MOD kit?

Would you like KOTOR to have a mod kit?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like KOTOR to have a mod kit?

• Yes
    • No

Wasn't is big bad Lucasarts who said no to modding because of some garbage about tainting the Star Wars universe or some such? I don't see us getting mod tools for this any more than the original, though it would be nice.

Not that moding is totally out of the question. I managed to give Canderous some Boba Fett armour.

*giggles like a school girl*

Modified Bastilas bikini to look Annah's vest. Unfortunately, she missed the most important part, her tail :p

Never figured out to add that extra geometries. Deleted the modified texture in disgust...

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

But what if Lucasarts MADE the editing tool themselves.

That's part of the problem. They don't want mods. Ever watched the discussions about Kotor modding on the Bioware boards ? The information control would have made an Iraqi information minister proud :p

Lucasarts is probably scared silly by the thought of Twi'lek pr0n all over the internet. :p

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Modified Bastilas bikini to look Annah's vest. Unfortunately, she missed the most important part, her tail :p

Never figured out to add that extra geometries. Deleted the modified texture in disgust...

That's a shame.

Craftsman, that's not the problem. They just don't want a ton of mods on star wars floating around talking about supermidichlorians, super lightsabers, Darth Vader VS Darth Revan, etc.

Got any pics? :p

Modified Bastilas bikini to look Annah's vest. Unfortunately, she missed the most important part, her tail  :p

Got any pics? :p

Nah, it was the tail that was important. The low-cut red and grey vest was easy to make in photoshop. Replace the colours on the bikini with the skin colour range. Retouch the leather traps and then you can put a new layer with the vest colours on top of that :p

Hello all,

wow, there are about 100 guests last time I looked, anyway guess I might as well reveal myself from the shadows.

I think the the whole "Don't talk about mods" thing at Bioware's forums was mainly because so many were whining about (and filling up pages fo threads) how NWN has a toolset and alot of people were insisting that KotOR's engine was just an update from Aurora etc...

The MOD issue is a weird one. You can't really claim it's because of LucasArts as the Jedi Knight games have SDKs and Editors galore. You can't blame Bioware because they released the toolset (And made a big deal of it) for Neverwinter Nights; and you can't really blame the XBox as Morrowind is a PC and XBox title and that has an Editing Suite and a significant Mod community.

There's probably some combination of them that added up to KoTOR not getting any MOD Tools. Also it never had a Demo either which always struck me as strange.

100 Guests eh? Well I did get links to this forum and the scans thread posted to the frontpage of EvilAvatar so maybe you can blame me for some of them...

Releasing mod tools would only benefit the PC consumer base and I'm willing to bet that it is not the PC game market where they really raked in the cash. If that's true, it's not particularly logical to pour what could be a sizeable amounts of resources into preparing and releasing mod tools. Even if they did, I can't imagine that anything would ever be produced that would make the mod tools worthwhile. No amateur mod would have comparable voice-acting and it does not appear as though the game's 3d environments are constructed as those of NWN or Morrowind are, but rather, are specifically crafted in a 3d modelling program by a game artist. I suspect that all we would see is a lot of small-time hacks and nude packs.

Well depending on how the tools and how mods may have worked, they could probably have run some competitions like with NWN except publish some winners on XB Live! also.

You can't blame Bioware because they released the toolset (And made a big deal of it) for Neverwinter Nights;

I wish people (well I guess mostly newer posters) thought that a while back (before KotOR's release) on the Bioboards, I remember a time when threads like that and otherslike (mainly) "X-Box/Consoles Vs. PC" filled pages.

It's because Jedi Knight series and related games are simple FPS/action games; even trategy games may fall under this category. RPGs like KOTOR that have wide appeal and a strong story may be more effected by this. I can't see the logic in it either (but who's to say lucasarts acted logically? ,but I believe it was at least one of the factors concerning KOTOR.