RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS THREAD!

Gorth

Oct 30th 2006 10:28AM

Kind of late there, buddy.

Dang, it's always the little things that slip your notice.. my bad. :(

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

No saved passwords in GOG

Interesting little tidbit, wondered at how many answered like I did for that question on the survey.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I don't normally link CRACKED, but when I do, it's to gush over Half-Life.

Dr Freeman understands both particle physics and that if you wanted to listen to **** you wouldn't be running around throwing toilets at people.

This is a man who ripped a hole in reality rather than stop for one second to ask, "Should we be doing this incredibly dangerous experiment with me at ground zero?" He figured that slowing the game down by 13 words was a worse fate than ending the world, and for that he's the greatest action hero of all time.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

And for the Saints Row trivia you never actually needed:

Originally, two NPCs were supposed to be fighting in the city using giant **** as a sort of deranged lightsaber duel. One thing led to another, and soon tech artist Randall Hess added jiggle simulation, and programmer Eric Braun added spring-type physics. Finally, audio designer Brandon Bray incorporated sage advice for the sound effect to include, "more splat, less slap." A cult classic was born, and the penetrator has killed more than 2 million NPCs so far, and counting

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

May not be for sale though, since it seems that the shut down was not for 'standard' reasons like going bankrupt/ running out of money. The Stalkers sold 4 million+, with GSC self-publishing most of those, so it is highly unlikely to be direct funding issues.

the article says it could be due to a certain "government agency/police" taking interest in the company (whatever that means). maybe Grigorovich figured his company could've been taken away from him so he decided to "pull the plug" on the whole thing before it happened.

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

I really, really wanted a Stalker 2. :thumbsup:

One of the best series I know of, the Stalker series.

I'm with you, apparently to succeed on the FPS world you have to be generic. Too bad that Stalker was an original and good game.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Wow, they didn't pull any punches with their explanation either - basically they couldn't sustain a PC-only game focused on a European audience, and they botched a console port.

Of course maybe none of that's true and the Reptoids shut them down via a secretive government agency. Maybe Grigorovich retreated to Galt's Gulch in protest of the ignorant masses not appreciating him.

It's a shame, the series had a lot of sloppy and frustrating design in its first two games, but like Obsidian, GSC was getting better and better with every release. Call of Pripyat was a really great game.

It was a really effective setting, if nothing else. Here's hoping the property gets picked up by somebody else. Preferably not the Metro 2033 guys. I'd hate for the setting to be wasted on interactive films.

The. Greatest. Kill. Ever.

That was simply hilarious.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

That was the only game I was really looking forward to. :)

*waits for the inevitable half-ass STALKER reboot*

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.