Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Could be fun to use them as cannon fodder.

Exactly! :(

...if I can't have one in every port for the lol's, I doubt I'll mess with that side of the game much. I just want to kill & loot & explore.

Please please let the exploration aspect be awesome/interesting.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Please please let the exploration aspect be awesome/interesting.

Given that only Oblivion really failed at this, there's every reason to believe it wil be fine in Skyrim.

Daggerfall, Morrowind, and Fallout 3 all had their assortment of problems, but mostly all created worlds that were fun to explore.

I think Morrowind still remains the best from an exploration-only aspect, but there's no reason Skyrim couldn't surpass it.

Say what you want about Bethesda, they seem to do a pretty good job learning from their failures. Their biggest problem seems to be that they always seem to find new ways to fail with each game so each game ends up with some serious flaws. But not the same flaws as the previous game.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Say what you want about Bethesda, they seem to do a pretty good job learning from their failures. Their biggest problem seems to be that they always seem to find new ways to fail with each game so each game ends up with some serious flaws. But not the same flaws as the previous game.

i think this describes how i feel about the bethesda sequel process very well

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

As always there is the worry that the PC controls are going to suck. They might decide to jack up the mouse speed to 'impossible to do anything with speed' just for the inventory and journal (Rage). there might be a quick targeting system that works reasonably well when keyed to a controller, but on PC makes you throw knives at random pedestrians when trying to fight guards (AssCreed). There might be leftover hardwired controller aim assistance that translates to unpredictable mouse behavior (Dead Space.. others)

Edited by Gorgon

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

I thought Oblivion controls were fine, it was just the interface. And it looks like Skyrim's interface will be even WORSE. No item value comparison, no paper doll to see what the hell you're wearing, everything is tree-tiered with one-column scroll downs, etc.

I mean, what, console players can only press X and up/down? They would be just fine with multiple columns at least. People could handle older Final Fantasies just fine.

Yes, it's a pretty bad intro, they went with the cinematic flavor but Bethesda just isn't experience or good enough with that. Writing also lacks subtlety although to be honest, I do think it's a step up from Oblivion and Fallout 3 from the little I've heard of it. Combat is the same as Oblivion.

..overall, none of that is likely to hamper my enjoyment of the game since I was expecting it and since those are not the elements that I enjoy in the Elder Scrolls series. That said, I'll be very disappointed if they don't nail exploration, atmosphere and lore this time and if the mechanics are as weak as in Oblivion.

Yes, it's a pretty bad intro, they went with the cinematic flavor but Bethesda just isn't experience or good enough with that. Writing also lacks subtlety although to be honest, I do think it's a step up from Oblivion and Fallout 3 from the little I've heard of it. Combat is the same as Oblivion.

..overall, none of that is likely to hamper my enjoyment of the game since I was expecting it and since those are not the elements that I enjoy in the Elder Scrolls series. That said, I'll be very disappointed if they don't nail exploration, atmosphere and lore this time and if the mechanics are as weak as in Oblivion.

Yeah, I noticed that voice-acting was pretty meh all around, although it's still too early to tell. Melee combat looked floaty still, which is a shame. Animations look a little wonky too.

The caves, the river, and that mist looked quite nice, however.

I didn't watch the "leaked" videos due to the dubious sources, but what I want from Skyrim is a unique and atmospheric world with interesting new lore (which has been the core of Elder Scrolls series, gameplay has always been mediocre at best). Basically, I want back what was lost after Morrowind.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

I watched a couple of minutes and then used my god like super powers to stop myself, it all looks and sounds good to me, a clear step up from Oblivion and Fallout 3.

Got to agree with Tig on the interface though, it's going to be murder with a mouse, I'll bet all they do is make the font smaller on the PC :lol:

Edited by WDeranged

I had to look up the release date the other day, and I'm a bit confused about the fact it is being released on a Friday in the US. Isn't Tuesday our standard release day? What does this mean for all those midnight release parties?

I just thought it was a bit odd.

Don't know why people get so excited about a leaked video...if they want to see the game before spending cash, they just have to wait for release day, when all the YouTuber's will upload stuff a few hours later. People are so impatient... :lol:

I'm not personally concerned about "intros" and voice acting to begin with. I just care about that explore factor, like I've mentioned already. But the console-friendly controls/UI *is* something I haven't liked the trend of, when it happens. I understand it, but I don't like it.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I don't know if I mentioned it yet, but I decided to go ahead and pre-order. I tried weighing the good and the bad of Oblivion and Fallout 3 and decided they were worth it. They just have some really memorable bad stuff going on. It sticks with you and makes it harder to remember the good. But the good was still there.

Anyway, I'm trying to decide if I'll play an Argonian or a Nord. Anyone else always feel inclined to pick their race based on setting in ES games? I'm trying to break the habit.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Anyway, I'm trying to decide if I'll play an Argonian or a Nord. Anyone else always feel inclined to pick their race based on setting in ES games? I'm trying to break the habit.

I've always gravitated toward Nords, went through Morrowind and Oblivion with Nord thieves, so I expect I'll continue the tradition.

I'm going to need better directions than "the secret lair."

-==(UDIC)==-

i started with the same character in morrowind and oblivion, and will do the same here: dunmer thief, small swords, light armor.

2nd char will probably be a orcish bandit/archer

3rd some sort of viking maybe

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

I have no idea what to start with. I tended to like magic+skills like sneak, or a sort of battle-mage, so I usually went with Breton's or the Dunmer in Morrowind & light armor. Been so long tho, I don't really remember how it all works. It'll be fun re-learning.

The kinds of characters I plan out never seem to do very well in-game. Probably because of the learning by doing mechanic. My battlemage's spells are too weak, so I use my sword instead and I never recover the disparity. There is always something more pressing to spend points in at levelup.

I wonder if jumping is in, it seems almost to have been lost to the ages these days.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.