking forever...but stupid question...

Can you all run the game w/out Steam running at all (not even in task tray) by clicking the .exe file? I saw some people say you could, but I've never been able to. I don't let Steam run on boot up tho, maybe that's why?

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Interesting, thanks. Hm. Wonder why it's never worked for me in any other game. When I click on .exe's I get the 'login to steam' window. Will be curious if it works on Skyrim or if it'll still pull up Steam.

Hmm....

Just started playing, however, for one, the sound is hard to hear, have to turn it up pretty load, but the big issue is sometimes the dialogue will go fuzzy for a quick second, skipping the voice over, but then go back to normal. Does anyone have same issue, or know what may be my problem?

Finally done, started the game.....

(edit) nvm on the fraps thing, figured it out.

Edited by LadyCrimson

Much, much better than Oblivion. Runs better than Oblivion as well despite looking great.

I feel as though I've missed important backstories because I never played all the way through Oblivion. Why did the elves demand the worship of Talos be outlawed during the White-Gold Treaties? It seems like a major precurser to what's going on, but the game hasn't explained it at all.

And did something happen to Morrowind?

Edited by Maria Caliban

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

I've skipped several of the past few big titles, but I might get Skyrim. I'm just waiting for some of the folks on this board to give a thumbs up before I get this one.

Hell, I still haven't bought Dragon Age 2 or Dungeon Siege 3.

Edited by Cantousent

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

I'm going to skip Skyrim untill few patches and some Steam sale but I'd certainly like to see some good "Let's play" videos. If anyone finds good no deaths, hard (or whatever the max may be in Skyrim) difficulty, let me know :(

Been following Linus117 run on youtube and easy difficulty certainly makes it a very boring video.

-edit-

Found

(master difficulty). Have to check if player is skilled at all :) Edited by Niten_Ryu

Let's play Alpha Protocol

My misadventures on youtube.

Just got accepted into the Companions Guild after a few hours of trials, haha

But was it worth it, you damned hutt?

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

I'm a Companion as well.

After the first dragon, they become horribly difficult to kill. Meeting a dragon is almost random, so you can be trekking happily around when one swoops over and decides to flambe you. Sadly they refuse to land and their fire attack can get you even underwater.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

How often do the dragons attack?

Because I want to happily roam the countryside slaughtering bunnies and other dangerous monsters without being constantly harassed by dragons.

Just reporting that I'm having no trouble using the mouse in the menus, either for scrolling or clicking. The character creation point, those menus & the System/settings menus were a little more hinky, w/the mouse feeling sluggish to respond, but it did/does work. The inventory/loot menus etc. it's been smooth & fine. So if you can't use your mouse in there, it must be a bug? Haven't done the hotkeys yet...just started really. Mouse "look speed" feels either a tiny bit too fast or a tiny bit too slow with the slider bar notches. Haven't turned off mouse acceleration.

Graphically on max everything it looks somewhat better than I was expecting, on my rig. That picture I posted of the bad-textured rock? Definitely in the game (table wood, up-close chains, etc), so agree @ about the varied texture stuff. fps goes up and down quite wildly but feels mostly smooth.

My first character. Still no idea what I'm going to do in the game yet. Time to play more and find out. Or go to bed. I'd expected to start earlier than I did and now it's already 2:40am. Bah.

Skyrim-s-0000000001b.jpg

Feels like I'm playing The Wither intro again, dragons, kings, running, silly tutorial. Mouse is a bit wonky, but I can probably compensate with the logitech applet. Of course you can't see the back of your character's head which you are going to be looking at 99% of in game time during character creation. That would be too easy.

Edited by Gorgon

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

Okay. One definite complaint so far: unmarked secret areas.

I just stumbled upon a high-level area that wasn't on the map, made it only a bit in, and then ran back out because I kept on dying. If I want to get back there, I have to remember how do get there and I can't fast travel. My only hope is that these type of areas will show up later in the story line.

Edited by Maria Caliban

I don't like how the Thalmor are immediately shoved in your face in the tutorial. On the other hand, it was nice how an Imperial stooge asked my High Elf whether she wasn't a part of their embassy. They still wanted to chop off her head, though. Jerks.

Much, much better than Oblivion. Runs better than Oblivion as well despite looking great.

I feel as though I've missed important backstories because I never played all the way through Oblivion. Why did the elves demand the worship of Talos be outlawed during the White-Gold Treaties? It seems like a major precurser to what's going on, but the game hasn't explained it at all.

Aldmeri philosophy 101:

*To kill Man is to reach Heaven, from where we came before the Doom Drum's iniquity. When we accomplish this, we can escape the mockery and long shame of the Material Prison.

To achieve this goal, we must:

1) Erase the Upstart Talos from the mythic. His presence fortifies the Wheel of the Convention, and binds our souls to this plane.

2) Remove Man not just from the world, but from the Pattern of Possibility, so that the very idea of them can be forgotten and thereby never again repeated.

3) With Talos and the Sons of Talos removed, the Dragon will become ours to unbind. The world of mortals will be over. The Dragon will uncoil his hold on the stagnancy of linear time and move as Free Serpent again, moving through the Aether without measure or burden, spilling time along the innumerable roads we once travelled. And with that we will regain the mantle of the imperishable spirit.

As for Morrowind, it is mostly gone after the Ministry of Truth finally crashed down and caused Red Mountain to erupt; the rest got taken over by Argonians. What was left of the Dunmer fled to Solstheim.

Most fun I've had in Skyrim so far:

tesv2011111104140109.png

Also:

tesv2011111104213814.png

FUUUUUUUUU-

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

I don't like how the Thalmor are immediately shoved in your face in the tutorial. On the other hand, it was nice how an Imperial stooge asked my High Elf whether she wasn't a part of their embassy. They still wanted to chop off her head, though. Jerks.

Yeah I've noticed a hell of alot of people reacting to my race, what I'm wearing and what weapon I'm using, the first time I went to the tavern in Riverwood the local alcoholic said "Either I'm drunk or you're naked!..probably both", turns out I'd sold the armour off my back in the trading post :fdevil:

I didn't mind seeing the Thalmor immediately, they most likely wanted to ensure that Ulfric's head rolls, plus not many people follow the lore so Bethesda probably just wanted to introduce them quickly.

On the whole I had a blast last night, there's issues to be sure but most of them are technical rather than plot/gameplay, I mostly spent my time cheering whenever I found a bookcase full of new lore :o

I've regained my faith in Bethesda's ability to produce an Elder Scrolls game.