RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS THREAD!

Gorth

The new studio apparently is called Square-Enix Montreal, and they're gonna develop a Hitman game.

Does that mean they're gonna shutter IO Interactive soon?

But that was like the only famous Danish game developer.. Besides the guys who made Limbo.. Now Sweden is gonna laugh at us again..

Fortune favors the bald.

Eidos Montreal studio boss Stephane D'Astous just tweeted that they are talking tomorrow about some of their "big plans". Interesting...

Square-Enix opens another Monreal studio, creates 250 new jobs.

Also they apparently are announcing a new Deus Ex game by Eidos Montreal, but that's not really a surprise nor very clear in the release.

didn't Deus Ex: HR sell about as much as Dungeon Siege 3?

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Don't think it did that badly. DS3 did 820k while DX:HR did 2.18 million.

From this : http://www.joystiq.com/2011/11/05/deus-ex-...nate-in-the-cy/

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Really? I was under the perception it had surprisingly underperformed. Never mind, then.

edit: Its price went down really quickly, too.

Heja Sverige!!

Well under performing can mean it didn't sell X amount as set by some suit so both could be true. I know they exceeded expectations for the quarter but that report lumped alot of other stuff together as well.

Poor Obsidian, though.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Really? I was under the perception it had surprisingly underperformed. Never mind, then.

edit: Its price went down really quickly, too.

So did Mass Effect 2's price. Yet seems to be considered a financial success. :lol:

Wonder where your misperception originates, as it's come up before here and been refuted before. Wishful thinking?

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

No, I'm actually hoping to get it as soon as my backlog is sufficiently reduced. I distinctly remember reading somewhere about DX: HR's supposed commercial failure.

Heja Sverige!!

Maybe this ? http://forums.obsidian.net/index.php?s=&am...t&p=1147778

Mind you not accusing Zoraptor of anything, but that was the first mention of sales on this board, that I tracked down. Doesn't really scream failure, though. Anyway..

Edited by Malcador

Well under performing can mean it didn't sell X amount as set by some suit so both could be true. I know they exceeded expectations for the quarter but that report lumped alot of other stuff together as well.

Poor Obsidian, though.

Considering they are not comparable at all in terms of costs theres nothing poor about it. Thanks to Anthony Davis we already know that DSIII was low cost compared to other full price games.

Anyway, about Deus Ex. SQE specifically stated in that report that they were very happy with DXs sales and want to continue the brand.

The price going down is also easily explained with DX beeing massivly overshipped in the beginning. Though (as with DSIII) it begins to stabilize. The List price itself is still $59.99.

Poor Obsidian, though.

Considering they are not comparable at all in terms of costs theres nothing poor about it. Thanks to Anthony Davis we already know that DSIII was low cost compared to other full price games.

Anyway, about Deus Ex. SQE specifically stated in that report that they were very happy with DXs sales and want to continue the brand.

The price going down is also easily explained with DX beeing massivly overshipped in the beginning. Though (as with DSIII) it begins to stabilize. The List price itself is still $59.99.

Not to diminish Obsid's achievements, but DXHR with its pretty small team was probably on the cheaper side of AAA games, even with the dev cycle.

Poor Obsidian, though.

Not to diminish Obsid's achievements, but DXHR with its pretty small team was probably on the cheaper side of AAA games, even with the dev cycle.

...Deus Ex: Human Revolution had a p. small team? Wasn't it around 100 devs?

...Deus Ex: Human Revolution had a p. small team? Wasn't it around 100 devs?

AFAIK they ran a much smaller team for most of the cycle, only ramping up towards the very end.

Of course, I lack comprison points to what the team sizes on multimillion-selling games are, but I'm thinking even 100 is in the lower end these days.

I never said DX:HR didn't make compirativly more money. It still cost obviously a lot more (both in development as in Marketing. Those CGI Sequences were probably not cheap.). Compared to other really "big" games the dev size seemed to be indeed small. But its still around ~100. There were probably other costs involved too as the dev team was just formed.

The dev cycle was actually not that long. Didn't they say 2 years too a while ago?

Edited by C2B

I never said DX:HR didn't make compirativly more money. It still cost obviously a lot more (both in development as in Marketing. Those CGI Sequences were probably not cheap.). Compared to other really "big" games the dev size seemed to be indeed small. But its still around ~100. A

The dev cycle was actually not that long. Didn't they say 2 years too a while ago?

It was announced May 17 2007. :)

But yes, to get back on track, I'm glad that they've managed to establish themselves and it looks like there now is a third studio that makes games I can really like. Which brings me to another one of them, Obsidian, do we have any idea what's in the pipeline, I feel like I've missed something?

Edited by Nepenthe

I never said DX:HR didn't make compirativly more money. It still cost obviously a lot more (both in development as in Marketing. Those CGI Sequences were probably not cheap.). Compared to other really "big" games the dev size seemed to be indeed small. But its still around ~100. A

It was announced May 17 2007. :)

But yes, to get back on track, I'm glad that they've managed to establish themselves and it looks like there now is a third studio that makes games I can really like. Which brings me to another one of them, Obsidian, do we have any idea what's in the pipeline, I feel like I've missed something?

Check the Obsidian General Section more often and you would get a lot of answers to all your questions.

But currently they are working on an original IP and a "high profile Animation" IP. There was also another project before those (Virginia) but we have no idea what's up with that. Also theres some other stuff going on.

Deus Ex Human Revolution (SE) had a big, full size AAA team. I'd say similar to Assassins Creed (Ubi)

Some developers like Rockstar are on league of their own... maybe they should be called AAAA :)

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/38662/I...l_Expansion.php

Today Tokyo-headquartered Square Enix announced plans to expand Deus Ex: Human Revolution studio Eidos Montreal by 100 staff to 450 total; meanwhile, Hitman development is set to begin at a new 150-head Square Enix Montreal studio.

Let's play Alpha Protocol

My misadventures on youtube.

Check the Obsidian General Section more often and you would get a lot of answers to all your questions.

But currently they are working on an original IP and a "high profile Animation" IP. There was also another project before those (Virginia) but we have no idea what's up with that. Also theres some other stuff going on.

Or not, as the second part of your witty reply shows.

Why? the statue seems cool.

Series of game-inspired Original Still Life Art Prints that depict some of Max Payne's inner demons and vices

I'd also been blissfully unaware of multiplayer.